2013 US Nationals Junior Ladies | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Junior Ladies

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love to see Mariah and Polina go 1-2. They skated with much more maturity then Karen.

vera01

Final Flight
Junior ladies SP results:

1 Polina Edmunds, Peninsula SC 58.17
2 Mariah Bell, Rocky Mountain FSC 56.63
3 Karen Chen, Peninsula SC 54.34
4 Barbie Long, Illinois Valley FSC 51.05
5 Maria Yang, Washington FSC 48.75
6 Katia Shpilband, Ann Arbor FSC 46.04
7 Amber Glenn, Dallas FSC 45.28
8 Olivia Serafini, SC of New York 44.15
9 Amanda Gelb, Los Angeles FSC 43.65
10 Dyllan McIntee, SC of Phoenix 43.19
11 Madison Vinci, Washington FSC 42.82
12 Brianna Laxson, Washington FSC 40.89

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm hoping Barbie comes back with a strong FS. She did not have the best of days today. I really like her style!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'm hoping Barbie comes back with a strong FS. She did not have the best of days today. I really like her style!

I like her too! I was right next to her coach during warmup and I enjoyed their rapore. Something I have never experienced at a skating evevt is being able to look closely at a skaters face after a skate as they skate over to the kiss and cry and their coach. Very interesting to almost feel their emotions.

louisa05

Final Flight
We were really impressed with Mariah. I thought she was the most polished and mature girl. Polina skated extremely well, too. I told my friend (not a fan and not sure what is scored--but she really enjoyed seeing the comp and learning a bit) after Polina's skate that I could see either one in first.

We really felt that it was possibly just a bit too much for a girl named Barbie to skate in bright pink. LOL.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I hope Polina does not grow too much more. I really like her skating and style, but she already seems so tall and she's only 14. But it might just look that way because she's very long limbed and thin/wiry. She seemed the fastest across the ice to me, which is why I think I was really taken with her performance. Mariah was great too, she's very expressive.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I would love to see Mariah and Polina go 1-2. They skated with much more maturity then Karen.

I disagree about Karen. I think she has a lot of maturity and control for a 13 year old. I really love how she skates to the music, not through it and she really uses the interesting moves to highlight different parts of the music. In particular, I notice her arms. She doesn't flail them all over the place -- rather she is very intentional of how she uses them. I absolutely love the rocker she does into her 2A -- it actually reminds me of a similar move Hanyu does to his 3A in his SP. I seriously watched her do that move like a billion times. She also has a lot of good speed considering she's doing a bunch of transitions. Also her spins are no doubt the best of the field. It sounds like injury has hampered her training, so all things considered she did alright. Also I dig her costume! I love that electric blue color. That lip is a concern, though -- it was not even border line.

Polina had a ton of speed and good for her for doing the 3-3. I feel she doesn't know what to do with her long limbs, but that will come with time.

Mariah Bell was a joy to watch. She has actually grown, both physically and artistically, quite a bit. She had some great transitions into her jumps. I love the dark green dress she wore -- very appropriate for the music she skated to.

Too bad again about Barbie, but I really think she's grown too. She looked quite mature and was very confident despite the mistakes. I hope she gets the 3Z-3T in the long because it was quite lovely in JGP.

All in all, it's going to be great to see the FS! Can't wait!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Seemed like the ice was zam'd slippery side up for the first group last night. Barbie seemed really disappointed (and rightfully so, she's been skating WAY better than that!) with her skate, but she's still in striking distance of the top 3. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Mariah Bell - she's got that indefinable something where you just HAVE to watch like Jason does. I noticed it back in her NOVICE days when I first saw her, so I am thrilled to see her in second. :)

skatel80

On the Ice
What a wonderful event that was! I absolutely loved the top 3, Though karen had more jump problems than shes had all season here I loved her skate, she was so gutsy to go for 3lz 3lo (as she has been all season!) her skating is stunning and I loved the intricate transitions in the program and those spins ..Oh my!:clap:
Bell really does have something special in her skating ! she was wonderful to watch :)
Polina also impressed me with her 3/3 and speed

Country
Russia
Junior ladies SP results:
1 Polina Edmunds, Peninsula SC 58.17
2 Mariah Bell, Rocky Mountain FSC 56.63
3 Karen Chen, Peninsula SC 54.34
4 Barbie Long, Illinois Valley FSC 51.05
All, who writes, write about these four.
Does it mean that they (all four are known for me) are significantly better, than other competitors (who are all unknown for me)?

louisa05

Final Flight
All, who writes, write about these four.
Does it mean that they (all four are known for me) are significantly better, than other competitors (who are all unknown for me)?

I thought they were. And the others were unknown to me as well. Some of them had really bright moments that indicate future potential, but not everything was together yet. A few had costumes, music and choreo that my friend and I thought was a bit too mature for them which made it hard for them to express the right way. Forgive me for not saying names, but we didn't get a program and the performances aside from the top four kind of ran together for me.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yeah the top 4 after the SP were the podium contenders going into this event, the rest of the field is pretty much unknown. I thought Barbie had grown too, she and Polina both look so tall now, they used to be so little. Also I thought Barbie's jumps looked higher than usual, maybe that's why she was having trouble with the landings? I know at her JGP, she got a few URs, so maybe she's been working on jump height to fix that and the result is just not as much control with the landings. Polina's speed is just wow, really brings to mind Kostner during her teen years with the fast skating, long limbs and hard 3-3s! Karen I agree is really special but she's still just a little girl. I'm glad Mariah's jumps seem to have gotten more secure as she's grown, I was afraid they would get worse, but no that lutz was really nice. I hope the medalists end up being the top 4 after the SP, in whatever order, I really want to see Polina and Mariah on the JGP next season so I hope hope for their sake they can hang on to a podium spot so as to not miss out again (I really felt both should have gotten JGPs this past season quite honestly).

mskater93

Record Breaker
There was a clear "line of demarcation" between the top 4 and the next 8 in terms of what was put on the ice.

Country
Russia
louisa05 silverlake22 mskater93 thank you very much for your answers!
There are no videos, so I can not estimate by myself.

Also I thought Barbie's jumps looked higher than usual, maybe that's why she was having trouble with the landings?
It is good if when girl grows her jumps grow with her.

I really want to see Polina and Mariah on the JGP next season so I hope hope for their sake they can hang on to a podium spot so as to not miss out again (I really felt both should have gotten JGPs this past season quite honestly).
Polina was not stable enough at the beginning of the season, and it is the main reason why she was only substitute at JGP Events 2012/2013.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow hard to believe i remember seeing Mariah for the first time two years ago as a tiny Novice skater at Nationals with that watch me gene when she skated. Now she's grown up and become a sophisticated young lady. I was also worried about her losing her jumps but they seem to be a bit bigger.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Love Karen Chen, this should be her Junior debut right? Surprised to see her in 3rd. Really want to watch videos to see the top 3 :)