2013 Canadian Sr Ladies SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2013 Canadian Sr Ladies SP

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Wonderful to see her live! I enjoyed the ladies event. I agree with the remarks about them looking terrified for so many years and we certainly had our share of splatfests. They did themselves proud!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Great performer! That was a fun short program. I can definitely see her possibly getting on the podium at Worlds, which is after all in Canada. She could easily upset Ashley Wager. Not too sure how she'd score against a clean Yuna or Carolina in the short. I doubt ISU judges would give her clean SP 70+ points.

A clean Yu Na would crush her in the short. A clean kostner would beat her, but not sure by how many points exactly.

The amount of transitions in Osmond's program is incredible. Every single element is performed out of connecting movements and has footwork coming out of them as well. She's an incredible performer. Always gives it 110%. Great attack.

One thing I would really like her to improve is her posture. Her back makes me cringe, she was slouching throughout.

But yes, if she skates like this at Worlds, everything is possible really. A clean Kim is out of reach but I think that a clean Osmond would be capable of beating anybody else, if they make mistakes.

I love Lacoste's skating but it's just so frustrating to see her crack under pressure time and time again. :( I mean 3loop is her favourite and best jump, can't believe she fell on it out of all things...

It's incredible that a sixth placed lady has landed a clean 3lutz/3toe! Good times for Canadian skating.

Alexe Gilles - once a GP competitor - only 12th after a disappointing performance.

Kate Charbonneau 14th after blowing all her jumping passes. :/ So sad because her skating is really beautiful. I wish she could develop more consistency.

Grenier and Rheault who were 7th and 8th last year, trailing the field in 17th and 18th this time round. :/

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
A clean Yu Na would crush her in the short. A clean kostner would beat her, but not sure by how many points exactly.

Yes, I agree. It's a great program, and she sells it well. But Yuna and Carolina win if all three skate clean in the SP. I think Ashley and Mao might top Kaetlyn too, if all skate clean, but it might depend a bit more on points, GOE, etc., and Kaetlyn will get an extra boost from the Canadian crowd at Worlds.

I do really like Kaetlyn. Love her speed, energy, animation, and lack of fear! Her posture is a bit of a question mark, though. She has great movement through her body--she skates "loose," which I love--but the classic skating posture is not there. She is lovely, though.

shine

Record Breaker
Yes, I agree. It's a great program, and she sells it well. But Yuna and Carolina win if all three skate clean in the SP. I think Ashley and Mao might top Kaetlyn too, if all skate clean, but it might depend a bit more on points, GOE, etc., and Kaetlyn will get an extra boost from the Canadian crowd at Worlds.

I do really like Kaetlyn. Love her speed, energy, animation, and lack of fear! Her posture is a bit of a question mark, though. She has great movement through her body--she skates "loose," which I love--but the classic skating posture is not there. She is lovely, though.

I don't see the posture problem that some speak off. She's rough aroun the edges still, but I think her upper body carriage is pretty good. From what I've seen of her this season, the only thing that Kim has a clear advantage of over Osmond is a 3lutz/3toe, and probably higher PCS due to reputation.

Last edited:

noidont

Final Flight
She is energetic, but even a clean Liza T. or Adelina should be able to beat her in the SP? Their programs are alike, and frankly I like Liza's program better. Osmond program's second half leaves a lot to be desired. It slowed down a lot after the 2A.

shine

Record Breaker
She is energetic, but even a clean Liza T. or Adelina should be able to beat her in the SP? Their programs are alike, and frankly I like Liza's program better. Osmond program's second half leaves a lot to be desired. It slowed down a lot after the 2A.
What are you talking about? She does some footwork out of the 2A, does a stag jump before changing direction, then goes right into her straight line steps, which is a level four. After the sitspin combo, she does a half loop into split jump which leads right into her final spin combination. Empty?? Her SP is seriously as packed as any ladies short program can be and that's exactly what makes her stand out.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
70.04? :eek: Heck, she is the Yuna!

SC is so charmingly generous and love their skaters so much! :biggrin:

samba

On the Ice
The amount of transitions in Osmond's program is incredible. Every single element is performed out of connecting movements and has footwork coming out of them as well. She's an incredible performer. Always gives it 110%. Great attack.

One thing I would really like her to improve is her posture. Her back makes me cringe, she was slouching throughout.

But yes, if she skates like this at Worlds, everything is possible really. A clean Kim is out of reach but I think that a clean Osmond would be capable of beating anybody else, if they make mistakes.

I love Lacoste's skating but it's just so frustrating to see her crack under pressure time and time again. :( I mean 3loop is her favourite and best jump, can't believe she fell on it out of all things...

It's incredible that a sixth placed lady has landed a clean 3lutz/3toe! Good times for Canadian skating.

Alexe Gilles - once a GP competitor - only 12th after a disappointing performance.

Kate Charbonneau 14th after blowing all her jumping passes. :/ So sad because her skating is really beautiful. I wish she could develop more consistency.

Grenier and Rheault who were 7th and 8th last year, trailing the field in 17th and 18th this time round. :/

Is Alexe Gilles a Canadian now? Did not know the whole family became Canadian?

jaylee

Medalist

I agree that just about anything is possible for Kaetlyn. No skater has built up unbeatable momentum the way Kostner did last year or Ando did the year before. The ladies field is still wide open and unfortunately the level of technical content is pretty weak, making it easier for Osmond--a strong jumper with great presentation--to break through. And she'll be skating in her home country; if Artur Gachinski can get a bronze skating in Worlds in Russia, why not Osmond?

If Kim/Kostner/Asada are perfect, then I'd expect them to be ahead of a perfect Osmond, but it's not likely that they'll all be perfect.

I think that if Osmond is clean in the SP, it'll be easier for her to stay close to the veterans (even if they're clean) in that segment than in the FS. The PCS factoring is lower in the SP and that's a big advantage of the veterans versus Osmond. Osmond also has a 3/3 which is a huge help in the SP, and Mao and and Ashley do not.

Osmond also doesn't have the wow factor of the 3/3 in the FS, though the 2A/3T means she's not actually hurting herself in base value.

I don't see the posture problem that some speak off. She's rough aroun the edges still, but I think her upper body carriage is pretty good. From what I've seen of her this season, the only thing that Kim has a clear advantage of over Osmond is a 3lutz/3toe, and probably higher PCS due to reputation.

Well, all three of the ladies world champions who will be at Worlds have stronger reputations than Osmond, which generally correlates with higher PCS.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

Eliza would be outlevelled and the GOEs would favour Osmond. PCS would be closer, but Osmond should really be pulling in huge choreography and transition scores - few programs are as packed as this one. Adelina has beaten her in the short program this season already (Nebelhorn), so that's obviously possible.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If everyone skated cleanly at Worlds I predict Osmond would place between 3rd and 5th in the SP. Definitely behind Yu Na (probably by atleast 6 points), behind Kostner, and I could see her being placed either over or below a clean Asada and Wagner if they are still only doing 3/2s depending how the judges feel that day. I think she would beat the Russians, Sotnikova's reputation is continously going down the longer she keeps failing to deliver, and I agree on ImaginaryPogue's assessment of how she would be scored vs Elizaveta in the SP, atleast in Canada.

I agree though the LP would probably be harder vs the veteran skaters as the PCS is a bigger factor there.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
What are you talking about? She does some footwork out of the 2A, does a stag jump before changing direction, then goes right into her straight line steps, which is a level four. After the sitspin combo, she does a half loop into split jump which leads right into her final spin combination. Empty?? Her SP is seriously as packed as any ladies short program can be and that's exactly what makes her stand out.

ITA. When you talk about a program packed with transitions, this is packed. Whoever put this program together really knows how to milk points out of the system; there are transitions into and out of every single element, right on down to the spins and they aren't easy transitions either. That kick coming out of the 3-3...to have enough speed and control to kick and turn out of that is pretty awesome.

I definitely could see her cracking the top five this year if she goes clean. She's not as strong in the LP but her SP should keep her within striking distance. I don't think she'll hit 70 at worlds but I think 65-68 is a strong possibility if she skates like that.

I really enjoy watching her skate. :)

gimble

On the Ice
Wow. She really skated well and seemed to be enjoying as well.
She doesn't look like a junior either. Great program, well skated.
I'm looking forward to seeing her skating for many years in the future.