Teams for ISU championships | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Teams for ISU championships

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
So I guess it's a skateoff for the third men's spot (Rogozine/Balde) and waiting to see if Weaver/Poje are healthy for the third dance spot. I actually think they should have just given the third men's spot to Rogozine. Balde isn't any better than him.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
As for criticisms of Weaver/Poje earlier in the thread:

Have they always had determination and ambition? Sure. What world-class athletes have not?

They also seem to value good sportsmanship. I do not think that either one would tolerate any selfishness or entitlement in the other.

Their tweet below is perfectly innocent, to my eyes. Please don't tell me that words like these are being turned against them. :bang:

@WeaverPoje
..We had a great time seeing our amazing friends compete and meeting all of you. Now it's back to work! Hope to see you @ you-know-where..!
8:01 AM - 21 Jan 13

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
‏@SkateCanada
We just announced part of our #fsworlds13 team at the CN Tower! pic.twitter.com/PsU8aVTg
8:19 AM - 21 Jan 13
https://twitter.com/SkateCanada/status/293392360291835904

The photo shows:
- Virtue/Moir; Gilles/Poirier
- Chan, Reynolds
- Osmond
- Duhamel/Radford; Moore-Towers/Moscovitch

No surprises there.
Just making note that Skate Canada is leaving some of its options open before announcing the complete team.

ETA, quote from Skate Canada press release:
"Although Canada qualified spots for three men, three dance teams, two pair teams and one woman, at the 2013 event, additional athletes will be named to the team following the upcoming ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships in Osaka, Japan later in February."
http://skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/2344/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Wow that is the most awful photo imaginable... all of them look just awful, and most of them are actually so attractive.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I have absolutely no issue with W/P getting on the team with a medical bye. They finished fourth at last year's worlds for heaven's sake! If that doesn't make you deserving of a bye, I don't know what does. Furthermore, even with a difficult GP season this year, they still nabbed two bronze medals, far better than anyone else fared (except for V/M). I just don;t think recovery by march is realistic given the nature of the injury, but if it does happen, more power to them!

The obvious choice for alternates would be Orford/Williams, of course, after their bronze medals. But, I can't help but think that Skate Canada must be pondering this. We are fighting for three spots to the Olympics, after all, and it's entirely possible that Gilles/Poirier could achieve this, but I wonder how their programs will be received by the worlds judges. Putting them aside, however, I think the next best team in terms of scoring potential would be Paul/Islam, if they could get through their programs the way that they did during their senior B events this year. They were scoring well into the mid 80's, and have improved greatly in speed and polish since then. I know they're inconsistent, but I also think they're a safer bet than Orford/Williams in terms of trying to scrounge out Olympic spots should the need arise, since I think O/W are incapable of those kinds of numbers even with a clean skate. Of course, there's really no way to justify sending them when they didn't finish third, and since they wren't going to 4CC, there's no avenue for them to "face off" against Orford/Williams, so to speak. Really, they should have gotten the chance to do at least that, especially since they're willing to let the men skate off at 4CC even though Rogozine was the clear victor there (in terms of bronze). Perhaps this is just wishful thinking from me.:disapp:

Dragonlady

Final Flight
This is a good idea as it is likely one of these 3 ladies will be going to the Olympics ( assuming that Osmond finishes top 10 at worlds ). Also that ensures that all 3 get important ISU ranking points no matter who they choose to seniorize internationally.

Osmond has to finish in the top 12 at Worlds to secure that second spot, not the top 10.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Why would they be given a Bye in a heartbeat? Seems to me as if W&P feel entitled to a placement at Worlds even though they didn't skate at Nationals. I realize they are injured, but that's part of the life of a skater and it happens to other people all the time. It's not as if W&P are World Champions so I think the spots should go to those who earned them at Nationals.

Spots on the Canadian Worlds Team are not earned at Canadians, they are earned through their performances throughout the fall season as well as the results at Canadians. The only guaranteed spots are the Champions. The other placements are made by Skate Canada's international assignment committee. So Weaver & Poje deserve consideration for a spot on the team.

Please don't apply American rules to Canadian team selection.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/...3,4844-205151-222374-nav-list,00.html?id=1255

Does this change anything? The minimum scores for singles and pairs have dropped, but the ice dance ones stay high. I know that Virtue/Moir, Weaver/Poje, Gilles/Poirier and Paul/Islam met these minimums already, but I'm not sure about Orford/Williams. I think they might have met them last season. Can anyone confirm??

O/W met the SD standard at Junior Worlds last year (30.64). And they met the FD standard at NHK (40.88).

http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/...3,4844-205151-222374-nav-list,00.html?id=1255

Does this change anything? The minimum scores for singles and pairs have dropped, but the ice dance ones stay high. I know that Virtue/Moir, Weaver/Poje, Gilles/Poirier and Paul/Islam met these minimums already, but I'm not sure about Orford/Williams. I think they might have met them last season. Can anyone confirm??

It means Balde has the minimum scores and presumably he will be sent to Worlds if he places higher than Rogozine.