Kiira Korpi withdraws from European Figure Skating Championships | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kiira Korpi withdraws from European Figure Skating Championships

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It is too bad she is missing Europeans. It would have been great to see her go up against Kostner and the Russians. I really dont think she would have won, I think that would have still been Kostner, but who knows, Carolina can be inconsistent sometimes too and is probably still building her season at this point.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry she'll have to skip Europeans due to this, but hope she recovers in time for Worlds!

lakeside

On the Ice
This is bad news. :cry: So many injuries this season! Best wishes to Kiira. She’s a really beautiful skater.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
why not ? Liza has beaten Carolina before
if she gets all her TES and improves her PCS she can win Euros

No, I doubt Liza will be able to top Carolina. Carolina's jumps aren't as strong but she's got Liza beat pretty much everywhere else. I think with Korpi out Liza has a great shot at silver which is great for her first time at Euros...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
No, I doubt Liza will be able to top Carolina. Carolina's jumps aren't as strong but she's got Liza beat pretty much everywhere else. I think with Korpi out Liza has a great shot at silver which is great for her first time at Euros...

I also think Caro will win. She has actually become one of the most consistent senior skaters in the world the last two years, which is astonishing given her past.

IleK

On the Ice
Yesterady was a very bad day for me because of this news. I had so much hopes for Kiira this season. I thought it was her season, the best she ever had, two wonderful programs, lutz and flip back on track, her first GPF. Then that injury before GPF followed by not such a good performance ant than by a disastrous performance at LP nationals. It is true that she had a perfect SP but after watching the LP I knew something happened.
My hope was she would be european champion. She could beat Carolina, she was once first after SP, several times second so this year it could had happened because she showed more consistency in LP than ever and gained back the lutz and flip. And I would have loved to see her and Kostner fighting for the first place. But I already know that she and her team are very wise, they always put Kiira's health in first, as they did last year when she withdrew from worlds. Now it is very important that she can compete well at worlds to gain back the 2 spots for the Olympics. Of course Finland will lose the 2 spots for Euros next year because I dont see Juulia in top 10 but that is less important.
Ar least somebody will win her first european medal this year. Maybe Adelina or Liza or maybe both. Or somebody that no one expects.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Kostner vs Tuktamisheva can be like 65-55 TES/PCS for Liza and 55-65 for Carolina! Kostner could get low TES and Liza would have to be flawless on all the jumps. So Liza could not fall below 65 TES if Kostner gets like near 65-70 PCS and Liza gets like 50-55 PCS. Kostner only lost to Liza by a point in 2011 TEB. So it's very competitive and could be close but because Kostners content on jumps is so easy and mistakes are rare for her now - I know she made a lot of mistakes when she added back in the lutz at a recent competition but don't know what she did at Italian nationals on jumps- but jumps are kind of irrelevent for her in some ways with her near 70 PCS so liza needs like all triple lutzes and triple flips and no mistakes can be afforded because even if her pCS gets past 55 it's not going to be 70 like kostner.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I know she made a lot of mistakes when she added back in the lutz at a recent competition but don't know what she did at Italian nationals on jumps

She was very good (not great) at her Nationals, and mostly clean. She hit her lutz at the top of the program. I found her program very lacking in transitions, particularly in her jump set-ups (nothing new there). She takes a looooong time to set up her lutz.

pohatta

On the Ice
Although she has won it many times, Kostner doesn't usually skate to her potential at Europeans. Her points since 2007 have been 174-171-165-173-168-183. Her only clear victory (more than a couple of points) was last year.

gmyers

Record Breaker
She was very good (not great) at her Nationals, and mostly clean. She hit her lutz at the top of the program. I found her program very lacking in transitions, particularly in her jump set-ups (nothing new there). She takes a looooong time to set up her lutz.

I see she was credited with flip and lutz and did not get negative GOE on anything -it was so generous that she got 66 tes in 76 PCS! You can reduce that PCS by 10 and if Kostner gets even 60 TES than she has Euros in the bag totally and completely and no one can touch her!!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
though I dislike Korpii for her beauty PCS I always feel sorry for injuries, she let the wide open for Elene or Sotnikova
Sotnikova might get bronze even with her 2 falls in LP :disapp:

on the other hand, happy this will really give Liza the chance to capitalize on Euros for the Gold :)

Is world champion and lucky Carolina Kostner not going to euros?

Layfan

Record Breaker
Oh bummer! That is a real bummer. Kira could have used euros to keep the momentum for worlds. She's one of those skaters. Lovely but always a bit of an afterthought so the more comps she can get the better.

Caro - has she skated in any competition this season? Euros must be a bit like US Nationals where it's hard to make that your first competition of the season. My bet would be on Liza at this point.

figureskate

On the Ice
Caro - has she skated in any competition this season? Euros must be a bit like US Nationals where it's hard to make that your first competition of the season. My bet would be on Liza at this point.

She competed at Golden spin of Zagreb and Italian Nationals. She was very solid at Nationals nailing in the free skate 3lz, 3f-2t, 2a, 3lo, 3t-2t, 3s-2t, 3s. She received about 143 but, you Know, pcs were very inflated. Still a nice performance for her, wouldn't count her out of a fifth gold

Layfan

Record Breaker
She competed at Golden spin of Zagreb and Italian Nationals. She was very solid at Nationals nailing in the free skate 3lz, 3f-2t, 2a, 3lo, 3t-2t, 3s-2t, 3s. She received about 143 but, you Know, pcs were very inflated. Still a nice performance for her, wouldn't count her out of a fifth gold

That's great! Will be wonderful to see Caro back.

Joubabe

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm so sorry to hear that Kiira is out with another injury. I was hoping that she would have an outside chance to finally get that gold medal at Euros. I'm just glad to hear that the achilles injury is not a tear which would have ended her season or maybe even her career. She's not just a beautiful skater, she's got the technical ability as well if she'd just stay healthy.