Alissa Czisny injured during FS on Jan 12 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Alissa Czisny injured during FS on Jan 12

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm wondering just how stress that let hip is going to be able to take now that it's had surgery on it twice now. Alissa is not a young skater and injuries start piling up as a skater gets older.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Not bragging. if it werent' worth talking about there wouldn't be replies but the point is sadly the chance is gone for now and sadly maybe forever. ...

I believe the criticism was of the tastelessness of the Gone with the Wind remarks, not the fact of Alissa's terribly unfortunate injury, which is of course something fans will discuss.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
^^This is typically the point where skaters tend to retire. Once the injuries start, it's hard to 100% rehabilitate one injury b/c another piles on top of it.

Alissa's never been a strong jumper to begin with and once you start running into multiple surgeries on one hip, it's a slippery slope that's very tough to climb back up...

My heart breaks for her. I wish she'd have just taken the rest of this year off and then tried to make a comeback next season...

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's official. Alissa is out:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=48878&type=media

It also confirms that she indeed dislocated her hip. Here's hoping she has a speedy recovery.

ETA:I agree that it was better that this was to happen at a small competition then at Nationals.

I think Alissa just wasn't ready to come back. It's no one's fault. Who can blame her? It's her last year before the Olympics. Everyone wants to make an impact in this season. So often, the preceding year's World's podium is the same as the Olympic podium. She probably felt fine and was doing well in practice, but this was the same hip she had surgery on. She probably needed to do another six months of PT before returning to competitive style skating. I hope Alissa can come back next year. She is still, to me, the most beautiful skater (skating-wise) of all of the current ladies.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
^^This is typically the point where skaters tend to retire. Once the injuries start, it's hard to 100% rehabilitate one injury b/c another piles on top of it.

Alissa's never been a strong jumper to begin with and once you start running into multiple surgeries on one hip, it's a slippery slope that's very tough to climb back up...

My heart breaks for her. I wish she'd have just taken the rest of this year off and then tried to make a comeback next season...

I think that would have been the wise thing to do. Given her history the U.S IMO was NEVER sending her to Worlds this year with Olympic spots on the line, no matter how well she skated at Nationals. She could have come back strong next season, and especialy if the U.S had 3 spots (which they should) she would have a fighting chance at the Olympic team if she was in great shape next year. Pushing hard and maybe rushing through a bad injury to come back for Nationals, when if she was logical she would realize she was never going to Worlds this year anyway, was quite pointless, and sadly cost.

Vicky458

On the Ice
I know that Rudy had both his hips replaced and he is able to jump. I hope she gets good medical care and advice.

macy

Record Breaker
oh no...just ruined my day even though i saw it coming. poor girl...i can't imagine how she's feeling right now both physically and emotionally. the US championships will be missing a lot of its elegance this year.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Bit of a pattern - bad luck among US world team members that struggle:

2007 - Czisny 15th at worlds, bombs 2008 Nationals

2008 - Wagner 16th at worlds, bombs SP at Nationals following year

2009 - Czisny 11th at worlds, bombs Nationals following year, missing Olympic team

2010 - Nagasu slips to 7th at worlds, barely misses 2011 team

2011 - Flatt skates on injury to 12th place at worlds, can only muster 6th at Nationals in 2012

2012 - Czisny with epic meltdown at Worlds, injury takes her out of the running in 2013

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I know that Rudy had both his hips replaced and he is able to jump. I hope she gets good medical care and advice.

Eek. That does not seem like a good idea. Hopefully financial considerations aren't weighing into his decision and it's actually supported by his doctors.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

2009 - Czisny 11th at worlds, bombs Nationals following year, missing Olympic team

2011 - Flatt skates on injury to 12th place at worlds, can only muster 6th at Nationals in 2012

2012 - Czisny with epic meltdown at Worlds, injury takes her out of the running in 2013

So... you're saying Gracie won't make the Olympic team :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Eek. That does not seem like a good idea. Hopefully financial considerations aren't weighing into his decision and it's actually supported by his doctors.

Rudy had his hips replaced in August 2003. After recovering, Galindo continued to tour with COI until it went out of business in 2007

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I believe the criticism was of the tastelessness of the Gone with the Wind remarks, not the fact of Alissa's terribly unfortunate injury, which is of course something fans will discuss.

There is a lot of tastelessness that goes on it is in respect to the interpretation; lighten up folks. Let's just leave it folks.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It will be hard for Alissa to watch nationals on the sideline. I hope she heals and rests well. I still do have concerns about athletes pushing themselves so hard and fast - it is a fine line. You want everyone to do their best and make the team but there are only two spots. Someone has to win and somenoe has to well not be so lucky.

R.D.

Record Breaker

Another thing to note is that having a third spot would have only benefited Nagasu in the 2011 case - as she finished 3rd at Nationals that year. For all other cases the third spot would have gone to someone else and the skater in question would still miss out.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Oh. Of course it seemed inevitable but my heart still sank to read that it's official.

I know it's hard because she wanted more but if she doesn't ever get back to competition I hope she learns to be proud of all she accomplished and how hard she fought.

Nigel

On the Ice
It will be hard for Alissa to watch nationals on the sideline. I hope she heals and rests well. I still do have concerns about athletes pushing themselves so hard and fast - it is a fine line. You want everyone to do their best and make the team but there are only two spots. Someone has to win and somenoe has to well not be so lucky.

I suspect Alissa will watch Nationals......from the "sidelines"......but in Omaha.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
that would be tough too - watching in Omaha - I always wonder where do these skaters get their money to go to such events when they aren't competing or whatever.