2013 Europeans Men's LP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2013 Europeans Men's LP

DancerLily

Rinkside
Javier!! :love::clap::hb: I really love his FS:) and surprisingly, I liked Florent's as well today. Wished a medal for Brian though...

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
.... Chan has lost three of four programs against Fernandez. If Chan wasn't watching out before, I'd be seriously disappointed.

Both Chan and Takahashi do need to take notice, if they haven't already from the GPF where he had the highest FP score.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Javier for winning the first European Figure Skating Title for Spain and also Congrats to Amodio and Michal
for winning Silver and Bronze. Shout out to Brian for a fine effort and placing fourth, not to shabby for the old warrior.

Good Men's competition

eta: Why are we talking about Chan and Takahashi? Heck we might as well start talking about Michelle Kwan's wedding. :biggrin:

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
I wonder why Skate Canada didn't pressure their staff working with foreign skaters as they did before 2010 Olys. Given they never won a men gold it's strange. Or they just tought whatever Chan would do, he'll win anyway.

First of all, Orser is not a "staff" of Skate Canada. Secondly, no such pressure happened prior to 2010 Olympics, Yu Na is the proof of that. Finally, more than just winning, promoting the sport around the world is a more important goal as well as fair play.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I still don't get Javier - great jumps when landed, but overall he clunkers around the ice with his crap posture and mediocre spins. Nice guy and nobody else deserved the gold today, but I'm not getting the love at all.

Amodio - smart thinking, but did he just leave a bunch of points on the table by not utilizing his 8th jumping pass. Not so smart thinking after all.

This. I hope both he and Brian Orser take the next year to focus on basic skating skills (like smooth stroking and yes, posture) and especially spins. He certainly has the raw talent, but it needs to be refined and polished.

Still, great skate and good for him. At least he doesn't get into S&M like Amodio. Uh, I mean Stand & Model.

:)

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I'm very happy for Fernández and Brezina. Those medals are well deserved given their performances from now and the last years. The judges were generous with Javi today, but no doubts about his title. I am also glad about Liebers' comeback after this disastrous short program.

First of all, Orser is not a "staff" of Skate Canada. Secondly, no such pressure happened prior to 2010 Olympics, Yu Na is the proof of that. Finally, more than just winning, promoting the sport around the world is a more important goal as well as fair play.

Fair play within skating ? You might be joking. Or delirious. Specially from big federations such as USFSA, Skate Canada or Russian federation.
As for the word staff, it's a way of saying, canadian coach, if you want to be picky.
And I was talking about men. Not women. Read. Browning clearly said he won't work for anyone outside Canada after 2008 worlds in order to put Chan/Buttle (his status wasn't clear at first) on the podium/wins gold (well, he didn't said it like that, I know you're picky). I have hard time thinking it wasn't because of Skate Canada (but in your take care's world, maybe).

wallylutz

Medalist
This. I hope both he and Brian Orser take the next year to focus on basic skating skills (like smooth stroking and yes, posture) and especially spins. He certainly has the raw talent, but it needs to be refined and polished.

Still, great skate and good for him. At least he doesn't get into S&M like Amodio. Uh, I mean Stand & Model.

:)

Or course all of the above can be improved further, though he has become a lot better in the basic skating skills this year - far smoother already. Against this European competition, he can more than hold his own. It's only when he face the competition outside of Europe that it will be an issue.

gmyers

Record Breaker
His poor tech was amodios biggest problem. Of course a big one is that everyone hates his coach and now him on a very personal level for some reason!

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Javi rocked it! I love this programm, he really knows how to perform it and there is really nothing left to say about his quads - simply amazing. His 4S in the second half of the programm is simply gorgeous :love:
He definitly is a contender for the podium at worlds. Anyway, his PCS here are a little :unsure:-worthy. I wonder how his PCS will be scored at worlds...

Amodio obviously needs to leave Morozov. There are so many amazing things about his skating, I'd love to see him with better programms.
Nice that Brezina finally medals. Congrats! And Joubert sadly is left of the podium, but he looked so much better again after all these problems he had this season.
Kovtun did very well too. That mistake with the 4th combo was really unnecessary, but what the hell. It was a great debut for a talented young man. Wishing him all the best in the future, and that he'll be capable of handling the pressure that comes with being a russian male figure skater (though I still want Gachi back in shape too. gachi + Kovtun would be a nice team for russia :yes: ).

Overall, nice competition. Hopefully the ladies will keep up! :)

wallylutz

Medalist
Fair play within skating ? You might be joking. Or delirious. Specially from big federations such as USFSA, Skate Canada or Russian federation.
As for the word staff, it's a way of saying, canadian coach, if you want to be picky.
And I was talking about men. Not women. Read. Browning clearly said he won't work for anyone outside Canada after 2008 worlds in order to put Chan/Buttle (his status wasn't clear at first) on the podium/wins gold (well, he didn't said it like that, I know you're picky). I have hard time thinking it wasn't because of Skate Canada (but in your take care's world, maybe).

Did you see the USFS asking Virtue/Moir to go home so that D/W can have a better chance of winning the next Worlds / Olympics? Nope. Not just Javier, but Hanyu also trains in Canada and these two are some Chan's most fierce competitors now. It's only the Russian Fed which has this open policy about rejecting foreign students with select exceptions like Amodio whom we all know stands no chance of being on the podium at Sochi barring disasters. Trust me, despite these online forum rumors, not all federations behave like FFSG when it comes to fixing results or bribing officials as in SLC 2002.

Do you see Browning coaching anyone at this level? Nope. He doesn't like coaching, that's his choice. You can speculate you all want, he made it clear he dislikes the CoP framework and therefore can't be an elite coach under such strict rules.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Browning doesn't coach, and he doesn't do a lot of choreography - especially competitve programs - because he is too busy with his ice and tv career (his words).

Buttle/Chan didn't use him for choreography so I am confused at the idea that they play any factor in his deciding to quit.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'm very happy for Fernández and Brezina. Those medals are well deserved given their performances from now and the last years. The judges were generous with Javi today, but no doubts about his title. I am also glad about Liebers' comeback after this disastrous short program.

I agree! It's great to see Brezina so happy, awesome and great for him. Happy and unexpectedly Liebers made the top ten. That's a great accomplishment. Javier Fernández deserved to win, but such a score for a program that wasn't pitch perfect makes one wonder.....

I also don't get the Amodio hate. And we know the judges like Morozov, even though most people here don't understand it. So what is wrong with it, when it seems to work for Amodio. :scratch:

Last edited:

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
Congratulations to all the medalists. I love them all.
It's so good to see Javier with the gold medal. Amazing historical moment.
Overall it was a very enjoyable competition. Pfeifer and Majorov also did very well.
The only sad note of the day was Verner's FS. What is wrong with him?

angelatlantis14

Rinkside
This was a great competition with some amazing programs. Even the guys in the first 2 groups gave it their all.
Javier Fernandez is the deserved winner, and I would have had Brezina and Amodio pretty much in the same place (like they were, points-wise). Brezina had proably the better value in his program, but to me, he just is not a natural performer. Amodio on the other hand does have a number of weaknesses (S&M) but he really connects with the audience and is fun to watch. So, clase call, and probably a matter of personal taste.

Did you see the USFS asking Virtue/Moir to go home so that D/W can have a better chance of winning the next Worlds / Olympics? Nope. Not just Javier, but Hanyu also trains in Canada and these two are some Chan's most fierce competitors now. It's only the Russian Fed which has this open policy about rejecting foreign students with select exceptions like Amodio whom we all know stands no chance of being on the podium at Sochi barring disasters. Trust me, despite these online forum rumors, not all federations behave like FFSG when it comes to fixing results or bribing officials as in SLC 2002.

Do you see Browning coaching anyone at this level? Nope. He doesn't like coaching, that's his choice. You can speculate you all want, he made it clear he dislikes the CoP framework and therefore can't be an elite coach under such strict rules.

So if you READ (again) I was wondering at first why Skate Canada didn't act like that before 2010 Olys this time around thus letting Orser be the coach of both Hanyu and Fernandez, both direct threat to Chan's Olys Gold quest. I'm talking about MEN.
Why bringing dance in the mix ? Even if, what's the point ? Is Spillband Canadian ? Zoueva is but she was born in Russia and has not that much to do with Skate Canada except for V/M.

For your information Browning was a choreographer before 2008 worlds (maybe he still is but I didn't heard about his current works). He gave Joubert's best programs ever and suddenly stopped when somebody from Canada was close (at least had very good chances) to win gold at the Olys (remember all the Chan's hype before Vancouver ? And at first we didn't know what would do Buttle). This is what mean. Whether you like or not it's true and for me, it's clear it came from Skate Canada.

And so you're really delirious given your : "Trust me, despite these online forum rumors, not all federations behave like FFSG when it comes to fixing results or bribing officials as in SLC 2002." Are you mad ? So FFSG is the only federation in FS history trying to fix results ? First as for SLC, nothing sure, Guaillaguet maybe told LeGougne to put the russians first, this doesn't means she put them first because of this, she explained very well (as well as COP later) why the russians were better and how Cinquanta manipulated her (plus mental pressure before, within and after the competition from Stapleford & Lindgren). Then she and Guaillaguet were banned, how easy to give two "evil" people to the press and public to get buried alive. I don't trust a judgement made by ISU's head. It would had been more trustable if it was a civil court. But I think this topic was already well debated.

Second, you might be blind thinking Skate Canada had that kind of results without politicking. They managed to get two golds at last year worlds even though everybody in the building thought the runners up had won. Osmond won Skate Canada 2012 with veeeeery inflated PCS, were does it comes from ? JSF ? Haha. At 2010 Skate Canada Chan won with with four falls (just bringing this one up because I know it's always a joy to see all the outraged reply!). That's just the most recent exemples. Stay in your own world if you'd like.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Many congrats to medalists!, especially to Javi!!! :) Well deserved Champion, the very first one by a Spanish in the history. :clap:
Overall, such a great Mens competition! I thoroughly enjoyed all top six finishers. :yes:

Onto the Ladies now. Go Adelina, Caro,Liza aaaand Valentina! :rock:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Happy for everyone including Joubert. On the positive side there is still a glimmer of hope for him; on the other side is he like the little kid following the in kid - it isn't going to happen; he has had his day. I am not sure which one applies. Fernadez did it; it would appear Chan and Takahashi should give up right now. Chan does not have the goods what I don't know besides Goe can Chan and Tak make up some points with spins, and food work - probably not because Fernandez still gets the levels. Chan needs to add another quad probably He should have been competing the other quad or another axel or something. I think Fernandez could not only be medal but arguably is the frontrunner right now. I do wonder though if his pcs were a little or lto generous. I think an argument could be made he should be one whole step behind Tak and chan. Nice for Brezina and that both Russian men did Russia proud - I expected one to implode and that didn't happen considering their past reputations. For some reason Amodio is like the other French skaters Joubert and Candeloero - posers. I am not sure why the Frenchmen tend to be known for their personalities more than skating ie. that really tall awkward skater begins with a T I think. Laurnet T???? maybe.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Congrats for Javi and Spain's first gold Euros in men !
Kovtun did great minus the invlaid umps, Buaynova and Maxim needs CoP seminar and lessons :laugh: