2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP

noidont

Final Flight
Zawadzki is not much faster than C. Zhang and not any more consistent than Nagasu. Why does USFSA love her so much? There is nothing about her that stands out? It isn't like she is cracking out 3lz-3ts either. Is it because she is blonde?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
How come a wooden Ashley and Agnes with a fall are higher than gorgeous Mirai. Frankly, she and Gracie are my fav US skaters. Ashley is consistent but she's unpleasant to watch, she reminds of a wooden toy - stretch your arms, lift your arms...all her movements don't look nice to me. Agnes seems artificial to me.
I think the placement reflects the intention of sending AW and AZ to the Worlds and secure 3 spots for the next year. Mirai is inconsistent.

Well it makes sense for the USFSA and U.S judges to go into Nationals with a "if she stands up most of the 2 programs she wins, period" attitude when it comes to Wagner. Whether her skating is everyones cup of tea or not fact is she has the most international street cred right now, she is by far their best hope for a high finish or possible medal at Worlds, and she has been their most consistent and reliable skater by a long ways the last 2 seasons.

How they scored Nagasu vs Agnes given Agnes having a fall was a surprise to me, and I do agree telling of the where the USFSA wants to go with this. Agnes still has to deliver a strong enough LP to preserve her spot though, since even if the judges would rather give it to her, if Nagasu outskates her by enough they would have no choice.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Zawadzki is not much faster than C. Zhang and not any more consistent than Nagasu. Why does USFSA love her so much? There is nothing about her that stands out? It isn't like she is cracking out 3lz-3ts either. Is it because she is blonde?

I have noticed this for 2 seasons now with Zawadzki being overpromoted
really ? she is unreliable and is prone to LP meltdowns her worst case she can score in 120-130+ overall in an international scorings

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
I dont know why everyone is hating on agnes. The reason she is in second is because her two successful jumps were textbook perfection.Yes she had a fall, but it was on a very minor element that doesn't cost huge points. I dont think there has been any overpromotion. Yes she can be inconsistent but besides the 2A every other element was perfection and her marks showed it.

I thought mirai was great, she was really fast and attacked all her elements. On a bad note, she was a little iffy on some of her spins which would usually rack up big points which didnt today. Also with her music choice, she didnt have a suiting personality. It was almost like she was just focusing on the jumps and nothing for performance. Yes she skated great and she had a unlucky draw but her performance was not as good as agnes, therefore she had slightly lower components

Truthfully if anyone was overmarked it was Ashley. Her program was mediocre, boring and stiff. Her spins were bad and her jumps weren't so crash hot.

Caroline i believe had lower components than expected, even with her super slow skating. However i agree with the technical panel about the downgrades and under-rotations. When i look slow-motion i can see that she absolutely under-rotated and downgraded her 2 big jumping phases so her technical score reflected what i expected. But components were defs low. She should have scored maybe 28-29 for components instead of 26

James R

Match Penalty
Agreed. It's terrible that under-rotations are the worst mistake a skater can make. I'm fine with full downgrades for being a half-rotation short. But regular under-rotations should just be a -2 or -3 GOE without chopping the base value - otherwise, it's just double jeopardy.

And don't forget how this fact has not only wrecked results, but also wrecked skaters' bodies and careers.

Icey

Record Breaker
Gracie has been working with a sports psychologist since her performance at Skate Canada.

naan

Rinkside
I dont know why everyone is hating on agnes. The reason she is in second is because her two successful jumps were textbook perfection.Yes she had a fall, but it was on a very minor element that doesn't cost huge points. I dont think there has been any overpromotion. Yes she can be inconsistent but besides the 2A every other element was perfection and her marks showed it.

I thought mirai was great, she was really fast and attacked all her elements. On a bad note, she was a little iffy on some of her spins which would usually rack up big points which didnt today. Also with her music choice, she didnt have a suiting personality. It was almost like she was just focusing on the jumps and nothing for performance. Yes she skated great and she had a unlucky draw but her performance was not as good as agnes, therefore she had slightly lower components

Truthfully if anyone was overmarked it was Ashley. Her program was mediocre, boring and stiff. Her spins were bad and her jumps weren't so crash hot.

Caroline i believe had lower components than expected, even with her super slow skating. However i agree with the technical panel about the downgrades and under-rotations. When i look slow-motion i can see that she absolutely under-rotated and downgraded her 2 big jumping phases so her technical score reflected what i expected. But components were defs low. She should have scored maybe 28-29 for components instead of 26
I agree. Agnes's jumps were huge and perfection. Just WOW. She landed the most difficult jump and combination which Ashley even didn't attempt. She executed other elements well, so deserves to be the second place, IMO.
Mirai was enjoyable to watch! I think this program suits her well.
Ashley was impressive. What a competitor! All the jumps were solid, but she needs to work on footwork though.
Poor Caroline. She did her best, but her jumps looked definitely underrotated and she was slow as usual. PCS was lower than I expected, but I wasn't that surprised by her score.

Gracie has been working with a sports psychologist since her performance at Skate Canada.
It didn't work well yesterday. She looked super nervous from the beginning to the end. She has a lot of potential, but needs many experiences to be great. I wonder why she doesn't attempt 3Lz-3T in the SP. She gets an "e" on 3F, and it's an inconsistent jump for her. Her 3Lz is much better and consistent.

katymay

Medalist

I agree. However, Ashley can be relied upon in international competition, and by elevating her somewhat an "Alyssa Cizny" situation can be avoided. Even when Ashley falls, she doesn't 'fall apart', and she will fight to the end for every point. Agnes has big powerful jumps, although they are never as good in competition as they are in practice, the 'big' jumps put her over the edge. Mirai is a bit of a loose cannon, although with the change in coaching, I think she is starting to get back the joy that was missing while training with her former coach.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think the placement reflects the intention of sending AW and AZ to the Worlds and secure 3 spots for the next year. Mirai is inconsistent.

The bizarre thing to me, though, is that it's not like Agnes is consistent. She just hasn't had an opportunity to be inconsistent at Worlds yet. Her LP's are a disaster as often as not (perhaps more often than not but I don't want to be unfair) and IMO she hasn't got the same overall quality that Mirai has in non-jump elements. In addition, I think it's more unclear what international judges think of her than what they think of Mirai as well (though I admit that is partly because Mirai has more experience internationally). If Mirai skates well, international judges do reward her.

katymay

Medalist
I don't care what kind of score Caroline got, it was a lovely performance. I think with such a small cushion going into the long, Ashley is going to feel the pressure. At the moment, I am inclined to think Agnes is going to pull off an upset.
I just watched Caroline in super slow mo, and her loops appear to be within the .25 allowed. I hope Peter appeals and asks for a review of the downgrades.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I was heartbroken for Caroline when I saw her face as she got her scores. It must be devastating to work so hard and skate clean and end up so low in the standings.

Agnes, to me, skated well and I think her TES being ahead of Mirai and Ashley is fine because her elements were executed well and she had incredible difficulty on the jumps. I would not have had her PCS as close to those two because I still think they are a bit better than her, particularly on presentation.

I find it interesting that, under 6.0, the 12th place skater very likely would have finished ahead of the 2nd place skater.

leafygreens

Final Flight
I just watched Caroline in super slow mo, and her loops appear to be within the .25 allowed. I hope Peter appeals and asks for a review of the downgrades.

Can this be done after the close of the SP? Where would she place if not for the downgrades?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Ashley, Agnes and Mirai.

What the heck with Caroline's scores. :disagree:

herios

Medalist
Caroline's triple-triple combination was ridiculous. I thought the second jump was a double or something. Her score was deserved.

Add to that the fact that Caroline has no steps leading into her solo flip, for the last half of the length of e rink, that should automayically trigger a hit on the GOE

fairly4

Medalist
i am going on the icenetwork video and i am going to complain if i find out the ur zhang purposely to keep her down and over looked all other skaters cuz they dont want zhang anymore, which i think what happenede.
look for urs found it. didn't look for other mistakes so wouldn't find them.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
watch video ashley, miria, agnes, gracies, should have all got urs on their jumnps. they didn't they wasn't looking for them for those skaters like zhang.
i am tired of this, i hope osmaond beats ashley at world/fc. and the us ladies go to one and the u.s goes to 8 in the team event.
they don't deserved to be up on top since the u.s. figure skating can't judge fairly/evenly.
look for mistakes on ones they don't want like zhang over look others like ashley, mirai, agnes, gracie, courtney, christina.
all jumps like zhang and none was ur but her.