Senior Pairs Entries | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Senior Pairs Entries

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
I'm not much of a fan of D/C, but I'm confused as to why one would be against D/C petitioning onto the world team. If he's healthy enough after an evaluation then I think the USFSA would be silly not to put them on the team. IMO,they've more than earned it. They've medaled on the GP for two straight seasons, defending national champions, 4cc medalists and 1st alternate to the gpf this season.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Much as I hate to admit it, Denney & Coughlin really are our most successful pair right now, to an extent that it would be logical for them to get a spot to Worlds. There are a couple of pairs that could unseat them but they simply have not yet, even if it's a pity they now won't have the chance in Omaha(Maybe the USFSA should go for a skateoff for the 2nd Worlds spot?)

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Yes, D/C are our most successful pair. But their international success is at a rather minor level. They're not in contention for a World title or even the podium. Best-case scenario probably has them 6th or 7th at Worlds, and that's IF Coughlin is fully recovered. Yes, they would probably place better at Worlds than, say, Scimeca/Knierim. But their placement would not be sufficient to net real gains, such as a medal or a third pairs spot for 2014.

The USFSA usually does not allow petitioning onto the team. The cases when it's occurred have tended to involve very high-profile skaters who were proven contenders at the highest level. Michelle Kwan petitioned onto the team in 2006 as 5-time World champion and 2-time Olympic medalist. Nancy Kerrigan petitioned on in 1994 as an Olympic medalist and two-time World medalist. Belbin & Agosto petitioned on in 2009 as Olympic medalists and three-time World medalists.

D/C obviously do not have any credentials at that level, and their inclusion on the team is unlikely to lead to either a medal or a third pairs spot in 2014. Therefore, I see no reason to allow them on the team ahead of the second-place pair in Omaha, who will have worked hard to earn that silver medal.

katymay

Medalist
Yes, D/C are our most successful pair. But their international success is at a rather minor level. They're not in contention for a World title or even the podium. Best-case scenario probably has them 6th or 7th at Worlds, and that's IF Coughlin is fully recovered. Yes, they would probably place better at Worlds than, say, Scimeca/Knierim. But their placement would not be sufficient to net real gains, such as a medal or a third pairs spot for 2014.

The USFSA usually does not allow petitioning onto the team. The cases when it's occurred have tended to involve very high-profile skaters who were proven contenders at the highest level. Michelle Kwan petitioned onto the team in 2006 as 5-time World champion and 2-time Olympic medalist. Nancy Kerrigan petitioned on in 1994 as an Olympic medalist and two-time World medalist. Belbin & Agosto petitioned on in 2009 as Olympic medalists and three-time World medalists.

D/C obviously do not have any credentials at that level, and their inclusion on the team is unlikely to lead to either a medal or a third pairs spot in 2014. Therefore, I see no reason to allow them on the team ahead of the second-place pair in Omaha, who will have worked hard to earn that silver medal.

I would agree with you if this were an Olympic year. However, we need to keep two slots, and if the top two do not stand a chance to do that...well, I would go ahead and allow them to petition in, IF they are skating up to their prior level. IOW, it would really suck to lose a slot for next year.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's pretty impossible for the U.S. teams to lose a spot in Pairs given the limited number of entries. To keep up two spots, the teams' placements need to be 28 or lower. Consider there is only 15 teams will be there ( per Tony Wheeler's currrent list), both teams would have to finish in the bottom two. In the SB's list, C/S is No. 9 and S/K is 14. When take out D/C, C/S is now in No. 8 and S/K is 13th. So 13+8 =24.

samson

Medalist
I'm torn about that decision. I suppose whichever the USFSA chooses I will be in support of. I think they'll have a hard time doing better than 7th. I just don't see them eclipsing any of the teams that beat them last year without perfect routines from them and major bobbles from the others (which is possible).

This grand prix their scores have been surprisingly close to some skaters like Kavaguti and Smirnov who seem to be losing more and more stock... but who knows! I will say that if this team decides to continue after after Sochi, or wants to make a splash at the Olympics at all, another trip to worlds with strong performances would be a huge help for them. The judges did see improvement in them and rewarded them thusly with two grand prix medals. They may yet be able to translate that in a gpf appearance next year... but I think going to worlds this year and showing consistency and building their reputation would be a valuable step.

But with that said I think the experience for a young pairs team to go to worlds would be invaluable. I don't know too much about our field right now. I HOPE HOPE that Castelli and Shnapir are able to build on their momentum from the fall and just bring it. It would be great to see them at worlds and I'd love to see them lock their ticket by winning. And I'd love to see Donlan and Speroff rebound. They showed so much promise and quality last year at nationals.

On a side-note does anyone else feel like Skating Club of Boston is having something of a revival? Between the young pairs teams, Ross Miner and now Christina Gao joining that camp the energy must be starting to buzz over there. As a former Bostonian and knowing Nationals will be there next year how great would it be to see all these skaters really come into their own and peak over the next year and a half!

Last edited:
I hope that USFS waits to see how the top 2 teams at Nationals perform before making the decision.

Denney/Coughlin are the most accomplished and reliable US team by far but if top 2 at Nats really deliver it would be very unfair to them to exclude them from Worlds.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Also, USFS has a chance to see how the top 3 pair teams perform (and how they are judged internationally) at 4CC's. Usual practice is to announce the World & 4CC's teams immediately after Nationals. I wonder whether they will wait to consider D&C's petition until after Worlds?

Yeah I would wait until seeing how 4CC has played out before giving an answer to D/C.

If you have two teams performing very well both at Nats and 4CC then I don't see the reason to giving D/C a special exception.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I am against it because I think he is wrong and probably will not be ready even if he thinks he is. I know it is his body and he and his doctors will ultimately have to make the call they think is correct, but I think that by trying to get ready to compete at worlds and competing there he is foolishly and needlessly risking further aggravation of the injury, which is somewhat serious. Better for them to get ready for next year and the Olympics even if that meant the US only has one spot. I've seen enough of injuries for this year.

Tesla

Final Flight
I am against it because I think he is wrong and probably will not be ready even if he thinks he is. I know it is his body and he and his doctors will ultimately have to make the call they think is correct, but I think that by trying to get ready to compete at worlds and competing there he is foolishly and needlessly risking further aggravation of the injury, which is somewhat serious. Better for them to get ready for next year and the Olympics even if that meant the US only has one spot. I've seen enough of injuries for this year.

I didn't know you knew John personally. Can you say "hi" for me?

tulosai

Record Breaker
I didn't know you knew John personally. Can you say "hi" for me?

Maybe I'm overly sensitive today, but I don't think this was necessary. I admitted "I know it's his body and he and his doctors will ultimately have to make the call they think is correct". I don't know him personally. However, I have worked in hospital settings in the past and I know what a labral hip tear is. In addition, I've taken time to read about them, both in my studies when I was younger and more recently. You can read about them too at mayo clinic, probably the most reputable American online source for medical information. At mayo clinic they say they can be relatively minor BUT they say that after surgry on one most people can return to sports in 4-6 months. I know most people aren't professional athletes, but he had surgery in early December. 4 months out from that is early April. Worlds are in early to mid March.

Either way, my point was I think (and it is just my opinion, which is why I use and used the word think) it is better to fully recover than to risk aggravating an injury. If John is fully recovered despite all odds, then I say give him a bye. But I think it's more likely that he is not, and that it would be a pity to risk it. Again, it is just my opinion. You can disagree and that's fine, but there's no need to be snarky about it.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
It's pretty impossible for the U.S. teams to lose a spot in Pairs given the limited number of entries. To keep up two spots, the teams' placements need to be 28 or lower. Consider there is only 15 teams will be there ( per Tony Wheeler's currrent list), both teams would have to finish in the bottom two. In the SB's list, C/S is No. 9 and S/K is 14. When take out D/C, C/S is now in No. 8 and S/K is 13th. So 13+8 =24.

13+8=21

Just a minor correction in math.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
13+8=21

Just a minor correction in math.

Hi MoonlightSkater, nice to see you posting, even if it's to correct my inept adding skills. :biggrin: But in any case, you further reinforced my point that I think two spots is almost a certainty even without D/C.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
D/C have no reason to try to compete again this season. It's not like they had a chance at a medal at Worlds and why take a chance and get injured again. I guess John didn't see what happened to Alissa.

samson

Medalist
Yeah, especially now that I'm hearing about the recovery period needed for this injury I think it's not smart for them to push for worlds. The experience would only be valuable if they could go clean. Otherwise it's a waste of time and actually sounds like they could risk further injury. I say they focus on smart recovery and come out next fall like gang busters.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I could not see Denney & Coughlin being flat out given a bye to Worlds. The USFSA only has done that were World medalists or big stars in the past. I could however see them getting named to the 4CCs team along with the top 2 from Nationals, and the USFSA then saying they will send the top 2 their to Worlds, or the top finisher amongst the 2nd placers at Nationals and D&C as the U.S Champions are guaranteed Worlds according to the rules I believe. If they arent ready for 4CCs though no chance.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
BTW the U.S would never lose 2 spots even if D&C dont go to Worlds. The U.S pairs arent that bad, there is no way they wont reach a total of 28, especialy as others have said there will probably be only 15 or barely more than 15 teams at Worlds. Meanwhile they would never gain 3 spots even with Denney & Coughlin this year.