judging system | Golden Skate

judging system

brenlynn

On the Ice
just wondering... what judging system will they be using for this competition?

anyone know?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
It was my understanding that the COP was only going to be used for the Grand Prix competitions this year, and the old system was going to be used for 4CCs as well as Europeans and Worlds, due to the fact that the COP is still in the "experimental stage". Officially, anyway.

brenlynn

On the Ice
thanks jonny... that's what i was hoping they'd be using because the COP is still a little confusing to me :laugh:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
TELL me about it.... First time I saw all those weird numbers pop up, I was like, "Oh, my God, what the ---- is that????" I don't think it's being used consistently, either. As time went on, some pretty hideously executed programs got some pretty high scores, which I thought was NOT supposed to be happening. And I wish someone would explain to me why well-executed, very nicely done and choregraphed Ladies programs get about 20 points less on Program Components (or whatever the "artistic impression" portion is called now) than very shaky men's efforts. Yeah, the men may skate 30 seconds longer, but 30 seconds shouldn't equal 20 points, especially if they skate like crap. I understand the technical part being higher due to the triple axels and quads -- but aren't the miscellaneous elements pretty much the same regardless of who is doing them, male or female? And I can't even imagine how they can judge Dance under this system.

brenlynn

On the Ice
the CoP is quite interesting, and unfortunetly it looks like they may just keep it :\ honestly i totally prefer the 6.0 scale much better, but i believe i am in a minority.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I like it better, too, overall, but then again I'm a traditionalist and it took me 2 years to stop muttering over the fact that they took the compolsury figures away!! I think the 6.0 system actually makes things more exciting for the people in the arena; I noticed that under the COP, when scores come up you don't hear much of a crowd reaction to the scores, usually, whereas with the 6.0 you hear reaction, good or bad, to scores. (I mean, come on, booing the judges for giving someone a 5.2 when they deserved a 5.8 is a skating tradition!! :) -- which is probably one of the reasons why they went with something as convoluted as the COP so none of Cinquatta's precious little judges would have to account for anything ever again and make his life easier) Plus I think it takes something away from the skaters. I can't imagine someone jumping around in Kiss N Cry saying "OOH, I got 72.10!! I got 72.10!! Just doesn't have the same ring to it as "I got a 6! I got a 6!" :)

mpal2

Final Flight
I agree that the emotional level will take some time to equal the 6.0

I appreciate the fact the Terry Gannon is trying to throw out some benchmark numbers in COP during the GP. He would say things like "Skater x is just below the 70 point mark and getting higher than that seems to be the magic number for those who have medaled."

Maybe if he keeps throwing out those benchmark numbers for us, they'll start to mean something before we see the actual rankings of 1st through last. :confused:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I am totally for the COP... it's going to work... it makes sense to me... I can't explain how it works... but it's easier for me to understand who wins and what they have to do in order to win

I just miss hearing/reading "6.0"

However if they decide to use it I'm all for it! :D

Antilles

Medalist
I think COP will amke more snese once we get some real "world records"i n ther to compare against. it's just going to take time. I don't really understand the scores either, but jut because I don't understand doesn't make it an inferior system.