Exciting Arutunian/Michelle Article | Golden Skate

Exciting Arutunian/Michelle Article

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I posted this article in Mathman's "Michelle and COP" thread because it seemed to be very relevant to the topic. I thought I would go ahead and make an entire thread for it.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/2004-01-12-brennan_x.htm

What do you guys think? I love that Arutunian is pushing her! Michelle said that it was nice to have someone pushing her and there can be little doubt that these are suggestions (the improved spins combos, positions, etc.) Arutunian has already discussed with her. If Michelle is serious about the Olympics, I believe she has chosen the right coach. Even after a passionate 6.0 performance, he was immediately ready to tell her what could have been better. It seems that is the blunt and refreshing honesty and outlook that Michelle has needed for quite some time.

Lucy25

Final Flight
This article says it all. Both Michelle and Arutunian are well aware of what needs to be done on the future. I hope to see a 3/3 at Worlds this year (at least in practice), and then many changes next fall. I am thinking that this is one summer where Michelle will not be taking it too easy!

heyang

Record Breaker
I totally agree.

While MK deserved the win on Saturday night, I did think that there wasn't anything particularly different. Her program exploded during the last minute, but I thought 98 Nationals was entrancing from start to finish.

Anyway, I'm not asking for any huge changes...just a few new moves.

lavender

Record Breaker
'98 Nationals is still my favorite because it had the intricate moves and 7 triples. Now that is one for the ages. I would put that up there with a few like Torvill and Dean.

Michelle knows about COP and knows it will be around so she's going to have to do what she use to do best....intricate choreography. She got rid of it because the judges wanted jumps when '00 rolled around. Now it's about more than that.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
what did michelle skate to in 98?

Was it Lyra Angelica? She skated it beautifully at the Oly's. Chen Lu was georgeous, exquisite. I don't know how they judged that.

Everyone talks about the 98 nationals, which I probably saw, but it is not jumping out of my memory?

Her Salome program from 96 worlds I just watched. She did an easy 3/3 then and she was a faster skater with a well choreographed program. Why hasn't she developed? I think Artunian was right to tell her. It's been on the boards so many years she must know all that people think, good and bad.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Thanks for the link.

Seems both Christain and Hersh know more about the sports than last year. Both of them not understand why Michelle won the worlds with only 6 triples without 3/3. There is more to the skating program than just sheer number of triples completed in the program.

I have the reason to believe the first 3/3 they going to add into her program - I mean at this year's worlds - is a 3t/3t. That's why they get the 3t/2t off her LP. Raf is trying to get rid of her 'bad habbit' of falling back to a 3t/2t at a planned 3t/3t if she is not in a attact mode, like she usually did in past. Anyone feel it make sense?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I agree that she needs something "more" in her programs, but where some say she hasn't developed, I say what she has done is "perfected" many moves that other skaters now use. How many skaters were using the change of edge spiral before Michelle made it a "wow" factor. And what about the charlotte stop....several skaters, including B.B. and Sasha now use it in their programs. I think her current coach is a good match. It doesn't sound like he's going to be a "yes" man, but will tell it like it is..............42

Everyone agrees even the NonKwans. She must up the tricks for Worlds and even moreso for the Olys. Happy she found Arturian.

Joe

4dogknight

Final Flight
But I don't think Michelle should turn her programs into a Cirque de Soleil on Ice like some of the other skaters - male and female.

I would hope that Michelle keep her wits about her and maintains the relatively injury free career that she's enjoyed for the past ten years.

Nor would I hope that she lose any of the qualities that made her what she is for the sake of the "dog almighty'jumps.

4dk

Excellent article--and by Christine Brennan, my "favorite" LOL. Arutunian sounds like a very insightful coach.

BTW, I don't think that adding more choreography, different combination spins, and a 3/3 means going "Cirque du Soleil.":) Michelle's not that kind of skater; she's a clean line, clean jumps, explosive emotion at the right time skater, IMO.

I also think Michelle has progressed a lot, just in different areas than 3/3s and complex choreography. Before Nats '03, Michelle had never executed the movement of her programs with such abandon, expansion, and emotion. It will be tough getting the things she needs for another OGM, but I think Michelle redisovered her joy of skating, which is why I think she will be able to rise to the occasion with Arutunian's help. The very fact that she chose him for her coach, knowing his attitude, I think shows that Michelle wants this challenge and intends to meet it.
Rgirl

PS. This article also finally answered the question, "Is it Artunian or Arutunian?":laugh:

Seonaid920

On the Ice
He sounds like a good coach and he is right. She must improve if she is to have a chance to medal at the Turino Olympics.