Zhang takes positive approach | Golden Skate

Zhang takes positive approach

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From the OC Register - On a recent morning Caroline Zhang took the ice at the East West Ice Palace — the Rink That Michelle Built — for one of her final training sessions before this week's U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Omaha, Neb.

More

Zhang also proved something else — that beneath the sequins and frills, behind the beaming smile is a fighter who, no matter how hard the fall, refused to stay down.

"I know the generic answer here would be to say I love skating and that I just want to keep skating no matter what people say, but honestly it's more that I had something to prove," Zhang said when asked why she continued after years of adversity.

It's cool how these beautiful, charming princesses are hard as nails, tough as bricks underneath. :rock:

Go Caroline!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you for posting that lovely article. I always will have a soft spot for Caroline and wish her the best of luck
at Nationals.

Thank you for posting that lovely article. I always will have a soft spot for Caroline and wish her the best of luck
at Nationals.

Me, too. And last year, that splendid Dvorak cello concerto program, just captured my heart. I hope she medals.

heyang

Record Breaker
I'm so glad that she's found her inner strength. I , too, was so excited for her at last year's Nationals as you could view it as the start of a potential comeback and how please she was with what she accomplished. Even if she doesn't medal again, she's still a figher and a winner.

wallylutz

Medalist
I wonder if she is still positive after last night. Perhaps she should consider skating for China, the native country of her family, if the USFS doesn't want her.

macy

Record Breaker
I wonder if she is still positive after last night. Perhaps she should consider skating for China, the native country of her family, if the USFS doesn't want her.

i was thinking about the same thing last night. maybe she would have more success skating for a different federation.

jjane45

On the Ice
Zhang was an international sensation at 13, an Olympic medal contender at 15, a bust at 16 and now, at 19, the comeback kid in a sport not known for granting second chances.

I want to cry. Thanks for sharing!

brightphoton

Medalist
i was thinking about the same thing last night. maybe she would have more success skating for a different federation.

Ugh. What is with the USFS? Caroline has never been their golden child, but downgrading a first triple loop, underrotating the next triple loop, then downgrading her triple flip? To add insult, they gave massive negative GOEs as well. If they want to keep her off the podium, they need to be more sneaky. This competition fixing is too blatant.

Maybe she could go back to her old coach, MingZhu Li. But then again, China already has a new starlet, Li Zijun, and probably a swarm of new girls too. It's not like Dennis Ten and his Kazakhstan federation. She could end up in Ksenia Markova's position.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem is Caroline's jumps are still not great and she just doesn't skate with tons of speed which the judges like and she's not great in any area of her skating. But still her score was way lower then it should have been.

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
As much as I root for Caroline to do well, skating for China wont' increase her chances of winning a World or Olympic medal, as things currently stand. It would likely allow her to got to World's or Olympics in 2014, if she had switched already. I think it's too close to Olympics for her to switch countries. Besides, it seldom works out as far as 'results' - Sydney Vogel switched to Germany, but I don't remember hearing about her afterwards, etc.