Alissa Czisny injured during FS on Jan 12 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Alissa Czisny injured during FS on Jan 12

yuki

Final Flight
and just like that, she is Gone With the Wind.

That was in really poor taste.

Anyway, wishing a complete recovery for Alissa and I hope to see her again on the ice no matter the context (competitions or shows), but only as long as she is fully recovered.

MasterB

Final Flight
That was in really poor taste.

Anyway, wishing a complete recovery for Alissa and I hope to see her again on the ice no matter the context (competitions or shows), but only as long as she is fully recovered.

You are so right, I apologize. Sometimes my stupid side takes over.

R.D.

Record Breaker
and just like that, she is Gone With the Wind.

oh snap ! :popcorn:

After pulling out of NHK, in retrospect - should she have simply taken the whole season off (like Flatt did)? It may have been loss of precious time in the short run, but given the condition she was in, and her age, to rush back in and risk re-injury would certainly be career-ending. I know athletes have a tendency to want to rush back into things, and it always ends up hurting them (literally) in the long run.

Czisny could have taken this season off, and perhaps, if we have good fortune and the 2013 world team is able get back that 3rd spot, she would have a fighting chance for Sochi next season if she SLOWLY got herself back over the remainder of this season and the off-season. But now, that is in major jeopardy. If it's not too bad, perhaps she might still be able to come back (perhaps with a limited jump repertoire) but more likely than not this is the end of her career.

We hope that this sad injury does not mark the end of Alissa's competitive career. But if it does, she can hold her head high. Here is the club of U.S. ladies since 1950 who won two or more national championships.

Tenley Albright, Carol Heiss, Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, Linda Fratiane, Rosalyn Sumners, Jill Trenary, Debi Thomas, Michelle Kwan, Alissa Czisny.

meem

On the Ice
After this bad news, it's nice to see/realize that Alissa ranks up there with our finest (altho' it's a little bit of a jolt not to see Kristi's name). I wish AC had taken this entire season off but I wonder if she felt pressure to compete again this season because of her age (her own pressure, that is). For me, Alissa has been the most elegant figure skater ever, especially her Sabrina program. I hope she heals well and then joins SOI. It's just not worth future permanent injuries to continue competing IMO.

After this bad news, it's nice to see/realize that Alissa ranks up there with our finest (altho' it's a little bit of a jolt not to see Kristi's name). I wish AC had taken this entire season off but I wonder if she felt pressure to compete again this season because of her age (her own pressure, that is). For me, Alissa has been the most elegant figure skater ever, especially her Sabrina program. I hope she heals well and then joins SOI. It's just not worth future permanent injuries to continue competing IMO.

:thumbsup: Kristi is one of the few skaters who won more world championships (2) than national championships (1). Carol Heiss is another, with 5 worlds and 4 U.S. Of course Yagudin is the king -- 4 world championships and 0 nationals.

Here is Sabrina. Best skating dress ever. :) Dick Button says, "She is one of the most exquisite skaters of all time...and look at that! Even her back spiral position is acceptable" (as contrasted with all the other skaters' unacceptable positions. :) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s8UlN4umNs

Not perfect? OK, how about this? (still not perfect but be sure to watch the whole video --" ...and the home... of the... brave!")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCBmjO_v1WI

hjm2013

Spectator
...and that'll pretty much do it for her career I'm afraid.

I hope it won't end her careerr. She's pretty tough and has returned to competition after disappointments in the past. I love her skating, and I think she's an absolute sweetheart. I'm so sad about this latest injury and I hope she recovers quickly.

hjm2013

Spectator
Latest news

I am in tears for her. Just read that she dislocated her hip and had surgery. She even waved to the fans as she was taken off the ice on a stretcher. She is an absolutely dear and sweet person. Breaks my heart. Absolutely breaks my heart.

hjm2013

Spectator
We're all bummed out

Accepted :). Sorry if I sounded too harsh, sometimes my bitchy side takes over :laugh:.

I think all of us are pretty upset about this news and when people are upset...well, sometimes we say things that don't come out well. Gads, I'm just heartbroken for her. I really, really was hoping she would make the World Team this year even though I knew it was a long shot. Such a total and complete bummer.

Icey

Record Breaker
It depends on whether this was a simple dislocation or a complicated one (torn nerves, etc). Any official announcement?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A hip dislocation after having surgery for a torn labrum seems pretty bad to me. I don't think it matters whether the dislocation was simple or complex. The fact that a simple UR caused the dislocation indicates to me that Alissa's hip joint is too fragile for competitive skating.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
A hip dislocation after having surgery for a torn labrum seems pretty bad to me. I don't think it matters whether the dislocation was simple or complex. The fact that a simple UR caused the dislocation indicates to me that Alissa's hip joint is too fragile for competitive skating.

at least in this stage of her recovery!

I wonder if her camp got a hint that if Alissa didn't comeback this season she'd lose all "backroom" support going into the Olympic season?

yuki

Final Flight
I think all of us are pretty upset about this news and when people are upset...well, sometimes we say things that don't come out well. Gads, I'm just heartbroken for her. I really, really was hoping she would make the World Team this year even though I knew it was a long shot. Such a total and complete bummer.

I know :(. I don't think she would have actually made the Worlds team, but I rooted for her to have 2 great skates at the US Nationals. She probably didn't want Worlds 2011 to be her last major competitive outing and it's completely understandable, but after today I'd rather she didn't compete again unless her injuries are fully healed - it's not really worth it, imo. Hoping that she recovers quickly and that, whatever she decides about her skating career, she will be at peace with herself - she has much to be proud of.

samson

Medalist
This is so sad to hear. What a lovely skater and person. I have to say watching the videos of her sp and lp I could see how wise she was to not do the grand prix but also it looks like she would have had a real chance at something of a small comeback at nationals. Both programs are beautiful and it's clear that with more conditioning and time the jumps would have been there.

What a talent. I have no idea what this will mean for her skating career but I hope that we do see her on the ice again. So many gifts and wonderful qualities. It is amazing to think of the career she has had. several international wins. two national titles and gpf title and two other podium finishes.

And that list of ladies she joins as a two time national champ is certainly one to be proud of. It's quite an illustrious list but also interesting to actually realize how many great US ladies skaters are not on that list!

I hope whatever it is at this point that she has a speedy recovery and we get to see her beautiful skating again.