Who still needs to get a Mininum TES? | Golden Skate

Who still needs to get a Mininum TES?

GF2445

Record Breaker
At this stage in the season, top skaters from non european countries are using the four continents as a building block towards worlds in London Ontario and ultimately Sochi 2014. However, for some skaters, this is a last ditch effort to get those pesky Technical minimum scores in order to gain entry to the world championships, which this year is the main round of Olympic qualification.

Skaters who fail to make it or to not make the LP/FD at 2013 worlds will have to fight it out at Nebelhorn 2013 for the last spots.

If you know of any of the skaters/ pair teams or dance teams competing at 2013 four continents who need to achieve a minimum score please post here.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Elladj Balde - Canada (men)
Amelie LaCoste - Canada (ladies)

SC has already announced Osmond, but has no substitute currently eligible. The third spot for men is open, but nominally held by Andrei Rogozine as he's the only man available (1 and 2 named to Chan and Reynolds) with the score. Three possiblities

a) Balde beats Rogozine, but is unable to earn the minimum. Rogozine goes.
b) Rogozine beats Balde. Rogozine goes (even if Balde earns the minimum)
c) Balde beats Rogozine and earns the minimum - Balde goes (just a guess)

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Amelie LaCoste - Canada (ladies)

Just checked Amelie got her SP minimum at the US classic but she still hasn't earned the required 48pts for the FS. If Osmond opens 2 canadian spots, Amelie will need it.

Elladj is in the same position got the SP at Skate Canada 2012 but no FS minimum yet.

GF2445

Record Breaker
In the ice dance, the teams that need minimum TCS for worlds include

The Aussies. they got their minimum TCS for their free dance at the nesquik cup but still in need to achieve the minimum score for the short dance (they got a TCS 28.50 at the nesquik cup for sd!! Sooo close)

The Chinese team of xiaoyang yu/Chen wang need both sd and fd min TCS. (teammates xun and zheng who are not going to 4cc need both too so it's not looking good for china)

Even though the reeds are going to worlds so this probably doesn't matter as much but the two other Japanese teams need both just in case the very unlikely situation of the reeds qualifing 2 places for the Olympics for Japan at 2013 worlds does happen).

The mexicans need both, as well as the Uzbeki team.

In the pairs: Just in case China gets 3 spots wenting wang/ yan zheng need to achieve the minimum for the SP if they want to be in contention of the third Olympic spot. America's Felicia zhang/ Nathan bartholomay also needs to get the min score for the sp too (they got the fd score at us classic)

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
America's Felicia zhang/ Nathan bartholomay also needs to get the min score for the sp too (they got the fd score at us classic)

Slightly off topic: I think this pairing is charming. Very likeable. I hope they achieve it.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Slightly off topic: I think this pairing is charming. Very likeable. I hope they achieve it.

I really do hope so too. They seem like a good team, especially since they literally came from nowhere and did well at us nationals.
I really want to root for these teams/skaters who need these minimums. Yes there is the battle for the medals but battling for those minimum scores is the fight which is never brought up in a broadcast.

I know by placing these min TCS is The isu's attempt of 'trimming the fat' money wise and that's a legit reason but still, is this too going to hurt the sport?

deedee1

Record Breaker
The third spot for men is open, but nominally held by Andrei Rogozine as he's the only man available (1 and 2 named to Chan and Reynolds) with the score. Three possiblities

a) Balde beats Rogozine, but is unable to earn the minimum. Rogozine goes.
b) Rogozine beats Balde. Rogozine goes (even if Balde earns the minimum)
c) Balde beats Rogozine and earns the minimum - Balde goes (just a guess)

Your guess is what I wish for!!! :)
While I was pleasantly surprised by Rogozine's two gutsy performances, I was so sad Balde had a bad Free and did not podium at the Nats...

GOOO Elladj! :party:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really want to root for these teams/skaters who need these minimums. Yes there is the battle for the medals but battling for those minimum scores is the fight which is never brought up in a broadcast.

I hadn't thought of that. It must be a terrific milestone for up-and-coming skaters to achieve the benchmark that says, "We're good enough to compete with the very best!"

I really do hope so too. They seem like a good team, especially since they literally came from nowhere and did well at us nationals.

They've actually been competing quite well all season so far and showed promise last season as well. :)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
They changed the minimums - both LaCoste and Balde have them now. SO I think SC will just chose which skater is ahead between Balde and Rogozine, but they want Balde.

gmyers

Record Breaker
If Balde is chosen Rogozine needs to go to Russia! He'd be champion material!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
If Balde is chosen Rogozine needs to go to Russia! He'd be champion material!

You know, I'm a bit surprised Skate Canada isn't chomping at the bit re: that narrative. Balde's a showman, though, something most of the Canadian skaters (if not all) aren't.

If I was SC, I would heavily invest in Rogozine. Last season wasn't very good for him but he's generally consistent and has been improving his presentation as well.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
If I was SC, I would heavily invest in Rogozine. Last season wasn't very good for him but he's generally consistent and has been improving his presentation as well.

Yeah, Balde is entertaining but he's not consistent, jump-wise and has kind of a clunky look on the ice.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I love Balde's charismatic style and his FS is so different from what any of the other men are doing. He reminds me of Klimkin in some of his more experimental programs. I really appreciate skaters who think outside the box and venture into new terrain. Especially when so many skaters are doing the same old music and the same old interpretation (even though that's what the judges like and "know how to score"). :rolleye:

Rogozine definitely earned his bronze at Nationals, but with experience he won't be so drained at the end of his FS. Hoping his artistry develops as well to match his jumping ability.

GF2445

Record Breaker
In the ice dance, the teams that need minimum TCS for worlds include

The Aussies. they got their minimum TCS for their free dance at the nesquik cup but still in need to achieve the minimum score for the short dance (they got a TCS 28.50 at the nesquik cup for sd!! Sooo close)

The Chinese team of xiaoyang yu/Chen wang need both sd and fd min TCS. (teammates xun and zheng who are not going to 4cc need both too so it's not looking good for china)

Even though the reeds are going to worlds so this probably doesn't matter as much but the two other Japanese teams need both just in case the very unlikely situation of the reeds qualifing 2 places for the Olympics for Japan at 2013 worlds does happen).

The mexicans need both, as well as the Uzbeki team.

In the pairs: Just in case China gets 3 spots wenting wang/ yan zheng need to achieve the minimum for the SP if they want to be in contention of the third Olympic spot. America's Felicia zhang/ Nathan bartholomay also needs to get the min score for the sp too (they got the fd score at us classic)

With the changes to the minimum in pairs, wenting wang/yan zheng have qualified. Zhang/Bartholomay still need the minimum for the SP. Ice Dance remains unchanged (to my disliking. wish it was 28pts).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Rogozine would be the better choice - he seems to h ave more potential and the Olympics are in Russia - isn't that his native land? I am still thinking though no one will be watching Balde or Rgozine. They will be looking at the jaapnese guys. Thisis a big event for Reynolds to show he can challenge the Americans.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rogozine would be the better choice - he seems to h ave more potential and the Olympics are in Russia - isn't that his native land? I am still thinking though no one will be watching Balde or Rgozine. They will be looking at the jaapnese guys. Thisis a big event for Reynolds to show he can challenge the Americans.

FYI, Russia is native home to both Rogozine and Balde :p