Alexei Yagudin | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Alexei Yagudin

tureis

On the Ice
There are very very few skaters I've been a really passionate fan of, and every now and then someone will come along and then go with time, but he will always be the first. God I still miss him so much!

And this will always be the most epic, determined and passionate skate of all time for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMdz_3RtTuE I still remember every single move and expression, screaming in front of the TV watching it live as if it was yesterday. Can't believe it's been almost 16 years! :shocked:

liv

Record Breaker
I remember that program and performance as well. I was such a huge Yagudin fan during that Russian rivalry. That was a program squeaked out with purely guts and determination and sheer will if there ever was one. The crowd was ready to eat it all up and then some. It was, and is, awesome.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I still miss him so much!
:) He is still alive. He even keeps skating, he learned to be more relaxed and it is very beautiful too. He is still a "nuclear energy station".

In 2002 I was a teenager, I liked them both: Alexei and Evgeni. Later... I nearly forgot about Yagudin. In 2011 I watched "Bolero" because of Yagudin, but somehow I didn't think, that I can go to the internet and watch something else. I didn't watch the "Ice Ages", because our opinion about this show wasn't good. So... I started to watch Yagudin's videos in 2015 (autumn). :)

I also was impressed, that people from "Alexei Yagudin Discussion Group" (who don't know Russian) were trying to watch even the "Ice Ages". I didn't even understand, that AYDG was not alive, because some comments were posted in 2015. I was impressed by the comments "we miss him" and "translate, please" on Youtube.

I have a problem now. When I try to watch somebody else (even the best skaters), soon I start to think: "yet the body can be more musical". I see, that some of them can do things which Yagudin never was able to do, but... the body can be more musical! :)
And... yes, his energy.

I also really respect him as a person. Of course, I read all the awful stories about him. I was seeking for the info, which was possible to find. Now I trust him.

15 years since his Olympics. :)
And Tarasova's 70th anniversary. :)

Last edited:

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Yagudin was dancing in the Bolshoi theatre (2017)

The dancing competition for kids and juniors exists for 7 years. Now it will be called the National "Rite of Spring" Prize. Yagudin and other actors participated in the play together with kids which won the prizes last year, and gave the kids their prizes.
The video of the play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myqi0IugTP0&t=6m30s
Yagudin is Ivan, Ivan's wife-to-be is called Vasilisa. Vasilisa would like to have many sons, Ivan would like to have many-many-many daughters as beautiful as Vasilisa. Kids show what it would be like: many-many sons and daughters.
The Witch spirits away Vasilisa. The Witch wants Ivan to marry her daughter Stella, but Stella doesn't want to be a witch and dreams to marry another man whose name is Stepan. Ivan looks for Vasilisa, meets the Fox, the Wolf and the Bear. The Witch stops the time, but Stella and Stepan make the Spring come.
Ivan marries Vasilisa, Stella and Stepan get married too.

Last edited:

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Alexei Nikolaevich Mishin and Alexei Yagudin are included to the Figure Skating Hall of Fame in Colorado

Why didn't they invite Alexei Nikolaevich and Alexei Konstantinovich, so that these two could say: "We don't care!!!"? What a lovely event it could be!

:laugh15: alexei.yagudin: Today I was included to the Figure Skating Hall of Fame, which is located in Colorado Springs (USA, Colorado). Of course, being included to the Hall of Fame is an honour for me, I am happy. I want to thank all those who voted for me. Yet....... actually, I don't care!!! I try to think not about the past, but about the present, in which the close-knit family is my main victory, my Hall of Fame. Two charming daughters. This is the coolest thing!!!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSwE8xPBiCu/

:) This article informs, that Alexei Nikolaevich also doesn't think, that it is important.
https://sport.mail.ru/news/figure-skating/29386810/

It is said, that now 3 Russian coaches are there. Moskvina is there since 2005, Tarasova is there since 2008.

Last edited:

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
About his name

Yes, his name has many variants.
And... oh, the difference is important! :)

"Lyosha" is a neutral variant (to speak with a friend or with a child).

Lyoshechka, Lyoshen'ka ("n" is soft here)
names to speak with love.
But such names can be very rude in some phrases like: "Yes, you do everything for Lyoshechka and nothing for me!" (= you do everything for this baby, but he's nothing and deserves nothing). One who uses "Lyoshechka" in such a phrase is more angry than one who says "Lyosha".
Sometimes Lyosha's friends are mocking, when they say "Lyoshen'ka". Not very rude. But often they speak with love indeed. Even Averbukh.

Lyoshka
very often! That's the way rude boys call each other: Lyoshka and Vovka, if their names are Lyosha and Vova. But you also can say "Lyoshka" with love, if... you'd like not to smooth down his hair - but to ruffle them, would like to smack him on the shoulder; if you like him being at liberty, being brave, being a boy... That's the way Tarasova calls Yagudin. And his friends do.

Lyokha
oh, this name means, that Lyosha is big and strong! And nobody cares, how big he is. This variant is also rude. So... our boys like this name. And some young ladies also love to say "Lyokha".

Alyosha
nobody can explain the reason, but this name sounds more tender and childish than Lyosha. Yagudin is even shy, when he hears it. Indeed! And people seek for another variant:
- OK. Lyosha.
- OK. Alyokha! (rude: Alyokha is big!)
You can hear this at 11.15 on the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKYYUN4MUIo&t=11m15s
"Alyoshka" is more rude than "Alyosha", and Yagudin says "Alyoshka" about himself.

Some people think, that this is not enough, and they say: Lyoka, Alexeika, Alyonya, Lyoshik, Lyolik, Alexeyushka... "Alexeika" (more rude) and "Alexeyushka" (caressing) sound like names from old books or old songs. "Lyoka" and "Alyonya" are strange, I'd say. "Lyoshik" is also caressing. (We say "yozhik" about a little hedgehog, for example.)

(I write "Lyosha", because we read "Lyosha" or "Solovyov", even if we write "Lesha", "Soloviev")

The name "Alexei" comes from Greece, and it means: "protector (defender)". Actually... most of our traditional names are not Russian.

As for the rude names... our girls also have such variants of their names. But it doesn't happen often, that anybody will say "Tan'ka" on camera. Because Tatiana is a lady. But if we say "Tan'ka" with love, it means... that she is young, she is funny, she is strong and... she is a good comrade!
There is "Tanyukha" to say, that Tatiana is strong.
"Tanyusha" and "Tanechka" are tender names.
"Tanyushka" is tender and rude. "Tanya" is a neutral short variant.

A full Russian name includes a patronymic name.
Yagudin says "Tatiana Anatolievna", when he speaks about his coach Tarasova. That's the way a good boy should be speaking. We have nothing like "missis" - but we have a patronymic name. The second part means, that Tarasova's father is Anatoliy.
Even talking with Putin nobody says "Mr.President" - everybody starts with "Vladimir Vladimirovich".

Yagudin's full name is Alexei Konstantinovich. But... who cares?
Oh, yeah: Korea! They wrote "Alexei Konstantinovich Yagudin" in the announcements. "What a respect to Lyosha in Korea!" - Russians were laughing.
Sometimes we like to call our children their full names: Elizaveta Alexeyevna. It's funny! And it is a pleasure for the father to hear this: he must be a great man, if his little children are so great.
But... once Yagudin was on a show, where his daughter was called Elizaveta Petrovna. Is her father Peter? Alexei was surprised:
- I didn't know...

"Michel Alexeyevna" sounds strange for Russians. Not a traditional name. But it sounds beautiful. It's nice, that her parents are brave - and do call Michel her full name: Michel Alexeyevna.
And "Mishel'ka". Other Russians add: "Mishutka", "Mishelechka". We need this! We can do this with any name. We want to tell our love.

Last edited:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
This was fun to read, thank you very much!

The reasons why people say Lyoshechka or Lyoshen'ka are really interesting, because in my language we say it exactly because of this two different reasons too (even the ending is -ka), and I'm not talking about a Slavic language here ;)

Do Russian people really laugh when someone says the full name?
Then why do people say Vladimir Vladimirovich, when they talk about the President of Russia? I heard it saying many times.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Do Russian people really laugh when someone says the full name? Then why do people say Vladimir Vladimirovich, when they talk about the President of Russia? I heard it saying many times.
The respect to Vladimir Vladimirovich, to Tatiana Anatolievna Tarasova, to Alexei Nikolayevich Mishin is a usual thing. That is not funny.
If Yagudin was a teacher, he would be Alexei Konstantinovich for his students and even for their parents, for grandmas, even if he was younger than he is. Yet in reality even TV-hosts often say "Lyosha" to him. Russian announcements of a show always say just "Alexei Yagudin" or "Ilia Kulik".
:) So only Korea is VERY respectful to Lyosha. (And his long patronymic name was written without any mistake!) :)

Only thanks to Allochka Mikheyeva the country knows now, that Maxim Marinin is Maxim Victorovich. When Mikheyeva and Yagudin were going to be the hosts of the "Ice Age" together, somebody warned Yagudin, that he will turn into Alexei Konstantinovich. This joke means: "You won't be so young anymore!"

Last edited:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
The respect to Vladimir Vladimirovich, to Tatiana Anatolievna Tarasova, to Alexei Nikolayevich Mishin is a usual thing. That is not funny.
If Yagudin was a teacher, he would be Alexei Konstantinovich for his students and even for their parents, for grandmas, even if he was younger than he is. Yet in reality even TV-hosts often say "Lyosha" to him. Russian announcements of a show always say just "Alexei Yagudin" or "Ilia Kulik".
:) So only Korea is VERY respectful to Lyosha. (And his long patronymic name was written without any mistake!) :)

Only thanks to Allochka Mikheyeva the country knows now, that Maxim Marinin is Maxim Viktorovich. When Mikheyeva and Yagudin were going to be the hosts of the "Ice Age" together, somebody warned Yagudin, that he will turn into Alexei Konstantinovich. This joke means: "You won't be so young anymore!"

Now I understand it. Very interesting, thank you for your useful answer :thank:

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Tatiana Tarasova came to their performance in St. Petersburg (21 April), and Averbukh's skaters congratulated Tarasova once again. I like this new Yagudin's video much more than the videos from Moscow (with the skating to the same Kirkorov's song). Here Lyosha looks so happy, that every his movement is extremely beautiful :clapper:

http://radikal.ru/video/hs0IE5MH13n "About love"

(Maybe his mom and grandma came too?.. They live in Petersburg. He adores to speak about all the beautiful women which surround him.)

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
:) It is difficult to find an adult man who is able to be so happy
https://vk.com/photo-102236674_456240676
Tanya Totmianina has learned to be happy, his friends are happy. It's really beautiful!

I like this collection of unearthly smiles (scroll down):
http://friendsonice.gallery.ru/watch?a=1T-gJPf

The funny truth about these pics is that they talk not about some wonderful things, they talk about exercises for all the people. About this (you can scroll down):
http://gallery.ru/watch?a=1T-gJRa

He needs to be rude, of course. I don't know what people would do to this creature, if he wasn't rude. :)