2013 Europeans Men's LP | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2013 Europeans Men's LP

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Ummmm, why is Joubert skating to Gladiator? What happened to the amazing Inception program?!?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Ummmm, why is Joubert skating to Gladiator? What happened to the amazing Inception program?!?
The judges didn't approve and he wasn't happy with his PCS. There was talk around the time of TEB that skating to Gladiator competitively might be a good idea for him, and reportedly Gailhaguet suggested it as well. I loved Inception, too. But if the judges keep pushing Joubert toward techno and certain types of soundtracks, I can't blame him for returning to his comfort zone.

I don't think what he wore yesterday was the final costume, BTW. It's basically the same as this costume worn by Bruno Massot for a completely different program.

LRK

Record Breaker
Yes, I was heartbroken at the ditching of the Inception - I thought it was such a perfect fit for him! Why, he even talked about saving it for the Olympic season - that the music gave him goosebumps - and then, just like that, it was gone! I certainly don't blame him for changing it - after all, he's the one skating to the music/program - I just wish he hadn't. I mourn that program... I never got to see it skated as it should have been skated. :cry:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Without doubt, Javi deserved to win, he was remarkable, but how come his PCS suddenly inflated to 89?
It's Orser camp dude, so we shouldn't be surprised with ANY score :laugh:. Whie his FS is more meaningful than chaotic SP, still there's nothing near 9 with this bear-like skating. Also, I think Orser doesn't clearly know how to match the skater ability and the prog. As the result- no clean skate from Javi, and not from him only in Brian's school. In any case Javi is the rightful winner. Here he is with his proud and overjoyed parents: http://cs416930.userapi.com/v416930229/33c0/klFdHIo0ohk.jpg

Cheers to Brezina for finally getting a Euro medal that he has been wanting for so long. Poor Tomas. Those 36 for TES and 71 for PCS must be some kind of record of 35 points difference between TES and PCS. CoP is so schizophrenic.

RusFed made the right choice sending Kovtun. The dude delivered in spite of all the pressure regarding his spot. The audience went crazy, which was very understandable after watching 3 lousy groups, and the kid got the ovation that later only Javi could beat. Congrats, Maxpalych! And thanks for this backstage pic: http://instagram.com/p/U_InkriBWF/
Dame TAT watching him: www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9cF5da6Z7I

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Without doubt, Javi deserved to win, he was remarkable, but how come his PCS suddenly inflated to 89?
He had similar TES and performances at GPF and got only 82 in PCS then.
His pro looks like focusing on technical sides, having lots of resting points.
His SS is not in the same league as Chan and Takahashi yet.
His coach happens to be Orser, that may explain all.

1. At the GPF, he's up against the best in the world. At Euros, the competition isn't quite as good. Witness the PCS boosts given to Joubert, Amodio, and Brezina, though. He stacks up and stands out

2. His program actually ticks off the boxes for Program components quite well. Even the resting points are well integrated performance moments.

3. Definitely overscored on Skating Skills.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
1. At the GPF, he's up against the best in the world. At Euros, the competition isn't quite as good. Witness the PCS boosts given to Joubert, Amodio, and Brezina, though. He stacks up and stands out

2. His program actually ticks off the boxes for Program components quite well. Even the resting points are well integrated performance moments.

3. Definitely overscored on Skating Skills.
I don't think point 1 is it. I'd frame it definitely: at the GPF, he went up against the best in the World, won the LP and came close to a medal. He's beaten Chan in Canada. He did two (quad) Salchows and a triple Lutz, albeit not with a blindfold ;) Skate well enough times and the judges will eventually take notice and raise your PCS (and GOEs, too, while they're at it), especially if you are likable and charming. I'm not sure about Amodio, but Joubert and Brezina hadn't skated well in the first half of the season; Joubert specifically only skated an LP once, it was a different program and he'd been sick and was visibly struggling. So it would make sense that if they performed better, their PCS would get better.

Agreed on 2 and 3. Still, he's come such a long way; check out his performance from 2007 Worlds, it's hard to believe it's the same skater.

I vote for Fernandez as Spain's Olympic flagbearer next year.

rocketry

Rinkside
I too wish Joubert hadn't changed his Inception program. I think it makes him look a little different--more thoughtful and cerebral maybe--while matching well with his power. It definitely had "moment" potential and the edit was good and built well. Gladiator shows nothing new and kind of dwarfs him without the costume and exhibition lights. I guess it should look new at this point, but how disappointing. A costume like his exhibition should certainly help some though.

I think Javier is improving his skating skills and posture every competition. His programs aren't exactly memorable to me, but they are ticking the boxes and the jumps are incredible. Hope he keeps working on the spins.

figuristka

Medalist
Thanks for the press conference. Its nice to see their personality off the ice. Fernandez seems so humble and very likeable. Congrats to all the winners.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Javier is shy in reality, looks like at least, one more reason this Lp matches him really well. There is an aura of vulnerability in this Lp,that goes with music and costume and contradicts the super technical content, the 3 quads were amazing, especially the third in the second half was:jaw: When I saw him on ice I couldnt stop thinking he looks like Brian Orser. His coach was at the stands and was living the whole thing! His program is really cleverly designed and the stops he does serve a purpose. It was a thrilling last group. But once his marks were out the competition had ended. He got a standing ovation and a huge support from spanish and not only fans that were in the arena. Opposite us came Mishin team and watched final group, to my surprise they gave standing ovation to Javier too. All the arena did. It was a great performance, I dont know if it looked better than GPF, need to check the videos. In the medal ceremony he looked very touched, it was the first time I hear the spanish anthem live! Amodio on the podium made a bow gesture in front of him, that was cute.

Of course Joubert got the huggest applause when he was announced. I was rooting for him to get a medal, partly because in the Lp I was sitting next to French fans, partly because there was a greek couple next to me that was shouting and also because he had a fantastic sp skate, with standing ovation and lots of girls screaming;) There was a whole section of french fans, we voted them the best organised fans, with hats and banners and cheerleading stuff. His jumps were amazing, when he is on his presence fills the arena but I m not sure about his Lp, I thought it was still Inception until I saw their practice. Honestly I would want him to throw away any music that Yagudin has used, the comparisson in my head was inevitable, and go back to Inception that was a fantastic program. This one looked like fast made. By the way there was a delirium in the gala for Joubert, he skated his Safri Duo sp. Even Amodio taking his shirt off couldnt surpass it.:p

Amodio's sp I thought it was overscored against Javier, but the Lp was better. Strange music and even stranger choreo but somehow he has the presence to support it. When his jumps are clean they have great flow out,but I ve missed Amodio who had skated to Munich music. It feels like ages ago. It looks to me that the sp, lp and the gala have same style and are based on his ability to perform.

Brezina has huge jumps, but I so not like this Lp, same feelings like last year, the music cuts are awful and the costume is annoying. I didnt like him much, he was much better in sp, I guess it is good he won the first medal and he didnt become fourth again. In the practice of gala he looked the most happy. He is a skater that hasnt found his identity for me yet and he doesnt project to the audience at all. I wish Joubert had won this bronze.

Kovtun reminds me so much of Jeremy ABott in the face that my mind was stuck when he skated. His content was very serious but I m not sure how he jumped these quads, his technique is strange. He is still unpolished but I thought that he will easily be sent to Worlds or even Olys over Voronov, Menshov and Arthur. Tarasova by the boards shouting for a male skater, I m living in 2002.:)

Voronov had a great sp but the Lp didnt work, especially since this was all kinds of wrong music for him, R&J. He looks down and doesnt skate large. The music needs another kind of performance. They used this powerful music to cover his lack of power, it didnt work. When he skated Morosov was doing his usual animation by the boards but since Voronov had a bad skate, in KnC he didnt go with him, that made a bad impression to me.

The german fans had drums and were hitting their feet on the ground when german skaters were on, Liebers in men is of my fave skaters and for some reason he skated in the gala too.

Verner got a huge heart with his name on it, big support from the crowd but I dont know what happened to him, everyone of the top skaters seemed to have skated the best except for him. His Lp is lovely once again but I dont know how many seasons he has this skates, since Vancouver? From the first groups, the usual suspects I remember from last year is Ignatenko, Raya, Lucine and Romanenko and Bychenko. But the level drops really alot after the top 5-6. I can hardly appreciate Majorov and Pfeiffer, Mayorov had a bad costume in both programs and his lines are not good, Pfeiffer I havent been able to like him although his sp was great. His last spin always irks me. But after so many years skating I think he got appreciated from the crowd. And he got in top ten, that was crazy. Chaffik was much much better last year, this time I didnt care for his programs at all. And it looks like if the TES is not there, he doeant have much else. Walker made me nostalgic for Lambiel.
And I missed Kevin and even Contesti alot.