Is Plushenko Too Old For This Sport? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Is Plushenko Too Old For This Sport?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I still remember in the good old days how North American commentators gushing about Plushenko's skating skills, saying that "there is something special about his skating", that he can "gain speed with one or two pushes while others take ten". And how they rave about his perfectly stretched line in his camel spin. :p

How many times Simon and Chris from EuroSport talked about his footwork, saying it has edges of the highest quality?

Plushenko has been on the top of the sport for more than a decade. If he achieved that by only being a jumping machine, and not necessarily a good one per some posters here, how does it reflect on those who competed with him? :think:

There are a lot of figure skating fans who are watching the protocols, who understand the scoring etc., and they think that someone wins have only jumping ability? LOL! Not to mention that the facts demonstrate- I have been told here, that the COP prior to the introduction of more 6.0 performed, such as Michelle Kwan, he got them for his presentations.- And I'm sure that the Americans figure skating fans deny his greatness, because the American commentators have not been evaluated him, but this is not the case in Europe and Japan. But the interesting thing is that in the early races, when Plush was young, they also praised him as a very talented skater, who has a very strong artistic side too.

Last edited:
plushyfan:rofl: Did you forget something? No matter how decorated Plushenko's career has been, he only won one Olympic Gold medal in his life and likely won't see another one. Yet, in the Sochi 2014 Olympics in Russia, Patrick Chan will have the chance of winning not one but two Olympic Gold medals in one shot, thus, surpassing what Plushenko has ever achieved.

You do realize that this "statistic" invites a comparison between the number of Olympic gold medals won by Plushenko and the number won by all Canadian men taken together in the history of the sport. Right? ;)

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
There are a lot of figure skating fans who are watching the protocols, who understand the scoring etc., and they think that someone wins have only jumping ability? LOL! Not to mention that the facts demonstrate- I have been told here, that the COP prior to the introduction of more 6.0 performed, such as Michelle Kwan, he got them for his presentations.- And I'm sure that the Americans figure skating fans deny his greatness, because the American commentators have not been evaluated him, but this is not the case in Europe and Japan. But the interesting thing is that in the early races, when Plush was young, they also praised him as a very talented skater, who has a very strong artistic side too.

They just say all his pcs is from jumping and/or because he's from Russia. They do not budge at all from their position that all he can do is jump. They reject all claims of artistry and skating skill now.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
^^ Not to mention that in theory, every skater whose country qualifies for the team event will have a shot at two OGMs - Florent Amodio, Javier Fernandez (well, maybe not him), whoever wins US Nats next year, Maxim Kovtun for all we know; all will have a shot at two. There is no overwhelming favorite in the men's event, like Plushenko was going into 2006. And you know, Scott and Tessa will have a chance to win three OGMs! Beat that.

Yet even if one of the men does win two OGMs, Plushenko's career still stacks up favorably for its longevity and accomplishments in various major events.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Wallylutz - so let me get this straight:

One the one hand, he is so injured that he will have to spend the rest of his life on crutches - and on the other, he isn't injured at all?

So - which is it?

I already posted it on his fan thread but I want to repost the info here too:

Today piter.tv aired a video interview with Mishin. He said that a couple of days later Plu will be operated in Israel where he will get an artificial disk replacement in the spine. He said Evgeni can't train properly with his current back condition, so they decided to go though the surgery. He will keep training for Sochi after reabilitation:
http://piter.tv/event/Mishin_o_Plyuschenko/

Last edited by a moderator:

seniorita

Record Breaker
WHat is an artificial disc replacement?
I dont believe his "luck", Evgeni every time before Olympics has a surgery :no: He looked so strong in the beginning of the season...

MK's Winter

Record Breaker

Today piter.tv aired a video interview with Mishin. He said that a couple of days later Plu will be operated in Israel where he will get an artificial disk replacement in the spine. He said Evgeni can't train properly with his current back condition, so they decided to go though the surgery. He will keep training for Sochi after reabilitation:

Wow. He is really young to have that kind of surgery. I am the same age as Plush and have similar back issues and I do everything I can to Avoid surgery at my age. Surgery is only a temporary fix and he will require more when he gets older. I wish him the best of luck and hopes he makes good decisions that do not compromise his health. He's had a great career and honestly has nothing to prove.

LRK

Record Breaker

Thanks indeed Let's talk! I have taken the liberty of quoting/linking to your post in the Injuries & Other Ills thread, and I hope this is okay with you.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Please do not insult other posters by name. That's how posts get disapproved & disappear.

seniorita

Record Breaker
News in english
Evgeni Plushenko will have an back operation Thursday that will leave him temporarily unable to walk and out of the sport "for a long time," his coach Alexei Mishin told R-Sport on Wednesday.

Plushenko will be unable to walk for a month, realistically ending his hopes of competing at the world championships in March, and the focus will be on chasing his dream of a second Olympic gold medal in Sochi next year.
“Tomorrow, he will undergo the operation, but his preparation plans won’t be altered, because he’ll be able to walk and swim in four weeks’ time.” “The recovery will last a long time, but not so much to set back his preparation for the (2013-14) season where the main competition will be the Olympics,” Mishin said.

Oh..:cry:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I have a ton of respect for Plushenko and would love to see him go out with a great performance. But reading about all his health issues, and now this surgery, I really wish he'd call an end to his competitive career. He has nothing left to prove to anyone and he's risking his long-term health; I'd hate to see him face the possible consequences of that. I really do feel that he should call it a day and perform in shows instead, so that his many fans can continue to enjoy his skating.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I have a ton of respect for Plushenko and would love to see him go out with a great performance. But reading about all his health issues, and now this surgery, I really wish he'd call an end to his competitive career. He has nothing left to prove to anyone and he's risking his long-term health; I'd hate to see him face the possible consequences of that. I really do feel that he should call it a day and perform in shows instead, so that his many fans can continue to enjoy his skating.

Yes.:cry: Agreed. :cry::cry:

seniorita

Record Breaker
whole post
I feel the same. I just hope the doctors and his team are more aware of the situation than us and have informed him too. It looks like a non serious operation for normal people, but for athletes I have no idea..It is scary not to walk for a month, I dont know how he will manage to surpass the psysical pain but on top of all I m really buffled where he finds the mental strength to start from the zero every time sth like this happens. It must be frustrating for him that his best condition was during the autumn. All I wish is that everything goes by his plan.

LRK

Record Breaker
He's mentally extremely strong. Of course, he would have had to have been to achieve all he has - and gone through all he has. But it never ceases to impress me.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
After non serious operation people are normally not in the condition not to walk for a month. I am not sure if journalists put it right. I trust only the video interview of Mishin. And there he didn't say anything like that. Google says that after this type of surgery patients can walk in a few hours and are usually discharged from the hospital in 2-4 days.

Just to refresh people' s memory. Daisuke couldn't walk for more than a day after his knee surgery in 2008. He was in hospital for two months and in reabilitation for months. Only in April, i.e. after 6 month from his October injury he returned to the rink, resumed jumps in June 2009. Few months later in Feb 2010 he won an Olympic medal. I am sure Plu is not a lesser tough guy.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Plushenko did get level 4 spins and steps. When he gets level 4 spins and steps it is not considered good but when others do it is. You don't like the spins but they got the highest scores he fulfilled all the requirements to get the high scores. You don't like the way they look so you call him horrible and spins and steps? LOL. No he is the best of all time and actually all 3 competing now are not up to his level in cosistency or titles.

It's not hard for most junior skaters to get level 4's on their spins. Whether it's executed well is a different story. I think sometimes Plushenko has executed fast spins though the positions aren't very attractive or creative. As far as donut spins, many male skaters are doing them... as far as Biellmanns, Plushenko has one of the worst Biellmanns I've ever seen executed. Looks incredibly strained. Hanyu's is much better and probably one of the best male Biellmanns I've seen, even if Plushenko was popular for being one of the only ones to do it during his time.

Sorry, I should clarify... by best "technical skater", I meant consistent jumping. And yes, spins are important too, but to me, what truly makes the best competitive figure skaters are those who perform hardest jumps the most consistently. I would call Goebel a one of the best jumpers too, even though the rest of his season is relatively mediocre. I would agree that arguably overall Yagudin is the best total package skater in terms of jump consistency, decent spins, good footwork.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Also, regarding his footwork, Plushenko has some of the best feet around and can skate with deep edges and difficult turns. It's a travesty he rarely applies this to the rest of his program. While he has some of the best feet around, everything from the waist up (or knees up when he happens to hip-thrust) looks frantic, flailing and frankly, ruins the footwork.