Project Runway - Season 11 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Project Runway - Season 11

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Amazing how the judges think of Patricia. They really see something in her. I don't know how she would survive in the actual fashion business; she's really an off-the-grid fiber artist, which is a whole different outlook.

Olympia, I am not real sure what you mean about Patricia. Are you saying she hasn't designed anything on PR to be part of the final 4 or 5???

Not at all, Dee. Some of her clothes were wonderful, but some don't seem successful at all. I think the last dress was a bit of a mess. They didn't even like that dress. But they liked her, so they kept her. Very interesting thought process they showed. One thing they said that fascinated me was that she doesn't reference anyone and doesn't seem to be influenced by anyone. It's as if they're people in the French Academy of Music (can't remember the exact name) who feel they've found another Debussy. This is not the usual way they speak.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
You know that toward the end of the run, they often do some kind of sudden-death playoff. Remember the year that Rami and Chris March had to show their final collections to see which one got to the final runway show?

Amazing how the judges think of Patricia. They really see something in her. I don't know how she would survive in the actual fashion business; she's really an off-the-grid fiber artist, which is a whole different outlook. For my money, it's Stanley who should win the whole thing. Michelle and Daniel have moments of "wow," but Stanley has the consistency and the real feel for what's amazing. Layana is excellent as well.

Really? I think Stanley is Emilio Sosa 2.0. I would bet a bundle that he will make it to Fashion Week, but design a "line" of well-made but safe and boring garments. I'm still trying to remember a single "wow" Daniel moment. This week's 'Joan Crawfod' ensemble looked like a margarine moth. And why does he always use hook closures? Could it be he doesn't know how to sew in a zipper?

I happen to like Michelle a lot, but I'm a New Yorker and we appreciate bluntness and good snark. I agree with your about Patricia--there's definitely something there, but it is not necessarily the ability to design fashion (her silhoutettes tend to be blowsy, blurry and/or shapeless, but her fabric manipulations are always worth a second and third look).

On the whole though, a rather underwhelming season. And what the hell was Tim Gunn, usually so debonair, doing sporting a gingham shirt with a paisley tie? It was like a bad acid trip.

Ankles, you really have an expert eye. I didn't notice the closures; that's an excellent point. (And I'm still chuckling over "margarine moth.")

I like Michelle also, and I was assuming that she'd end up in the finals instead of Patricia. Wasn't she the one who did the "art coat" when she collaborated with Stanley for the print challenge the week before? Yum. But we don't know how things will turn out next week; she might be there in the finals.

I do a lot of reading about fiber artists (because I love looking at quilts) and associate Patricia with them. They tend to use more basic shapes and go to town on, as you say, fabric manipulation as well as techniques such as piecing. Tailoring techniques are often secondary with them. A lot of their silhouettes are based on traditional clothing or folkwear. I'm very partial to this stream of clothing, and I admire Patricia even more because except for Anya, I can't remember anyone from such an unconventional background who has advanced as far as Patricia has in the competition. In a way, she reminds me of Elisa Jimenez from Season 4, though Elisa was more conceptual (so even less viable as a fashion designer). There was one "convertible dress" that Elisa did, for Sarah Jessica Parker, that was gorgeous. But Elisa didn't care about observing any of the conventions, while Patricia really is trying to use this as a learning experience. Combined with her splendid imagination, these efforts have taken her pretty far.

heyang

Record Breaker
Michele was o nly in the bottom because she didn't fulfill the requirements of the challenge. Nina said not to make a t-shirt and pants and that the outfit had to be editorial.

Patricia is 'different', but she's also been also been able to put together some fabulous pieces. So, I'm not surprised that they would want to keep her to the runway show.

While Stanley seems 'safe', his clothing is always impeccable and well thought out. I think he also proved that he could push out of his comfort zone when he worked with Michele on the avant garde look.

Michelle tends to be more rock'n'roll or edgy. I think they 'saved' her because of her performance during the entire season, just as they made season 3 a final 4 because of Mycheal Knight's overall season vs performance on last pre-finale challenge.

Laylana is my # 4. She's made some nice pieces, but I just feel like she hasn't really pushed herself yet.

I'm most surprised that Daniel is still around.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
but some don't seem successful at all.

Just like some of the other designers.

Olympia said:
I think the last dress was a bit of a mess.

I totally agree. She was also teaching at the same time and I think she was embarrassed by her design.

Olympia said:
They didn't even like that dress. But they liked her, so they kept her. Very interesting thought process they showed. One thing they said that fascinated me was that she doesn't reference anyone and doesn't seem to be influenced by anyone. It's as if they're people in the French Academy of Music (can't remember the exact name) who feel they've found another Debussy. This is not the usual way they speak.

Patricia is Native American...her designs are Native American inspired. Her design education is Native American, Institute of American Indian Art, Chicago Art Institute, worked with a tailor in Italy.

So Patricia she was saved by default. Michelle had in her own words....a wonderful design. Michelle didn't follow the instructions (but Michelle thought her design was the best and was wonderful)and Patricia should have been sent home because she tried and followed the instructions given?? I'm confused.

Michelle made terrible comments about Stanley's design, yet it won. But when the judges made comments about her design and they weren't even mean, they just said you didn't follow the instructions. It put her in the bottom two....she cried??? That totally confused me.

I don't think Patricia will make it to Fashion Week but she is the first designer on PR that brought a totally different design and it was refreshing to me. I hope that she will get to Fashion Week, I would love to see a collection but the time limitations will be extremely hard on her.

Dee, thanks for looking up Patricia's background. I love that she studied with a tailor in Italy. I suspect that wherever she ends up in the rankings, she'll go forward in her career now that people know about her.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm excited to see the designers collections. I loved Daniel's design as well as Stanley's, but not so much the cape. I think that Patricia's concept was terrific but not executed as well. Next week is the finale.

Very excited!

[a week or so later]

I love the episode each season where Tim makes a home visit and meets the designers' families. The different combinations are so fascinating, and the eager generosity with which parents, grandparents, siblings, nieces, and so on greet Tim and spread out a feast for him is very touching. I love how many parents express such faith in their contestant kids. Especially heartwarming are the parents who are devoted to gay offspring and their partners. It shows how far we have come. This time, favorites were Patricia's family, who seem to live in a pueblo near Santa Fe, and Stanley and his longtime (20 years) partner.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Well if those 3 outfits are any indicator of who will win this year, IMO, Michelle is far & away the most innovative & has great designs. Loved her "wolf" sweater. I'm glad Patricia went through altho living in the west I'm very aware that 2 of the outfits she showed are takeoffs of cultural Native American designs. What was Daniel thinking? Presenting all black dresses. I get so tired of designers year after year bringing us black, black, black. I'm an old woman as most of you know but I wouldn't wear any of Stanley's dresses. They were too old fashioned for me. Well, maybe the gold blouse. :popcorn:

Up until this week, I would have said that Stanley was the frontrunner, but I agree that those designs were very stodgy. I did like that gold charmeuse blouse, though.

I absolutely agree with you about Michelle. Loved those outfits. The wolf sweater--a knockout. And I loved that coat. It had a bit of a steampunk vibe, which I like. The way she used a tight range of colors that gave more variety than black but still shared a lot of tones was splendid. I haven't yearned to wear someone's final collection this strongly since Christian Syriano. His jackets were all black, which I don't like, but they were so varied and texturally gorgeous.

I think that Patricia probably could veer off into Native American cliche if she's not really, really careful. Obviously that's her preferred idiom, but she needs to infuse it with the original fiber-arts elements that she has shown us rather than just put it in straight up. I thought that the horsehair tendrils were a bit too close to ceremonial wear, for example.

heyang

Record Breaker
I'm an old woman as most of you know but I wouldn't wear any of Stanley's dresses. They were too old fashioned for me. Well, maybe the gold blouse. :popcorn:

That's what Stanley gets for not listening to Tim! Actually, he has time to re-work some of the pieces...... They did look like a collection and they were well made. Based upon earlier episodes, Stanley does have the ability to make some changes quickly. What he needs to do is think 'how would Michelle tweak this outfit' because they had the best collaboration of this season.

Right now, I'd say Michelle is the front runner. I loved her coat! I do wish she had used a color other than her favorite green with neutrals.

Not sure how Patricia will fair. Some of her pieces were interesting and others too over the top. I agreed that the hat was a bit distracting and that the blue dress wasn't part of the collection with the other 2 pieces.

I don't regret that Daniel was eliminated.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am in the minority here because I didn't like Michelle's 3 pieces at all. I am not sure why she is in the finale...just my opinion.

I loved Patricia's blue dress and the feather print dress black & white dress.

The only thing I didn't like was in Stanley's 3 piece collection was the gold charmeuse blouse because the color was not gold but kind of an antique color. I think if the color was gold it would have made the outfit pop. The materials he used were luscious and the details in close up were outstanding. I do think the styling for the gold dress was off, therefore making it look less than what Stanley's great designs normally look like. Again the material used in the gold dress was luscious.

One of the judges seemed to suggest that Stanley mix and match his pieces. That could work to jazz things up a bit. So that hand-studded top would be put with another skirt or slacks rather than the bottom piece made in the same material.

Obviously my choice and yours are different, Dee. Fortunately, the three remaining contestants are so very different that this final will have something for almost everyone.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I did & tho't it would be a toss up between Michelle & Patricia. Stanley shortened his hems but not enough in my opinion. I did like his white dress. Very impressed with Patricia's overall look. I think she'll be quite successful. But Michelle's designs were more "my style" & my favorite design of all is still the wolf sweater.

Agreed that Michelle's designs were more my style too. The only exceptions: why do designers make cleavage down to the waist? It isn't attractive. It breaks up the line of the fabric—makes it look like suspender straps—and it can only be worn by women who have no poitrine at all. Even so, it looks precarious: will she bend the wrong way and show everything?

But I loved that first coat on the runway as well as the coat from last time, and the other structured jackets and tops, and her layering, and the sweaters. I could see myself wearing many of her outfits.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
My guess re the cleavage is that these are designed for women who wish to show off their expensive breast implants...:confused:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched and was surprised at Patricia's collection. I don't know if anyone else was interested in Patricia's clothes that she, herself, wore. Patricia being a plus size, I loved her look. Did anyone else notice the jacket she had on for the runway show??? I loved Patricia's children & Stanley's partner and the outpour of love from them.

Forgot to mention, did anyone else like Dmitry's collection???

I did love Dmitry. He was a very interesting designer, I thought.

I too enjoyed the loved ones of the competitors. That's something the show always does very well, and this group was especially congenial. You could see that Stanley and his partner practically read each other's minds, and Patricia's whole family displayed a strong bond. Look down at the Q & A section in this part of the PR site to see her talk about her family. They all sound amazing.
http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-11/designers/patricia-michaels

I did enjoy Patricia's collection. I didn't think it should win, but you could see that she's doing a lot of innovative, beautiful things with fabric. I don't see her as a garmento on Seventh Avenue or in LA. She needs to find another way out into the world. The great thing about her Project Runway fame is that it will give her a boost. As for not winning the money, I don't see that mattering too much to Patricia. She has a meaningful, rich life and has always been able to live for her art.

I agree that Patricia's build contributed to the interest of her clothing. I can't imagine her designing an outfit with cleavage down to there. She makes clothing in which people can move comfortably. She isn't really a couturiere; she's a fiber artist. And thank goodness for that!