I feel sorry for Mirai Nagasu | Page 7 | Golden Skate

I feel sorry for Mirai Nagasu

MasterB

Final Flight
In my opinion, Mirai has nothing to be upset about. Her hard work showed throughout the season. She put out steady performances. She does need to work on finishing her jumps and at this point in her career I don't know how she can make that happen. Last year she looked really good in practice and then bomb in competition. This year she look good too but, with high-pressure competition the body stiffens and all your short-comings surface. Plus, the ladies at this event were skating lights out. And lets review that, who skated lights out? Answer........ Not the top 3 (who had the most to lose).

Layfan

Record Breaker
I will say, though, that her reaction was a whole lot easier to watch than when Johnny had his melt down in 2007.

In a strange way it was easier for me to watch Mirai bury her head in her hands and react honestly. I don't know how to explain it but although I was devastated for her, in terms of her reaction it was less awkward to watch than someone trying to hold it in while making jokes and shrugging their shoulders and saying hi to their friends watching on tv and making heart shapes in the air (can that be banned, please?) while everyone knows they can't wait to get out of their and breakdown.

sarahspins

Rinkside
I will say, though, that her reaction was a whole lot easier to watch than when Johnny had his melt down in 2007.

I agree, and I think because it was so honest and it wasn't over the top.. you could really see how disappointed she was and you (as a viewer) could completely sympathize with her.. she wasn't going to medal with those performances and I think she knew it but dropping all the way to 7th was a bit harsh.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agree, and I think because it was so honest and it wasn't over the top.. you could really see how disappointed she was and you (as a viewer) could completely sympathize with her.. she wasn't going to medal with those performances and I think she knew it but dropping all the way to 7th was a bit harsh.

she also most likely felt like complete and utter crap. could you imagine trying to skate a 4+ minute program and dealing with the flu?! I still remember how sick and devastated Lysacek looked after his SP in Turin. Sure both cases they were most likely upset with how they skated - but to feel sick on top of that? I'd be crying, too.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
she also most likely felt like complete and utter crap. could you imagine trying to skate a 4+ minute program and dealing with the flu?! I still remember how sick and devastated Lysacek looked after his SP in Turin. Sure both cases they were most likely upset with how they skated - but to feel sick on top of that? I'd be crying, too.

No kidding. I cannot imagine doing ANYTHING let alone skate a 4 minute program that requires you to rotate several times. I thought Mirai did a good job toughing it out on Thursday. As for Saturday night, I suppose she reached her limitations.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
2 minutes is a heck of a lot better than 4 to keep the sickies at bay... but blech... I get sick just thinking about it. poor kid.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
2 minutes is a heck of a lot better than 4 to keep the sickies at bay... but blech... I get sick just thinking about it. poor kid.

Me too... oh wait I'm already sick. BLEH. Watched Nationals from my coach with a blanket wrapped around me with the chills. :(

I'm a lot better today but still get into coughing and sniffling fits ever few hours.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Me too... oh wait I'm already sick. BLEH. Watched Nationals from my coach with a blanket wrapped around me with the chills. :(

I'm a lot better today but still get into coughing and sniffling fits ever few hours.

No bueno, I'm worried that I'm coming down with the crud again... feeling run down and cold all the time...

ForeverFish

Medalist

Oh goodness, I'm so sorry. I was recently down with a sinus infection (over Christmas break, of all times) and literally could not move from my bed for two days. Even turning over made my head feel like a watermelon on the verge of explosion.

As for the flu, I'm fortunate enough to have scooted under the recent outbreak. Haven't had it in three or four years, thankfully. It still makes me nauseous just thinking about it--I can't imagine where Mirai pulled her strength to land any triples, much less even stay upright for more than a few seconds.

Hope you feel better, Mrs. P!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh goodness, I'm so sorry. I was recently down with a sinus infection (over Christmas break, of all times) and literally could not move from my bed for two days. Even turning over made my head feel like a watermelon on the verge of explosion.

As for the flu, I'm fortunate enough to have scooted under the recent outbreak. Haven't had it in three or four years, thankfully. It still makes me nauseous just thinking about it--I can't imagine where Mirai pulled her strength to land any triples, much less even stay upright for more than a few seconds.

Hope you feel better, Mrs. P!

Thanks! It could be worse. It's not the flu. I been able to walk for a few minutes at a time while I was sick and I went to work today with no problem (doing nothing over the weekend helped). But my body is driving me nuts. One moment I'll feel fine and be like "I'm all better" then a few hours later my nose is all stuffed up and I feel like my head weighs 900 pounds.

So yeah, being sick on my couch made me feel more sympathetic toward Mirai. And Ashley for dealing with the effects of her injury/food sickness.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Thanks! It could be worse. It's not the flu. I been able to walk for a few minutes at a time while I was sick and I went to work today with no problem (doing nothing over the weekend helped). But my body is driving me nuts. One moment I'll feel fine and be like "I'm all better" then a few hours later my nose is all stuffed up and I feel like my head weighs 900 pounds.

So yeah, being sick on my couch made me feel more sympathetic toward Mirai. And Ashley for dealing with the effects of her injury/food sickness.

Try sweating it out? That seems to help me when I have the chills.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I had a rather nasty flu right after Canadian Nationals. Luckily it was a 24 hr. thing but I've felt lowish ever since. What has surprised me the most is the feeling of dehydration. I've cut back on the caffeine and am having soup daily. So hard for skaters.

heyang

Record Breaker
The viruses are definitely going around this winter. IN addition to flu, our area has been by 2 different stomach viruses. Some people are saying flu is being over-reported as people confuse their stomach viruses with the flu. Regardelss, sick is sick. As said before, spinning and jumping for 4 minutes when sick can't be a pleasant experience. Mirai was probably 'flat' expressioned because she was trying not to look sick.

As related to her SP performance, Scott did say that skating for 2 minutes when sick is a lot easier than skating 4 minutes while sick.

Overall it's still hard to say how Mirai would've done. When she's been in podium position after the short program as a favorite, she's had melt downs during the free because of going for the 'win', instead of thinking about skating her best. When she won her Nationals, she was one off several potential winners - she wasn't the only favorite.

As difficult as next season will be (high stress trying to get on the OLympic team), I'm really hoping that all of our US skaters can correct their mojos and skate their best.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I can only imagine what it would be like to compete with the flu. she did her best; I wonder how she would have done if she felt better. I guess we will never know but she has next year still.

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
I do not feel sorry for Mirai Nagasu AT ALL.

She has had a long career in skating. She has traveled, had sponsors, competed, won titles and accolades and even went to the Olympics where she skated the best of her life. She also has the benefits of always living as a competitive athlete.

Her life has been, on the surface, full of wonderful experiences. Just because it may be winding down is not a reason to feel sorry for her.

volk

Final Flight

She has had a long career in skating. She has traveled, had sponsors, competed, won titles and accolades and even went to the Olympics where she skated the best of her life. She also has the benefits of always living as a competitive athlete.

Her life has been, on the surface, full of wonderful experiences. Just because it may be winding down is not a reason to feel sorry for her.

She has not lived up to her potential. And she can't do it no matter how hard she tries. We don't know if she has a long career ahead of her since the depth of US ladies is improving. She may have harder time making US team in the future.

tulosai

Record Breaker

I think you do not really get why those of us who feel bad for Mirai feel bad for her. It's not because she's accomplished nothing with her skating/her life. If that were the case none of us would knwo who she was to feel sorry for her. Similarly, I don't think any of us are really like 'poor Mirai she has truly known struggle'.

Rather, we feel bad for her for one or a combination of the following reasons (and I'm even leaving out the 'she hasn't lived up to her potential reason' as, like you say and I acknowledge, she has accomplished a lot in her career and it is a bit silly to feel bad even if she doesn't accomplish more):

-She quite obviously trained hard this season and has made huge improvements from last season. This didn't help her at all at Nationals. Those of us who think on some level that hard work should be rewarded feel a bit bad about this.
-One reason she didn't preform as well as she could at Nationals may well have been the flu. Some of us feel sorry for her that she couldn't compete while healthy.
-She was clearly upset with her scores and herself. Some of us felt natural empathy at her reaction alone, because it is hard to see another human being be sad. Now of course, it isn't like her mother had just died or she has been starving in Kenya, but her level of upset was something I think a lot of us can relate to.
-Some people feel bad at how they perceive her to have been treated by USFSA.

loveskating

Rinkside
People are making a mountain out of perception. Ashley was thinking more about her own skate not what mirai was doing.

As someone who is always judged by their facial expressions ( and those that judge are constantly wrong ) I feel for Ashley. She's getting nitpicked to death for no real reason.
I do too.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She quite obviously trained hard this season and has made huge improvements from last season. This didn't help her at all at Nationals. Those of us who think on some level that hard work should be rewarded feel a bit bad about this.

I think this has to be a bit disheartening for Mirai. As a fan, it's not clear to me what the right path forward is for her. When I look at her programs from 2010 her skating, and particularly her jumps, had a certain spark that I find lacking now. I don't know if it can be recaptured, especially if this is due to changes in her body.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think this has to be a bit disheartening for Mirai. As a fan, it's not clear to me what the right path forward is for her. When I look at her programs from 2010 her skating, and particularly her jumps, had a certain spark that I find lacking now. I don't know if it can be recaptured, especially if this is due to changes in her body.

Yeah this sums up my feelings, as a fan.:cry:

Well, I'm with her no matter what she decides to do and certainly if she decides to keep at it. In the last few years only two USA lady skaters have really given me performances I love to revisit and she is one of them. Maybe she hasn't won a world medal but she has contributed greatly to my enjoyment of figure skating in the post-Michelle/Sasha era. Many figure skating fans surely feel the same way so that's quite an accomplishment already even if it might take her a long time to see it that way.