2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP

ForeverFish

Medalist
Remember, we have to go with the two who have the best chance of getting us back the third spot. Ashley is a lock because she has shown herself to be dependable and reliable. Anyone want to guess what would have happened to Alyssa if she had not been injured,and had skated here and skated well? The judges would have found a way for her to 'miss the podium.'
The international judges also seem to ding Caroline without mercy, and Gold isn't known enough. Mirai also fares poorly internationally....so that leaves Agnes by default. And the international judges love big, powerful jumps. So I would guess that the preference is for Ashley and Agnes.

Gold needs more confidence/experience at the senior level. Sending any skater to Worlds their first year as a senior is a mistake, IMO. Caroline seems out of the question, if the SP standings mean anything. Christina hasn't shown much consistency until this season, and still seems to struggle for a clean FS. Agnes has less international experience than Mirai, and if Mirai ends up second, she'll probably be sent to Worlds.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
True, but Gracie and Christina and Agnes FELL, and they're way ahead of Caroline. So, it's better to fall now than to under rotate jumps.

Sarah Hughes wouldn't have been anywhere near the podium at Salt Lake City had this system been in place.

Now it sounds like you're arguing in favor of CoP, 'cause shoot, I didn't think Sarah should have been anywhere near the podium.

I don't agree with Caroline's score, but if she "cheated" on three of her elements vs. one of Christina's or Agnes's, I would think she should be lower. But again, I don't agree with how low her score is and how low her placement is.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Mirai got spins level 2???? This can't be serious... must rewatch it again! She's among the best spinner in the biz?!!! (I so deleted my earlier nice praises for the judges, this is insane!)

flying camel

Medalist
Agnes is not known to be a good free skater. I would be surprised if she holds it together. I think it is going to be Ashley and Mirai for the world team.

samson

Medalist
Hmmmm looking briefly and comparing scores, Agnes had almost two points in base value more than Mirai. Mirai actually got .59 more in GOE than Agnes, but Agnes' had higher GOE on her triple and combo.

I'll also give them that Mirai had the speed and positions in her layback but the centering wasn't there tonight and I think she lost some points there too. I still think Mirai deserves at least second. I'm also kind of surprised about he PCS. Agnes really did attack it in the way she's known to in her sp. Still though... the axel.

Side note, had she gone clean on the axel she would be ahead of Ashley right now. Thoughts on that?

evangeline

Record Breaker
True, but Gracie and Christina and Agnes FELL, and they're way ahead of Caroline. So, it's better to fall now than to under rotate jumps.

Hasn't this been obvious for several seasons already?

If you fall but fully rotate the jump, you still get the full base value of the jump minus some GOE. If you under-rotate, your intended base value gets reduced to 70% plus whatever negative GOE the judges give you if they spot the under-rotation.

Such is the nature of CoP.

wallylutz

Medalist
How is Mirai's combination spin level 2? farce...

You have to understand the Level on a spin and the quality of execution of that said spin are two different things, don't confuse between the two. A spin may lose level for any number of reasons, e.g. not maintaining enough rotations for a given position or one of the feature is omitted for X reason. This could all lead to the Tech Panel downgrading the spin to a lower level. Yet for the same spin, the judges could give that +2 or even +3 for quality of execution.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
True, but Gracie and Christina and Agnes FELL, and they're way ahead of Caroline. So, it's better to fall now than to under rotate jumps?

Sarah Hughes wouldn't have been anywhere near the podium at Salt Lake City had this system been in place.

In all fairness, we have to keep in mind that Caroline had three jump errors (2 under-rotations and one downgrade) while Gracie had three (an under-rotation, a pop and a fall) with a higher base value and Christina had a fall on a spin, a lower-scoring element compared to jumps

willdu

On the Ice
How is Mirai's combination spin level 2? farce...

I would like to point of that Gao's combo spin(the last one) got level 4. How does that happen compared to Mirai? Going 2nd may have effected her GOEs/levels. PCS seems pretty fair IMHO.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Side note, had she gone clean on the axel she would be ahead of Ashley right now. Thoughts on that?

Not surprising. Before Nationals one could have predicted if Wagner didnt attempt a 3-3 or a lutz (which she was never planning to) and Agnes skated clean with her 3-3 and lutz, that Agnes could or would win the short. She can score great in the SP with her big jumps, fast skating, and strong elements. It still doesnt mean Agnes is any threat to Wagner at all in the LP though. If Agnes can somehow cobble together a good enough LP for 2nd that would be great for her.

Orange Cat

On the Ice
The international judges also seem to ding Caroline without mercy, and Gold isn't known enough. Mirai also fares poorly internationally....so that leaves Agnes by default. And the international judges love big, powerful jumps. So I would guess that the preference is for Ashley and Agnes.

Mirai has actually done pretty decently on the international stage- excluding the highlights of 2010, she's actually done ok with 4CC and the SGP. I'm going off the top of my head here, but hasn't Mirai won more medals on the SGP (read 2) than Agnes (0)?

I don't have a live stream so I can't compare the two in this competition... but having watched that youtube clip- how on earth did Mirai only get .79+ GOE on her final layback spin?? Are the judges blind??

Art&Sport

Medalist
Remember, we have to go with the two who have the best chance of getting us back the third spot. Ashley is a lock because she has shown herself to be dependable and reliable. Anyone want to guess what would have happened to Alyssa if she had not been injured,and had skated here and skated well? The judges would have found a way for her to 'miss the podium.'

Mirai's rep dipped quite a bit and she's worked hard to get back to where she is now and with a more mature-looking body so she's had to make some adjustments. She's showing a lot more fire and spirit than she did last year. Agnes did not do better than Mirai on GP, and I don't think international judges favor Agnes more than Mirai either. They are looked at fairly equal IMO in terms of how international judges view them, but Mirai has accomplished more than Agnes on the World stage re Olympics and Worlds. IT will come down to who performs best in the fp and I hope Mirai hits it out of the ballpark because of all the critical looking down on her.

I'm not surprised Phil Hersh said that Mirai's scores were "generous," since he's been dumping on her and would like to be proven right.

mateusp1

On the Ice
Agnes got +1,8 for her 3T+3T... That means she recieved (4)four +3 and 3(three) +2. Also, she got +1,4 for her Lutz.

Sometimes, Agnes reminds me of Kostner(my favorite skater). Tall, fast, massive jumps, great basic skills and edges, nice music choices... I think that Agnes will be the "new Kostner".

willdu

On the Ice
Mirai has actually done pretty decently on the international stage- excluding the highlights of 2010, she's actually done ok with 4CC and the SGP. I'm going off the top of my head here, but hasn't Mirai won more medals on the SGP (read 2) than Agnes (0)?

I don't have a live stream so I can't compare the two in this competition... but having watched that youtube clip- how on earth did Mirai only get .79+ GOE on her final layback spin?? Are the judges blind??

She traveled quite a bit before centering her layback. Perhaps that was it?

Selene

On the Ice
Gold needs more confidence/experience at the senior level. Sending any skater to Worlds their first year as a senior is a mistake, IMO. Caroline seems out of the question, if the SP standings mean anything. Christina hasn't shown much consistency until this season, and still seems to struggle for a clean FS. Agnes has less international experience than Mirai, and if Mirai ends up second, she'll probably be sent to Worlds.

She needs to learn how to control her nerves. Right now, she is the champion of the practices, but not a competitor. Her performances this season have been very disappointing.

icellist

On the Ice
but having watched that youtube clip- how on earth did Mirai only get .79+ GOE on her final layback spin?? Are the judges blind??

agreeing with other users that the centering wasn't there for the layback but still furious about the levels she got on the combo spin