Rochette Contemplates Retirement | Golden Skate

Rochette Contemplates Retirement

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Honestly it sounds like she's already made up her mind and it's just when and if to do the formality of announcing that she's contemplating.

mousepotato

On the Ice
Her heart doesn't sound into it. Time is really short for her to start training and if she doesn't have a coach it will be even harder. I think she did just announce it; sort of. :disapp:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
January was the deadline she had previously set for herself. Like you, Tonichelle, I think she's already made up her mind. She had her fun Olympic experience in Turin and a powerfully personal one in Vancouver.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
January was the deadline she had previously set for herself. Like you, Tonichelle, I think she's already made up her mind. She had her fun Olympic experience in Turin and a powerfully personal one in Vancouver.

agreed. what more does she have need to accomplish in that part of sport?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Joannie's heartwrenching Bronze medal skate at the Vancouver Olympics will live on forever in every Canadian's heart. She has earned the right to "hang up her skates." Only I hope it's only her competitive skates, I am looking forward to seeing Joannie once again in Vancouver when the Stars on Ice tour returns in March. She is a class act.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With the Canadians Ladies having all this young talent coming up there is no need for her to come back now.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm wondering if Osmond's success has given her the green light to "move on". I'm sure the decision is on her own terms and not a situation like Lambiel's, but Osmond doing well probably helps. Rochette has had an illustrious career. It's a shame she didn't skate after the Olympics because she had a real shot at winning Worlds the past two years. Although there's not telling if she would have slumped like the other skaters, she did skate well at the Japan Open in 2011, and still seemed to have most of her jumping ability. Plus a bronze at the Olympics all but guaranteed she would be given enough PCS to make the top 5.

But she did amazing things for Canadian women's skating ... a lot of the youngsters in Seguin/Daleman look up to her. Wish her the best. :)

Antilles

Medalist
For those who don't read French, Joannie plans to skate in shows for at least the next five years, even if she does quit competitive skating now.

Ravensque

On the Ice
I'm happy to hear she intends to continue in shows. She shines, and it gives her the opportunity to make these her wealth building years, before she moves on to something else. From what I've read, she still has it technically, but I think she will be happy to let the young ones continue where she left off in the competitive skating, and I can't say I blame her. She did her job and did it well.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

She says that she will make a decision on Sochi after the World Championships. I'm wondering if she's hoping for Osmond to get two spots, and should that happen she'll return for a likely shot at the Olympic team. If Osmond places out of the top 10, it might be iffier for her. But of course that's just me speculating. Not gonna hold my breath, but good to see she isn't totally saying no.