Hype | Golden Skate

Hype

Mao88

Record Breaker
Osmondflation has now probably overtaken inflation, in terms of the inflation element. Osmond's scores at both Skate Canada and Canadian Nationals were absurd. Silly comparisons have been made with legendary skaters. Equally silly suggestions have been made that she can beat Kim, Mao, Ashley, Carolina to the World title. Indeed, I cannot think of any other skater who has been more overhyped and overrated in the entire history of figure skating than Kaetlyn Osmond

Osmond: the most overhyped & overrrated skater ever? What do you think?

Here is an article which typifies the ridiculous proportions that the hype has reached. Its title?:-

Canada's Rising Star May Pose Challenge to Kim Yu-na

I don't think so

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
i thought so until i saw her skate at her nationals,
maybe a bit but not like all the u.s ladies
she will be fighting mao, carolina kostner, adelina, elizaveta, probable ashely for the medals.

for me ashely should be off the podium at worlds based on what i seen.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I think, by creating this thread, you are adding fuel to the fire. This thread has the potential to become something incredibly mean; she's only sixteen, for goodness's sakes!

A lot of people seem to agree that she has a lot of potential and needs to grow into it-- I agree with that.

And inflation at Nationals is nothing new.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I just find it funny I dont even visit the pcs gap with Yuna thread, lol
some are insisting she will rack a 70+ score in SP, its was at Canadian Nationals notorious for having the inflated scores
Carolina can barely even reach a 70+ score

I she skates clean she might be around Ashley range in pcs and scoring
she has a shot in Top 5 maybe bronze if others have a meltdown

skatel80

On the Ice
I think, by creating this thread, you are adding fuel to the fire. This thread has the potential to become something incredibly mean; she's only sixteen, for goodness's sakes!

A lot of people seem to agree that she has a lot of potential and needs to grow into it-- I agree with that.

Yes I agree! People seem to forget that behind it all these skaters are people too!, and Osmond is only 16! she has so much potential and is in my opinion an excellent skater. good for her that she is having this success! :)

Mao88

Record Breaker
I just find it funny I dont even visit the pcs gap with Yuna thread, lol
some are insisting she will rack a 70+ score in SP, its was at Canadian Nationals notorious for having the inflated scores
Carolina can barely even reach a 70+ score

I she skates clean she might be around Ashley range in pcs and scoring
she has a shot in Top 5 maybe bronze if others have a meltdown

Marked properly, she would just about scrape into the top 10. She is a talented skater who is being over promoted beyond her current abilities. She should be allowed to develop at her own pace. Long term, she has the potential to medal at a world championships in the next quad, but certainly not at the moment.

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

but there are ranges in National inflation though
like say how the current US nationals had the least inflation Wagner 64-66 Gold 51-54 etc.
or Russian Nationals who also have low inflation mirroring scores B/S -68-69 and Sotnikova 64-68 etc.

By Inflation Standards from highest to lowest national inflations

1 Canada
2 France
3 Japan
4 Italy
5 Russia
6 China
7 USA

Mirunna

Record Breaker
She can jump(though she got edges on both her flip and lutz at Skate Canada so she must figure that out)
She is probably past puberty issues
She can compete which is a rare quality
Everything else can be improved but she's got what it's needed for a champion. Currently I don't think she is world podium material but who knows. All the top ladies are inconsistent except maybe Yuna Kim

fairly4

Medalist
sky fly 20
i think the overinflated scores this is by ladies only-highest to lowest
of the ones i seen, usa, italy, japan, russian, canada

1) U.S.A.
2)Italy
3) korea
3)russia
4)canada
5) japan

for me italy and usa has tied and they aren't done yet. mao for what she did was low, yu-na in short was a high, long was passable,
russian was okay, canada okay in short -bit high in long, italy, was no different.
comparable scores japan is one of the lowest -for what skaters skated, but with mistakes okay.
others didn't take enough off.

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
sky fly 20
i think the overinflated scores this is by ladies only-highest to lowest
of the ones i seen, usa, italy, japan, russian, canada

1) U.S.A.
2)Italy
3) korea
3)russia
4)canada
5) japan

for me italy and usa has tied and they aren't done yet. mao for what she did was low, yu-na in short was a high, long was passable,
russian was okay, canada okay in short -bit high in long, italy, was no different.
comparable scores japan is one of the lowest -for what skaters skated, but with mistakes okay.
others didn't take enough off.

usa as first in national inflation in ladies ?
their current scoring have been conservative, not even near Osmonds's 70+ at Nationals

Carolina got around 70+ at Italian Nationals, she would score around 68-69+ at Euros had she been clean, not that inflated
Adelina got 65+ at Rus Nationals, got 67+ at Euros, so not that inflated at all

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Breaking my policy of not talking about the boards on the boards -- I do agree that this thread does add fuel to the fire. If there is frusration by the amount of hype Kaetlyn gets on these boards, it seems counter intuitive to add yet another thread to The Edge. So far this year she's been the subject of half a dozen threads. I find that unnecessary.

And while I find this hype of her a bit much, I think we ought to be careful not to show malice toward Kaetlyn herself. She has done nothing to merit such malice, should it come -- on this thread or otherwise. As I said on another thread, I think Kaetlyn as a skater and a person is terrific.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think she's overhyped only by Canadians, who are understandably excited to have another good skater after a long dry spell (besides Rochette of course). I don't think anyone besides an uberfan thinks she will get (or deserves) PCS on par with Yuna.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think she's overhyped only by Canadians, who are understandably excited to have another good skater after a long dry spell (besides Rochette of course). I don't think anyone besides an uberfan thinks she will get (or deserves) PCS on par with Yuna.

I agree, saying she will get 70+ in SP and be almost at par with Yuna is pcs is a bit too much
Carolina or Ashley wont even break a 70+ score

Mao88

Record Breaker
Breaking my policy of not talking about the boards on the boards -- I do agree that this thread does add fuel to the fire. If there is frusration by the amount of hype Kaetlyn gets on these boards, it seems counter intuitive to add yet another thread to The Edge. So far this year she's been the subject of half a dozen threads. I find that unnecessary.

And while I find this hype of her a bit much, I think we ought to be careful not to show malice toward Kaetlyn herself. She has done nothing to merit such malice, should it come -- on this thread or otherwise. As I said on another thread, I think Kaetlyn as a skater and a person is terrific.

Nobody is being unkind towards Kaetlyn personally. Personally, I think she is a talented skater who has the potential to medal at Worlds in the next quad if she continues to progress at the rate she is. The problem is with those behind the overhype. Ultimately, I think they are doing her a disservice by overhyping her, as the inflated expectations will act as an unwanted burden for her, which could ultimately stunt her development. She should be allowed to develop at her own rate. By allowing her to do so, I think she can ultimately become a major contender.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Re overhyping (as distinct from overrating):

About a year ago, the hype over Gracie Gold seemed to be off the charts.
And IMHO, virtually everyone seemed happy to embrace the hype. Skeptics, if any, remained under the radar. The mania was totally lopsided in her favor.

OTOH, IMHO, cheerleaders for vs. skeptics of Osmond all along have equalled each other with the intensity of their support vs. doubts, respectively.

Wishing both Osmond and Gold well as they continue with this season and future seasons. Seems safe to say that the best from each is yet to come.

(If Gold qualifies for Four Continents, Worlds, and/or WTT, will be interesting to see how they fare head to head at this point. :popcorn:)​

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Nobody is being unkind towards Kaetlyn personally. Personally, I think she is a talented skater who has the potential to medal at Worlds in the next quad if she continues to progress at the rate she is. The problem is with those behind the overhype. Ultimately, I think they are doing her a disservice by overhyping her, as the inflated expectations will act as an unwanted burden for her, which could ultimately stunt her development. She should be allowed to develop at her own rate. By allowing her to do so, I think she can ultimately become a major contender.

I think we're both in agreement regarding the overhype. That I don't dispute. And I wasn't trying to pick on you for starting this thread--- I just feel like there's been way to many threads on her on these boards in general.

I don't think anyone has been unkind toward her directly, but IMO, I think it's really easy for people to go there. It's just human nature.

Hype is nothing new -- we've seen it with Gracie Gold, Adelina/Liza/Julia/et. and many otheres. You are right that it really adversly affect people, as we've seen with Gracie and Adelina this season (though yey for Adelina for pulling a great SP at Euros!)

loren

Rinkside
I kind of understand hypes toward Adelina, Elizaveta, and Gold in the past, because they all had DIFFICULT JUMPS (such as 3lz-3t, 3f-3t, 3f-3lo etc.,) that most of seniors cannot do.
But Kaetlyn, only have 3t-3t, and 3flutz. Nothing really special in her jump content, and nothing that really stand up in artistry compared to the above girls except, the NUMBER of transitions..It is only natural for one to belive that because she has strong federation on her back, that she is winning..

Thinking that she can be on the same level as Yuna in PCS, is just so pathetic.

Last edited:

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
Well "most" and "ever" are very strong words. The people I see talking about her the most are those who like to complain about her. Canada doesn't have very many strong ladies so we get excited whenever a potential comes along. Just let us rub our hands in glee and be happy. Though I do recall forum discussions back in the day that said that Rochette would never reach the podium either.

It's hard to predict what the judges will do (and sometimes it isn't!) so I prefer to sit back and let the skaters do the talking. All I know is that I really do enjoy Kaetlyn's skating. And I'm glad that are some other young ladies progressing at the National level so hopefully they will present true competition and force each other to up their content and presentation.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Re overhyping (as distinct from overrating):

About a year ago, the hype over Gracie Gold seemed to be off the charts.
And IMHO, virtually everyone seemed happy to embrace the hype. Skeptics, if any, remained under the radar. The mania was totally lopsided in her favor.

In fairness, nobody was ever arguing that Gracie deserved artistic marks on par with Yuna. The excitement with Gracie was her 3/3s and she delivered them time after time last year. Nobody is mad at Kaetlyn, just some of us think it's ridiculous to label her as the best artistic skater in the world at the moment when she hasn't broken 117 in an international event.

momskate

Rinkside
Watching US nationals, US ladies can't even produce any 3+3
As for canadian nationals all lady medalists did 3+3 even in their short program. Speaking of hype, I guess canadians learning from their american neighbour bad habits.