Food Network's Celebrity Cook Off Season 2 (Johnny Weir) | Golden Skate

Food Network's Celebrity Cook Off Season 2 (Johnny Weir)

I'm watching the start of the food show. So far it's hard to tell if anyone's any good, because the cooking hasn't started. Johnny is rather on the boastful side, but it remains to be seen if he can put his money where his sequins are. (Yes, he has on sequins. He even has sequinned shoes.) He sounds as if he could be knowledgeable. So far the two who give me the most hope for excellence are Dean McDermott (a surprisingly calm, warm guy who is Tori Spelling's husband and her costar on a reality show), Kathy Najimy, Chilli (a singer from the group TLC), and possibly Carnie Wilson of Wilson Phillips. The two I understand least as contestants are socialite Cornelia Guest (interestingly, a vegetarian, and so far she looks as if she knows how to chop vegetables, which argues some kitchen experience) and Gilbert Gottfried, who can't even think of anything to cook.

Earlier today, I watched some of the reruns of the previous season's shows, and the guy who knocked me out was Lou Diamond Phillips. What a great competitor and a splendid cook he was. He's confident without being boastful, precise without being inflexible or uptight, and resourceful without being mentally fragmented. And he's so pleasant to watch and listen to! I've always liked him, and now I admire him even more. He's gone onto my list of celebrities I'd like to meet. (Not ahead of Kurt, Daisuke, or Michelle, of course!)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Johnny talking food = good.

Johnny talking about Johnny = not shocking, but total turn off... I hate his "celebrity persona" he thinks he needs.

and *shocking* he doesn't listen to his coach. OMG! Stop the presses! :disapp:

But I want him to go further than the PETA lady... GAG ME.

Last edited:
Is the PETA lady Kathy Najimy? I don't mind her. Part of it is that I used to watch her in NUMB3RS, a show I enjoyed (which I bet Mathman watched as well), so she's a familiar personality to me. What surprised me is that I didn't mind Cornelia Guest, the other vegetarian. I thought she'd be a lot snobbier. I really like Chilli, the singer, and so far my fave is Dean McDermott. I'm rather glad we don't have to listen to Gilbert Gottfried's artificial vocal delivery any longer.

I agree with you completely that Johnny's "celebrity persona" is annoying and actually makes him seem more standard-issue. I always remember an article by an editor in Blades on Ice years ago that said that Johnny was unfailingly obliging to fans and reporters. But I guess common decency and civility is dull (not to me, mind you), so Johnny has decided to project something else.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
She's nice enough, I just don't like her "charity".

Johnny away from the cameras/shows is much more plesant (imo) than his on camera persona. Some of it isnt fake (like the i listen to no one attitude) but the i am all about myself stuff shuts down. That's been my (limited) experience anyway.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I can see that Johnny will have a problem. Not because of his celebrity persona but because he cooks & thinks diet food which (as Guy told him) will not appeal to the masses they will cook for). I don't think he'll get too far so I'm rooting for Dean & Carnie.

She's nice enough, I just don't like her "charity".

Ah, I get you. I wasn't thinking about Najimy's charity when I was watching her, but of course now I make the connection. Sorry; I must have been half asleep when I read your comment. I remember our conversation some weeks ago.

Merrywidow, I agree that if Johnny just does diet food, he'll sink like a stone.

heyang

Record Breaker
and *shocking* he doesn't listen to his coach. OMG! Stop the presses! :disapp:

LOL - I was thinking the same thing.

There's nothing wrong with making 'light' dishes, but they need to be correctly seasoned. I think Johnny was relying on the expensive truffle oil, instead of putting in fresh herbs and spices to give his meatballs flavor, as well as adding something (i.e. moistened bread crumbs) to make the chicken moist. I don't recall Guy saying chicken fat, but he did say not to overwork the meat and not to make dense meatballs.

So far, I think Dean, Chili and Carney are the front runners, just as Lou Diamond PHillips and the rapper were the front runners last season.

Glad Gilbert is gone just because of his voice.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Why was Gilbert even on there if he couldn't cook?! I mean I know why he said yes (his career tanked after his getting fired for stuff he said in a stand up act), but why did the show?! it's obvious you have to know a little about cooking, and he supposedly had 0!

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
I agree about Gilbert, his voice was driving me crazy and he had to go. Why would he come on a cooking show if all he knew how to make was PB&J?

Other than Johnny, I'm actually pulling for Hines Ward (I love football as well as figure skating. Weird, right?) And I'm afraid Johnny might be gone soon - he made the least popular dish on his team, so he's lucky they won. I've watched enough Food Network to know that Guy and Rachael do NOT do diet food lol.

I have no particular feelings for football, but I like Hines Ward from his stint on Dancing with the Stars. (Except that he scared the living daylights out of me when he fell on his partner, Kym, and nearly snapped her neck. It took a while before I could watch them dance again after that.) I think his mother, who is Asian (Korean, if I recall), has taught him a few dishes like the one he created last week. So he has potential to make some interesting foods, and he's one of the ones who could win.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Anyone else still watching? Johnny's hung in as long as he had based on his performance abilities (presentation of the food) over his technical ability. Irony?

I'm just watching tonight's, so I don't know who's off yet. I agree that it's ironic that Johnny is better at presentation than at technique. But Dean is even better at presentation, and he cooks better, too. I enjoy Dean so much. Such a surprise to realize that a guy from a reality show would have such steadiness and charm.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Dean acted before he ruined his first marriage to make that reality show of a family... but I agree - tonight he's awesome. It sucks he's stuck with Johnny.

I don't know anything about him except that he's married to Tori Spelling. I expected someone who was a bit more of a hustler, but he conveys substance. I love how much he seems to enjoy Johnny's company, and vice versa.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah he and Tori met on the set of a lifetime movie. wrecked a supposedly (according to him right before their affair) happy and tight marriage (with kids). pretty sad situation. I have a hard time liking a guy like that LOL

But he lives to cook another day - and that's as it should be. Johnny was definitely the weakest link of the cooks left. Not surprised with the results tonight.

heyang

Record Breaker
I vaguely recall Dean's pre-Tori relationship. People get into bad relationships or good relationships go bad. As long as the mistakes are not repeated continually and the person shows growth, there really shouldn't be negativity on past behaviors. So far, I haven't heard of he and Tori being at odds.

I"m glad Johnnie acknowledges his weaknesses. I do think people 'discount' kids eating habits. Part of it is dependent upon parental guidance. Kids who are exposed to a lot of different flavors appreciate them, but of course, there's always going to be something you might not like. (i.e. My nephew loves sushi and all other Asian foods that don't have cilantro, but he hates cheese - won't eat pizza. He's also anti-vegetable right now, but I think most people grow into vegetables.)

So, I'm glad that Dean is safe and agree that Johnnie was the weakest of the remaining.

I am sorta getting tired of Carnie and Kathie always being flustered. Of the remaining 4, I think Kathie's the weakest - she pretty consistently doesn't complete her dishes (i.e. no salsa this week.)