Lysacek out of US Nationals | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Lysacek out of US Nationals

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I mean, the same thing could be said of Oda, Verner, and Brezina. He's actually in pretty good company...

Verner and Brezina to a much lesser extent. I thought Verner should have won himself a World medal at some point but I dont think he is a spectacular skater. He is just decent all around with nothing spectacular, but also really weak spins, as well as being inconsistent. Brezina is just a jumping bean even at his best, I dont consider him anywhere near Abbott in overall talent. Oda I never really liked, I find his artistry and style of skating immature, although at his best he is quite a good technical skater in jumps and spins. I think Abbott is easily the most talented of all those guys.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Verner and Brezina to a much lesser extent. I thought Verner should have won himself a World medal at some point but I dont think he is a spectacular skater. He is just decent all around with nothing spectacular, but also really weak spins, as well as being inconsistent. Brezina is just a jumping bean even at his best, I dont consider him anywhere near Abbott in overall talent. Oda I never really liked, I find his artistry and style of skating immature, although at his best he is quite a good technical skater in jumps and spins. I think Abbott is easily the most talented of all those guys.

You're probably right. Tomas used to be a very talented (yet sporadic) jumper a few years back, his 4t-3t was a monster. Agree about the spins, but with the right packaging, his artistry was also good, more of an outgoing performer type compared to Abbott's elegant artistry, but his Gypsy Swing program was a good example of "good Verner". Oda I agree does not have much to offer in terms of artistry, but his jumps are just so good and he has good basics, you would think he should have been able to Joubert himself to the podium by now. And Michal I think has the potential to be artistic if he could just stop getting crappy programs. He's been a jumping bean up to this point, but there is the room for him to improve in terms of artistry and become not a great artist, but a skater like Javier who has great technical abilities and has improved his artistry enough to be a worthy world medal contender. Of course, the artistry won't matter unless Michal starts landing the big tricks again, but I'm hoping this slump is temporary and not an indication he's following in his headcasey teammate's footsteps...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Brezina lacks stamina too. He always seems to run out of gas in his LP.

This is true, though his stamina seems to have improved since relocating his training base to the US, it's just that it's hard to notice it because he's been hot and cold with his jumps since the stamina improved. He used to always skate perfectly until like 3/4 of the way into his program then start to have falls and pops, but now the mistakes don't seem to be lumped in any one area of the program, and actually, it seems like he usually lands most of his later jumping passes these days.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Lysacek says: "Sizing up my competition"

Per this afternoon's tweets from ‏@USFigureSkating, Lysacek spoke to the media in Omaha (Jan 27) (emphases added):

- "I'm feeling great and I'm glad to be here. I'm fully recovered and I'm healthy. If this event was 3 weeks later, I'd be there" @EvanLysacek

- Lysacek says he admires Plushenko and his success after a layoff provides encouragement. Although "I feel like Vancouver was yesterday"

- . @EvanLysacek in next year "the plan is to compete as much as possible. I want to be World #1 like I was in 2010."

- . @EvanLysacek "For the first time, I am pain free."

- Lysacek says he was training two quads for his free skate and noticed the pain during practice. #Omaha2013

- Sounds like @EvanLysacek's quad of choice is the toe. #Omaha2013

ETA, and then the man himself tweeted:

@EvanLysacek
At the @USFigureSkating Men's Freeskate. Sizing up my competition. Check out the live broadcast at 2 on @NBC. @NBCOlympics #Sochi2014
11:23 AM - 27 Jan 13​

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hey, Evan showed up here in a suit! Does that count? :) He caused an "Evan Jam" in the concourse. So far we have had Hughes Jams, Weiss Jams, Yamaguchi Jams, etc but no Todd Jams...didnt see him this week. But Rusty Capp, the hired comedian, grabbed Scott Hamilton and checked his credentials and had Ryan Bradley take him away....it was the funniest skit they did all week.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
LOL at Evan talking about being World #1 again. Talk about a delusional dreamer.

If people call Plushenko delusional, what must they think of Lysacek? At least Plushenko has still been training and competing!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If people call Plushenko delusional, what must they think of Lysacek? At least Plushenko has still been training and competing!

I agree with you actually. Also Plushenko hasnt come out and said he is going to win the Sochi Gold (which I think even he realizes would be a huge miracle). Evan who is likely far less competitive than even Plushenko at this point is the one out to lunch with reality. Hope he shows up at Nationals to take 6th place next year.

evangeline

Record Breaker
If Lysacek is surrounded by sycophants like Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic, it's not surprising he's so delusional about his chances of defending his OGM.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Lysacek is surrounded by sycophants like Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic, it's not surprising he's so delusional about his chances of defending his OGM.

Will be fascinating how those afformentioned sycophants like Hamilton and Bezic will react then he skates a clean short program at Nationals and possibly finds himself in 4th or 5th if he doesnt attempt a quad, or heaven forbid he somehow makes it to Sochi, when he does a clean short and finds himself in about 12th place. Unfortunately I doubt Evan will even show up at Nationals so we probably wont get to find out, but would be/would have been fascinating to witness. If we are lucky both Bezic and Hamilton will have a heart attack in the booth, and be unable to resume their commentary careers ever again.

I don't think Hamilton and Besic are sycophnants at all. They are enthusiastic about skating and give encouragement to all skaters. Plus, they work for NBC television which naturally wants to cash in on whatever name recognition Lysacek may still have with the once-every-four-years crowd.

Likewise, I don't think Evan has any delusions about his chances of winning another metal. They are (as we say in the old west),"slim to none, and Slim left town."

If you watch the body language between Scott and Lysacek at the end of the interview, it is pretty clear that they are both pulling our legs. Especially the part abput how many quads Evan is going to do.