Is Plushenko Too Old For This Sport? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is Plushenko Too Old For This Sport?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Zhenya already took a gamble by continuing competing and he was reluctant with his form to compete at Euros since Nationals as he mentioned is his interviews doctors advised him further rest but he rushed back to training, hope he takes a full rest, its next year that is the most crucial, I think he will be fine.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The mind is strong. But the body is having trouble keeping up.

If Plushy's body was as strong as his determination, no-one would stand a chance against him. But it's not. I think, while it is always his call when to end it, it might be time to quietly reasses a little, and maybe make sure the mind is not being decieved as to the capabilities of the body.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
You were told - by whom? You keep suggesting that Plushy is malingering. "If indeed he is injured" - IF?

Okay, let's find out shall we? Contrary to what wallylutz may or may not have "been told" - how many here think that Plushy is NOT injured?

And this is a genuine question - let's put an end to it once and for all.

If anybody knows him, knows his soul, knows his will, knows his honesty don't says such a ridiculous assumption. He is injured. But he said in an interview he did some unforgivable mistakes. Couple of fans had a brief meeting with Plu and Yana at the airport, Plu told them that he canceled all shows "Art on Ice", to be healed in Russia. Next season planned is his appearance at one Grand Prix (probably Cup of Russia), then Russian and European Championship 2014 ... so for now. It seems he is not over.

Dear wallylutz!Look at this video, maybe you'll get some answers to why he is doing the FS even now, and what is his soul. I'm crying, because it's so current....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVGRZLmIEIw

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Back. There are more details in the Injuries & Other Ills thread, but basically, he had a back surgery at the end of last year, rushed back to training - against doctors' orders - to be ready for Russian Nationals, and he said now in a recent interview he's thinking of returning to Germany to consult the doctors again. This time, at least, he will have time to let things heal properly.

onyxrose81

Rinkside
It should always be an athlete's choice when to retire but sometimes enough is enough. Plushenko's body has been screaming at him for years to give up. The fact that he skated as well as he did in Vancouver was amazing but that should have been the end of it. I don't understand why he insists on competing. I know the love for something that has encompassed your whole life is strong but it shouldn't come at the risk of health.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
That said, to compare this year to last year's Euro would be a mistake. The standards of men skating have risen rapidly.
How exactly I wonder. They now jump 4Lu with 4T or solo 4A? In fact the level of difficulty is decreasing thanks to CoP. Quad combos will soon become non-existent, especially in SP. Moreover, some guys now stick with Ladies' combos of 3T-3T or 3-2. Or don't even bother to put 3A in FS. :laugh:
This still feels just a like national championship to him, where he made two major errors but only one was properly punished (the fall) but the other one (solo jump not preceding by connecting steps) was unjustifiably ignored by 8 of the 9 judges.
Plus, I was told that Plushenko is not exactly injured because his back problem has always been there - it's an old problem that was never properly healed. Then, despite everything, he didn't have trouble - I was told - with Quad at the Russian Nationals.
I don't follow. First you commented RN but then you said you were told. So, did you watch RN? Never mind. Because that doesn't matter. The point is it's quite stupid at the age of Internet to provide false information if you want to be taken seriously. What's the point indeed if any the least unknowledgable one can easily find protocols, vids, ISU rules, etc. online. Plu didn't make any of two major errors at RNs that you descibe. He skated both progs with no fall and in SP he had 3Lu with prec. steps. So, you paralleling with RN has no merit.

You are told by Munich clinic doctors about his body conditions? Oh please. That's too silly to bother to comment. :biggrin:

It should always be an athlete's choice when to retire but sometimes enough is enough. Plushenko's body has been screaming at him for years to give up. The fact that he skated as well as he did in Vancouver was amazing but that should have been the end of it. I don't understand why he insists on competing. I know the love for something that has encompassed your whole life is strong but it shouldn't come at the risk of health.

That's what I worry about as well. At this point, he's won absolutely everything, and he will have lasting fame in Russia and among skate fans worldwide. I just don't want him to cripple himself.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
That's what I worry about as well. At this point, he's won absolutely everything, and he will have lasting fame in Russia and among skate fans worldwide. I just don't want him to cripple himself.

Agreed! I worry about him continously, I would like to see him on many-many shows, and like a coach. But he has decisions, what can I do? I support him.

http://ow.ly/i/1qtuc

Last edited:

russell30

Final Flight
It was sad to see Plushy skate injured and perform far below his high standard at Europeans. He has now withdrawn due to injury. I think the sport is so hard on the body that for someone who has taken a beating from 20+ years of intense training is too much. I admire that he wants to skate in Sochi but it seems like a bad idea to continue training to compete at the highest levels when he can do permanent damage to his knees, hips, back, etc. He has won EVERYTHING in the sport already so I just question if skating an Olympics in your home country is worth the risk.

Again we cannot call his retirement but down to him...

Time will tell...... But Plushy is determined to be there, he will limit his competitions, I wouldn't be surprised if he just does Nationals and then Sochi and bypass Euro's. All depends on the body, I know a lot of europeans like to do Euro's before Sochi .. so we will see. GP plushy will skip for sure....

LRK

Record Breaker
He'll have to do something, though, probably, to get the TES?

sk8m8

Final Flight
hmm, directly to the questions....is Plushy too old?....if you mean, chronologically is he too old to be skating, not necessarily , that would depend on the skater and the way they have skated through out their careers (number of competitions, number of show performances, touring, etc.)

I personally think Plushy himself is too old to skate at the top of the competitive level due to the wear and tear on his body. He was a top flight skater a couple of years previous to the Salt Lake games and that is a LONG time for anyone to survive the world of competitive skating, especially when thinking of the level of difficulty demanded to win competitions these days. I also think the ordinal system was kinder to his skating than COP. Even with his limberness and amazing footwork, kinetic memory is harder to retrain with all the 'extras' the judges want to see to gain level 4 scores from elements.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Yep! Not surprised he withdrew from Europeans. He realized there was no way he would medal. Injury or no injury he will probably be in a show next week! LOL seriously though, he has no chance at a medal at the Olympics...even though its in Russia!

wallylutz

Medalist
What advantage does Plushenko have over the youngsters now? In the past, he can wip out a Quad, then posed for the rest of the program and watch others fall or make mistakes. Nowadays, men can easily wip out 3 Quads in a single performance, more than he could ever do and still have energy for other things. His Transitions have been analyzed to death, everyone and their dogs know he can't do them. Without the big jump advantage, yeah, he will not be a contender.

LRK

Record Breaker
Yep! Not surprised he withdrew from Europeans. He realized there was no way he would medal. Injury or no injury he will probably be in a show next week! LOL seriously though, he has no chance at a medal at the Olympics...even though its in Russia!

Um, he has cancelled all his shows, and won't resume training until March - um - lol? It's nice that you find somebody's pain and suffering so amusing.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

ha-ha, you don't know anything :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
What advantage does Plushenko have over the youngsters now? In the past, he can wip out a Quad, then posed for the rest of the program and watch others fall or make mistakes. Nowadays, men can easily wip out 3 Quads in a single performance, more than he could ever do and still have energy for other things. His Transitions have been analyzed to death, everyone and their dogs know he can't do them. Without the big jump advantage, yeah, he will not be a contender.

No matter, no one comes close to him..:p A Canadian skater can't even repeat his career. ;)

Last edited: