2013 Canadian Nats Senior FD | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2013 Canadian Nats Senior FD

edge1

Spectator
Was very happy to see the end results being :
Virtue/Moir
- Gilles/Poirier
- Orford Williams

In my opinion, the 3 better teams at the Canadians, but wished R&H would have also skated clean. I find Paul and Islam very boring and Blah..... and question their skating strengths.

I wish all 3 teams success at 4CC and a speedy recovery for W&P !

Go get them Team Canada !!!

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Paul Poirier has never been as highly regarded by international judges as nationals ones and he never will be (although at some point Nationals judges will probably clue into reality when it comes to him, god knows when that will be though).

Really??? Crone & Poirier medalled in their first GP event, 7th at 2010 Worlds, and were 3rd at the GP Final in 2010/11, so yeah, I would say that international judging panels have always liked Paul Poirier.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Maybe. Still there's too many 10 for almost everything from almost everyone. The 10 is somehow perfect since it's the maximum score. While they didn't show their perfect skating and cosiderably lost TES to the rivals of much lower rank. Moreover, they removed their last lift whereTessa was standing on Scott's laps and changed it into much easier performed stuff. Which means that they still can't handle their lifts well enough.

Your arguments make no sense: too many 10's from almost everyone. Where was their skating flawed, and not deserving of the 10? What TES did they lose?

Perhaps the lift was changed to make it flow into the program more. Perhaps the current incarnation is actually more difficult than the original lift. How do you know it was changed to make it less difficult?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Really??? Crone & Poirier medalled in their first GP event, 7th at 2010 Worlds, and were 3rd at the GP Final in 2010/11, so yeah, I would say that international judging panels have always liked Paul Poirier.

7th at a post Olympic Worlds like I said, which are always the weaker. At the Olympics that same year they were someting like 14th. The GP final I will give you as a significant result (even though V&M and some others were missing, otherwise they wouldnt have ever had a medal shot there) but that was a really weak year for dance in general, the Shibutanis with juniorish presentation winning the World bronze that year ever, and even then Poirer was only 10th at Worlds.

Most importantly he has never received, nor will he ever receive IMO anywhere close to the same level of scores at a World Championship or any international event as he gets at Canadians. Funny how that is.

edge1

Spectator
Nobody does, everyone at their own nationals get inflated scores, check it out !

Not sure why anyone is doubting that scores are inflated at their own Nationals, its done everywhere, it part of the game !

Do you thin P&I would get 66pts in a short program internationally??

Scores are given slightly higher at nationals to everyone because everyone does it, its a vicious circle, look at the facts before making comments !

edge1

Spectator
As far as Crone and Poirier are concerned, 7th at worlds, Olympics, grand prix finals ect..... is quite a life story, and one that would be the envy to most people, kids grow up dreaming of going to Olympics, so i would never knock down an athlete for achievement, even if hes not your cup of tea!

How many people could tell stories like these two? there are two or three very negative people of this tread, you know who you are.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Most importantly he has never received, nor will he ever receive IMO anywhere close to the same level of scores at a World Championship or any international event as he gets at Canadians. Funny how that is.

Neither has any other skater, including Plushenko, among other. Nobody gets the kinds of scores at an ISU event that they get at their home country's events. Lang & Tchernichev (sp?) won a new car for the most 6.0's at Nationals. How many 6.0's did they get internationally?

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Your arguments make no sense: too many 10's from almost everyone. Where was their skating flawed, and not deserving of the 10? What TES did they lose?

Perhaps the lift was changed to make it flow into the program more. Perhaps the current incarnation is actually more difficult than the original lift. How do you know it was changed to make it less difficult?
I can ask you the same things: how do you know it wasn't changed to make it less difficult? Where the prog deserved almost all 10s? What TES they lost you asked? Oh that's easy- check the protocols. Unless you think that to skate technically worse than their "rivals" of much lower rank is the maximum of Voir's ability, then yes- you do make sense. :laugh:
Next time come up with something more constructive than your lame bickering and lousy insults if you want to be taken seriously in the discussion.

katia

On the Ice

You are saying that they WILL never receive the scores they get at Canadians? Funny how you can see all the future scores of G/P.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Next time come up with something more constructive than your lame bickering and lousy insults if you want to be taken seriously in the discussion.

I checked the protocols and other than a missed level on the spin, they achieved all of their levels.

I came up with constructive criticisms. You statements made no sense and still don't. Sour grapes and nastiness is hardly criticism of the program.

I pointed out that there is no evidence that the lift was changed to make it difficult. That's an assumption that you made. The lift was changed and you jumped to the conclusion it had been made easier. I don't know if it is easier or more difficult, but just because something is changed, doesn't mean it was simplified. It's still a level 4 lift.

Program choreography is always changed throughout the season. The Mahler program we saw in Thornhill when it debuted looked markedly different when it was performed in Vancouver. Some things were more difficult, some less. Just because the elements or choreography is changed is no indication that the skaters were incapable of performing the material, just that the material needed to be refined or changed in some way so that it flowed more smoothly. When we watched the debut of the Mahler program, my friend said "Well, it's not seamless, yet. It will be by the time they get to Vancouver" and it was.

There are a couple of spots in the Carmen program which are not yet seamless, but by the time they get to London, they will be.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Get back on topic folks. Consider this the warning. If the insults continue we will have to issue formal infractions. Let's get along or move on.

Jade

Rinkside
Their is a lot of talk here about Piper's skating ability what about Williams skating ability, Orford is certainly the stronger in that team. His skating will
not earn them much on the world stage.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Their is a lot of talk here about Piper's skating ability what about Williams skating ability, Orford is certainly the stronger in that team. His skating will
not earn them much on the world stage.

I love that Piper and Paul are such great friends, and clearly enjoy skating together. They can fix those basics if they spend the time on it, and don't just focus on tricks. Weaver/Poje needed to take a few years to find their connection and grow their skills together. Or, jumping on another thread where Piper and Rudy were goofing around with pairs skating, Paul is a good singles skater. Maybe they could give the pairs teams a run for their money. They'd make a great pairs team. They have the energy, the focus on the tricks, the crazy/silly personalities, etc.

But I have to confess that I have thought of Nicole and Paul being a much better match in dance. I'm pretty sure Paul would have to go to Vancouver though, which would be good, but I don't think would ever happen.

geoskate

On the Ice
Orford is certainly the stronger in that team.

Totally disagree on this. I think he's very good also (not just her).

Breaking up a team that has already been very successful, and that seem to get along very well, would be just silly.