2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies LP | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies LP

sask8

Rinkside
sign Mirai just cant hold it together under pressure

Gracie was awesome , Ashely winning with 2 falls
a sign of her not so good things for Worlds ? looks a bit deja vu

Nagasu has been under the weather all week and you could tell it was coming to a head this evening. She was sniffling through her whole FS

vera01

Final Flight
Yes, Gracie should've won. But she might feel more pressure after winning and who knows what'll happen at 4CC and at Worlds? Remember her SP at this year's Nationals. Worlds, or even 4CC, isn't like Nationals. She won't be able to walk away with a medal if she has a SP full of mistakes.

Gracie might do better than Ashley at both 4CC and Worlds-Ashley has all the pressure on her shoulders now that she's a national champion. I just hope that Gracie does well in both of the events.

amc987

On the Ice
Based on their skates tonight, I think I would've had 1. Gold 2. Gao 3. Zawadzki 4. Wagner 5. Nagasu. But that wouldn't have made sense. There's no way we'd have a chance of getting a 3rd spot at Worlds without Ashley. Like it or not, she's the most consistent skater we have, especially on the international stage. If Gracie felt a lot of pressure here, wait until she's responsible for helping the US get 3 spots for Sochi.

This win reminds me a lot of Alissa Czisny's win in '09. She skated a subpar long program but got held up because of her advantage in the short, much like Ashley did tonight. I think Ashley's FS score was way too high for what she put out, but I guess USFSA did what it had to do to make sure she went to London. It's a shame Agnes wasn't able to do a clean long (has she done one since she turned senior?) and that Christina got lowballed on the score. I also don't get why Courtney Hicks ended up so high, but I guess she skated one of the better technical programs of the night. I still found her program kind of boring and uninspired...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Wagner was totally off tonight, started cautiously then becoming more and more nervous as she progressed. Two footed the Salchow, fell on a Flutz with the same unclear and bizarre take off, UR the Loop then fell on it and stumbled on her final Flip. After the two falls, she was very slow as though her energy was completely drained. :unsure:

Yet, she scored 121+ for this effort. This is a score of desperation. Even on a good day, she is not a naturally artistic skater - her biggest weapon has always been her consistency. GPF + the Nationals, it doesn't look like she is that consistent anymore. Plus, her jump content in both SP and LP are a step lower than what others do to begin with so if she doesn't skate clean, she can kiss the World podium good bye.

and they made a mistake not giving Gracie the title
I think Gracie might place higher than Ashley at Worlds

its like 2012 Worlds all over again with Ashley in Alissa shoes this time

Art&Sport

Medalist
It looks like the forum crashed for awhile.

So, to catch up: I couldn't watch after Ashley's second fall. I thought for sure she would lose the title and maybe had an outside chance of making the team.

I didn't watch the rest of Ashley's program or her marks. I turned the tv back on to see Mirai's performance but only caught a little bit of the end. It looks like Scott Hamilton jinxed Mirai when they were replaying the sp and he remarked then that with the flu Mirai would have a hard time maintaining her endurance in the fp. Thanks a lot Scott! :disapp: :disagree: :bang:

Okay, that was so awful what they did to Mirai. They didn't even want her to be in third place in the sp but had no choice since she skated so well. To dump her to 7th while ensuring that Ashley stayed in first, and keeping Agnes in the medals. :unsure: :confused:

It's like USFS is saying, "We're just putting up with you, Mirai. You couldn't cut it with Frank Carroll, so we don't care how hard you worked this season. Now, go home and quit." Ugh. That's more than a slap in the face. That's a beat down. She looked devastated when her scores came up. It's like USFS is fed up with both Mirai and Caroline, the youngsters they hyped to the nth degree as junior skaters who back then still needed a chance to grow up first without all the over-hyping and cameras in their faces. To me it seems that Mirai is automatically marked down quite often for URs even when she hasn't made any.

And, like I said Gao should have placed higher. I think something that might help Gao is trying to develop a lot more belief in herself, because she's someone that apparently will have to grab PTB by the neck and squeeze if she ever wants to get out of 5th place. She skated the best she's ever skated at a Nationals and deserved to be in the medals. Falling out of a spin and successfully fighting for a few jumps IMO is not as bad as falling on a 2-axel in the short program and falling again in the fp like Agnes did. Oh, yeah, but I forgot, they reward how many revolutions you made before you fell, but you aren't hardly rewarded for saving a jump that had the requisite number of revolutions and was completely landed but didn't receive enough GOEs. Crazy sport ... jeez. It was indeed a roller coaster.

The only way to explain USFS love for Agnes and Hicks is, "Oh wow, these girls can land clean triple/ triples." But I bet if USFS decide to send Hicks or Agnes in the third spot for the Olympics next year (if Ashley and Gracie do their job at Worlds this year), Hicks won't fare that well internationally, even with her jumps because she's not a well-rounded skater and she lacks maturity. Agnes would be a hit or miss, because although she might score decently if she skates cleanly, if she makes the kind of mistakes she made at this Nationals, she will not come close to being gifted by international judges.

I know that Siraj is Gao's training mate, but jeez, although Siraj is a talented jumper and it's commendable how she has come back from injury, Gao to me has so much more elegance and presence on the ice. Christina Gao just needs to believe in herself. I hope Christina will continue skating and get stronger mentally to make a run for the Olympic team next season. (ETA: I actually thought Siraj was in front of Gao, but I guess not).

Lastly, I love Ashley's fight and her fighting spirit, but she is definitely wounded going into Worlds up against at the least Yu Na, Mao, Carolina, the Russians, and her own teammate, that is if Gracie delivers the goods in both of her programs. I still do love Ashley and her chances, and I'm rooting for her too, and I'm so glad she did defend her title with a little help from the rep she's accrued over the course of this season and her solid sp at Nats.

I guess Four Continents here they come!

BTW, why wasn't IceNetwork showing backstage coverage re the award ceremonies and post free program press conferences. Only the ice dance press conference was up.

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
If Gracie had just skated clean in the SP, she would be the Champion. But she started way too far down to overtake Ashley. After seeing the protocols, I can't find too much fault in either Gracie's or Ashley's marks including the PCS. Ashley won the gold and Agnes held on to the bronze by virtue of their SP's.

As for Mirai, I could see in real-time a bunch of UR's and knew she was likely to get dinged even on some of the jumps that looked "clean." Not surprised to see her protocol details confirm that. Sad for her, but she has had time to correct this ongoing problem and still hasn't, so she wouldn't be a good bet to put out there for Worlds anyway. Christina: yet another 5th place. She's probably frustrated; I would have had her in fourth over Courtney Hicks. I thought Gao's PCS were low compared to Hicks' (or Hicks were too high, take your pick).

I also thought Cesario should have been ahead of Siraj.

Given how strict the Technical panel has been with < and <<, don't you think they should have mark Wagner's 3Lo with a < at least? It was so clearly <, possibly even << yet, nope, it was given full mark! :rolleye: In such a close competition, this call alone could have made the difference. Don't get me started on P/E component getting 8s and 9s and averaged above 8 for this one. She was not performing - she was scared, cautious and nervous and no speed. The audience knew it and everyone else including you can see it too.

Ask yourself, is this fair to Caroline and Mirai that Ashley alone is getting such a preferential treatment? Ironically, in her post-FS interview, her first sentence was, something to the effect of : "My good season helped me here..." I read that as : "Given my medals on the GP Circuit, the U.S. judges gave me a lot of bonus points tonight." :sarcasm:

wallylutz

Medalist
To add insult to injury, 4CC will be in Japan and Mirai won't be going. I bet she really wanted to go. If she had at least finished 3rd or 4th, she would likely have been selected but now, it will just make her even more upset for a while.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Definitely, Gao should have won at least a pewter medal, and Cesario should have been ahead of both Hicks and Siraj in fifth place IMHO. Agnes was extremely lucky to even be on the podium.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
loos like Ashley will have an extra burden now of winning Nationals with a not so good performance record
Gracie should capitalize on this a 4CC's if she can handle it

Pls STOP the Zawadzki overpromotion
she is not that good, her jumps arent that reliable and her pcs is poor internationally

wallylutz

Medalist
Yes, Gracie should've won. But she might feel more pressure after winning and who knows what'll happen at 4CC and at Worlds? Remember her SP at this year's Nationals. Worlds, or even 4CC, isn't like Nationals. She won't be able to walk away with a medal if she has a SP full of mistakes.

Gracie might do better than Ashley at both 4CC and Worlds-Ashley has all the pressure on her shoulders now that she's a national champion. I just hope that Gracie does well in both of the events.

That's besides the point, one way or the other, she needs to start getting used to it if she wants to be a champion. In the short-run, this may help Ashley maintaining her standing in the eyes of ISU judges as the U.S. Champion. In the long-run, it may not be such a good idea. If Tara Lipinski wasn't allowed to become the 1997 U.S. Champion despite Michelle's poor skate, would Tara be able to win the Worlds and Olympics that followed?

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Given how strict the Technical panel has been with < and <<, don't you think they should have mark Wagner's 3Lo with a < at least?

A quick perusal of the protocols revealed fewer < and << than would be expected after watching the programs. Even Caroline Zhang didn't have any calls, and usually she does. It seems the tech panel was only picking out the most obvious and egregious examples....of which Mirai incontrovertably had the most, at least in the last group. I did not see a Wagner < 3Lo in real-time...maybe your eyes are better than mine or you are a bigger nit-picker.

As for comments from others comparing Ashley to Alissa situation....I'm not getting that at all. Ashley has been competing strongly for 12 months, and I'm inclined to think this performance was a fluke, the outlier. Alissa on the other hand, had an inconsistent competitive history for every season. Again, Gracie wuzntrobbed; she created her own obstacle by bungling her SP, and I'm not particularly impressed by her skating where I think she deserves any more than high 6's or low 7's on her PCS.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
As for comments from others comparing Ashley to Alissa situation....I'm not getting that at all. Ashley has been competing strongly for 12 months, and I'm inclined to think this performance was a fluke, the outlier. Alissa on the other hand, had an inconsistent competitive history for every season. Again, Gracie wuzntrobbed; she created her own obstacle by bungling her SP, and I'm not particularly impressed by her skating where I think she deserves any more than high 6's or low 7's on her PCS.

its more of Alissa's 2011 Season when starting the GPF she started to struggle
Ashley has struggled since GPF, now nationals we'll see how she does at 4CC

wallylutz

Medalist
its more of Alissa's 2011 Season when starting the GPF she started to struggle
Ashley has struggled since GPF, now nationals we'll see how she does at 4CC

I am not sure Ashely will go to 4CC, she may decline to go - just a hunch based on the fact it's so close to the U.S. Nationals and she may need some time to recuperate.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
Well, perhaps we can turn this into a positive? If Ashley had to have a skate like this, at least she did it here and not at 4cc's or Worlds.

change of edge

Rinkside
She also missed out on Worlds when it was in Los Angeles, and Worlds when it was in Tokyo.

My heart still breaks for Mirai. Seeing her in the kiss and cry was the saddest I've felt in a long time.

To add insult to injury, 4CC will be in Japan and Mirai won't be going. I bet she really wanted to go. If she had at least finished 3rd or 4th, she would likely have been selected but now, it will just make her even more upset for a while.

delray1977

Rinkside
Actually I'm not surprised Ashley had this performance. John Nicks admitted he was a little worried because she had been sick with food poisoning about a week before nationals and believe me, I have had food poisoning myself and it can knock you out. She has about a month and a half until worlds so she has time to sort it out.

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
It was a very emotional night. The second to last group skated so well. It really would have been so fantastic to see the last group skate with more chutzpah than nerves. It's got to be so seriously hard to do though under those intense circumstances.

There's no question that Gracie needs to work more on polishing and refinement, and hopefully she can get to that point. She obviously needs some time to mature. Her jumps this evening were absolutely pure and flawless. It won't be easy to show that every time out, but let's see if this Nationals fp at least will be a turning point for her. She also needs to continue to beware of the "too much hype" machine. It can be a killer -- just ask Caroline and Mirai. :eek:hwell:

Riemann

Rinkside
I thought Wagner was gifted and I was surprised by Mirai's score and placement, but I am going to watch it again before making a final determination.

Last edited: