Senior Short Dance (Canadian Nats) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Senior Short Dance (Canadian Nats)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Given the plethora of level 4s given for the YP, you've gotta assume that the panel was on the generous side, though V/M definitely had a great skate. As Mrs. P said, he looked like he actually enjoyed what he was doing, which adds to the polka feeling.

Oh no, such an unfortunate mistake for Ralph/Hill. And so costly too. :(

They are one of my favourite dance teams but being so far behind now, that's it. They are off the team. :(

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, unfortunately making up ground in dance is almost impossible, particularly when the tech panel is being very generous. I like Ralph & Hill, and will miss seeing them next year. :cry:

Kypma

Final Flight
Yes, unfortunately making up ground in dance is almost impossible, particularly when the tech panel is being very generous. I like Ralph & Hill, and will miss seeing them next year. :cry:

Did I miss something? I don't recall hearing that this was to be Ralph and Hill's last season... Please say it isn't so!

Why do you think the tech panel was generous?

I can't answer for dorispulaski, but I think it has something to do with the amount of level 4 polka patterns seen - throughout the fall, even the top two teams in the world were struggling with achieving level 4's, so to have so many in one place seems odd. However, that would be in contrast to how strict the technical panel was last year, and that had turned out to be a good thing, so I'm not sure why they'd have become more lenient this year.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
While I am ready to believe V&M deserved 2 level 4's on the YP, and a level 4 on the not touching step in the SD, the likelihood of P&G getting 2 level four YP segments, and Paul & Islam getting two level 4 YP segments and Orford & Williams geting one Level 4 YP segment, and Ralph & Hill getting 1 level four YP segment, and Paradis & Ouellette getting one YP level 4 segment, and Poulin & Servant getting 1 level 4 YP segment (in fact only the last two teams didn't get at least one level 4 Yankee Polka segment) is pretty striking. That's more level 4 YP segments than you'd see if you added all the level 4 YP segments that have been done so far this year. It looks like the tech panel was fairly lenient to me.

http://results.skatecanada.ca/2012-2013/2013CDNS/2013CDNSSrDanceShortsegJudgesDetails.pdf

I would guess it is not the same panel as last year...some tech panels are rather lenient (think 2011 GPF, where practically every team had level 4 rhumba segments) and some tech panels are rather stringent (2012 Skate Canada, where Tessa & Scott did not receive the minimum TES for Worlds (not that they needed it, because they had already achieved and overachieved the TES needed at 2012 Worlds). That was one tough panel...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Why won't you see Ralph & Hill after this year, Doris? Are they done?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm afraid they are going to finish out of where they will be funded...

when that happens, a lot of skaters either can't afford to continue or decide not to continue.

I hope R&H stay with it.

I particularly liked their programs last year.

Also, when you look at the PCS, both in the SD and FD, Ralph/Hill were clearly sixth so the judges are sending them a not very subtle "YOU CAN LEAVE NOW" message. :p

herios

Medalist
Also, when you look at the PCS, both in the SD and FD, Ralph/Hill were clearly sixth so the judges are sending them a not very subtle "YOU CAN LEAVE NOW" message. :p

Please, the message sounds more like "You got to roll up your sleeves"!.
With more work, they can come back. 2 years ago they were also out of contention and they pulled it together last year.
Also, they are good enough to be kept in the pool, you never know what can happen to the top teams, as we have seen, last year P/I got injured, this year W/P. It is foolish to think a federation to send a team which was 13 in the world into retirement.
Based on the results, they are 5th and part of the team, because W/P are injured.
It is the same like when Tessa and Scott were out. 6 teams were on the roster.

Doris I am sure we will see R/H at least at a "B" competition next year.

Last edited:

heyhey

On the Ice
I would have to agree with Doris and Colleen in terms of a coaching change. It's obvious that R/H is a talented team but have been playing second fiddle to Paul Poirier...The ideal situation would have been for them to switch coaches last year to someone like Wing/Lowe. I understand that they have loyalty to the program at the Scarborough skating club, school etc but I think we can all agree that the only time they got decent programs is when Poirier/Crone disolved...nothing personal against Poirier but it's just obvious that at that rink - he is numero uno...

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
i would have to agree with doris and colleen in terms of a coaching change. It's obvious that r/h is a talented team but have been playing second fiddle to paul poirier...the ideal situation would have been for them to switch coaches last year to someone like wing/lowe. I understand that they have loyalty to the program at the scarborough skating club, school etc but i think we can all agree that the only time they got decent programs is when poirier/crone disolved...nothing personal against poirier but it's just obvious that at that rink - he is numero uno...

ita.

Reginald

Match Penalty
The results at Canadian Nationals were very predictable.

I (and probably most other people) got all the gold medalists correct.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I would have to agree with Doris and Colleen in terms of a coaching change. It's obvious that R/H is a talented team but have been playing second fiddle to Paul Poirier...The ideal situation would have been for them to switch coaches last year to someone like Wing/Lowe. I understand that they have loyalty to the program at the Scarborough skating club, school etc but I think we can all agree that the only time they got decent programs is when Poirier/Crone disolved...nothing personal against Poirier but it's just obvious that at that rink - he is numero uno...

Paul Poirier happens to be the most talented figure skater at that rink and so it's certainly possible that Carol Lane considers him to be her best pupil. But Paul and Asher Hill have a good friendship as far as I know.

heyhey

On the Ice
Hi Ryan - I agree with you that it is most likely that all skaters at the Scarborough club get along - judging by their tweets. I just have a hard time believing that the coaching staff cannot give both G/P and R/H solid programs. I mean they don't have the plethora of skaters as the Detroit Skating Club. And this has been going on for years. From an outsider's perspective it appears that it's acceptable to have R/H play second fiddle to G/P at that club...again I think this team would be better represented from another coaching team - whether Wing/Lowe or even Dubreil/Lauzon...