2013 US Nationals Senior Men LP | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Men LP

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
So what are the chances that we could end up with only 1 spot for Sochi?

Sigh, Jeremy. I've rooted for you but I don't know what else can be done at this point. He has so much talent and could have been one of the best, if not the best, in the world, but I just don't know anymore. The plus side is that the U.S has a lot of talented young men that I think will be real contenders after Sochi.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Max brought it, and kicked the door open when it counted. He should not be faulted for skating at the limits of his abilities. The rest of them didn't, though Miner and Farris were pretty close to doing so. Max will go to Worlds as the US Champ, and let the chips fall where they may.

At this point, I'd send Ross Miner to Worlds also, as Jeremy just is too inconsistent and hasn't made a case that he'd place any better than Ross.

ITA. As much as I like Jeremy, he didn't skate well enough to go to Worlds. I predict Ross will be the highest-placing finisher for the US men at Worlds, but he and Max Aaron will not place well enough to get the US 3 spots for the Olympics. 2 spots should be fine, though.

Dots

Final Flight
No way! Josh is placed below Jeremy. :popcorn:

Jeremy is such a beautiful skater, but this is just wrong...

Congrats to Max and Ross... The judges did the right thing for once. :clap:

macy

Record Breaker
I thought josh should have been 2nd or 3rd....Ross and Max are going to get eaten up at worlds. So upset for Jeremy...honestly a coaching change might do him good.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jeremy is beyond making coaching changes. He's almost 28 now. The problem is all in his head.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
This happened before in 2011, so it's not actually that unexpected.

I know, and Aaron was actually cleaner than Bradley was. But Bradley actually was a performer. Aaron landed everything effectively and backloaded the bananas out of this program, but this is a program that will score 6s internationally for it's choreography and transitions, not eights.

So why are we complaining that a favored skater with a bad skate was not held up when we are in another thread crucifying the skater and system for winning with a flawwed skate. Why do the ladies have to be perfect and not the men to be champion?

By "favored skater with a bad skate" do you mean Jeremy Abbott? Because nobody is saying that Jeremy should have been held up. I think it's valid to question Max Aaron's PCS without implying that another skater should have been held up.

Exactly. The guy that was perfect was perfect to his abilities, but his abilities aren't the best. The overscoring alone on transitions and choreography handed this title to him, and when you add in the other PCS (three components above eight?) it's ridiculous.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually don't understand why USFSA didn't place Farris in front of Abbott if they were going to relegate him to 3rd place. If they were going to close the coffin, they may as well have nailed it shut while they were at it. I mean, I'm not seeing where Miner or Abbott outperformed what Farris did from a technical standpoint. Josh was better technically than both of them and I don't think Miner out-skated Farris on a PCS level either. :shuffle:

Last edited:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I found Jeremy's program to be excruciatingly slow and boring, it needed some music changes, it is fine to have slow music but not through an entire program.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Jeremy is beyond making coaching changes. He's almost 28 now. The problem is all in his head.

Agreed. No need to go coach-shopping. If he can't deal with his competition demons by now, no coach or sports psychologist is going to cure him.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Enjoyed the skates I saw ... very happy for Ross! and I enjoyed Max Aaron, to me it's not like his program is completely empty except for the jumps -- he has some fun choreo moments, etc.

Enjoyed Farris and would've loved to have seen him third!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Reading the protocols is making my left eyebrow raise itself higher and higher.

Can you be more specific?

ETA: I don't agree with the judges that Aaron's PCS should be higher than Farris's or Rippon's, or Brown's. That is definitely very wrong.

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
I actually don't understand why USFSA didn't place Farris in front of Abbott if they were going to relegate him to 3rd place. If they were going to close the coffin, they may as well have nailed it shut while they were at it. I mean, I'm not seeing where Miner or Abbott outperformed what Farris did from a technical standpoint. Josh was better technically than both of them and I don't think Miner out-skated Farris on a PCS level either. :shuffle:

Since when the panel of judges = USFSA???:rolleye:

Jeremy's problem is the quad. He doesn't have one. By opening with a certain fall he throws the whole program off. Leave off the quad, J., and instead concentrate on not doubling your triples.

I though Max Aaron had the best short program, too -- the most entertaining, anyway.