2013 Worlds predictions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds predictions

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I do agree that while the singles are super exciting, the pairs competition this year is really boring: not just so many pairs were either injured, or split; none of the remaining teams has been in their top shape; plus, who are going to win is more predictable than the singles. I would rather see more teams have the potential to be on the podium.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Men

1 Hanyu
2 Fernandez
3 Chan/Takahashi

Ladies

1 Yuna
2 Mao
3 Osmond

Ice Dance

1 Virtue/Moir - Worlds lock
2 Davis/White
3 Pechalat/Bourzat

Pairs

1 Volosozhar/Trankov
2 Savchenko/Szolkowy
3 Dhamel/Radford - Worlds lock

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Ladies:

1/2 Yuna or Mao, Most likely Yuna first but I would be really happy if Mao win. She worked so hard and is on a ascending trajectory. She deserves to get a boost:) Then Yuna would be really motivated to add some transitions to her programs.

3. Caro or one of the Russian babies/ladies, hopefully Liz---anyone think she's a bit like Jennifer Lawrence, the new Oscar girl?

Zijun Li top ten----She IS marvelous! Should have higher PCS than quite a few girls ranked higher IMO

Men

1 Javier Fernandez
2 Patrick Chan
3 Hanyu

Pair:

V/T----I would really hate it if they get ridiculous high marks with terrible falls and errors
S/S----their programs and costumes are really not to my taste, not that is of any importance, just saying:) I love their Out of Africa program and hopefully they can have two very nice programs.
P/T or D/R or MT/M of Canada, given P/T's physical condition, I don't think they can get better than 3rd. But you never know, P/T are big event skaters, and they carry the weight of earning three spots for China, hopefully Sui/Han can deliver too.

I'm hoping the Italian and French pairs do well. Also Yuko Yamaguchi and her partner, they really got low-balled this year.

Dance

1 D/W
2 V/M
3 P/B

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Does Li really have such an issue with URs? I thought it was only occasionally, and on her 3f-3t. I don't think of her as a chronic under-rotator of the Mirai or Kanako variety. She sure was fabulous at 4CC though, even the Eurosport commentators couldn't spot gushing about her!

I doubt that too. I don't have the impression that Li has UR issue. I checked her results of this season, and it turned out that she has absolutely NO UR in any of her SPs! In the LP, at NHK, she had only one < for the 2Lo at the end of a 3-jump combo, for a program with 6 clean triples and two 2As; She tried a 7 triples LP at her senior debut at COC, but had 3< unfortunately; at 4CC, she had a clean 3F+3t and 2A+3T, but got called < for her single jump later for 3F, 2A, again, for a 7 triple and 2As program. This one I actually remember very well and many people feel the ur call was hash. Here is link for her 4CC LP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hf1kkYMRCs,

the Japanese commentator definite said "beautiful "after the 3F, and very excitedly called out the 2A. And the audience gave her a partial standing ovation.

and here is the Eurosport version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSt1SgO0MIM

and I totally agree with the: commentators' gush:) and the commentator seemed to believe she got wronged during one of the previous competition.

If that's no beautiful skating, I don't know what is. Her expression was lovely and precious, her skating is delight and light like a feather and those jumps were just beautiful!
I really hope that the judges do their job in the World, as the commentators said here:)

lyton

Rinkside
Ladies:
1 Asada
2 Kim
3 Kostner

Men:
1 Chan
2 Takahashi
3 Hanyu

9 Song

Pairs:
1 V/T
2 S/S
3 P/T

Dance:
1 V/M
2 D/W

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Pairs:

Gold- Volosozhar & Trankov- I still think next years Olympics could be close between them and S/S but for this years Worlds I would be stunned if they dont win. They have too much momentum right now.

Silver- Savchenko & Szolkowy

Bronze- Duhamel & Radford or Barazova & Larionov

Men:

Gold- Daisuke Takahashi
Silver- Javier Fernandez
Bronze- Patrick Chan

Just have a feeling Hanyu will bomb a bit here.

Dance:

Gold- Davis & White
Silver- Virtue & Moir
Bronze- Bobrova & Soloviev

Ladies:

Gold- Kim
Silver- Kostner
Bronze- Asada

figuristka

Medalist
Men:
Gold: Hanyu
Silver: Chan
Bronze: Takahashi
4th Fernandez
5th Amodio
6th Reynolds
7th Brezina
8th Joubert
9th Aaron
10th Miner

Ladies:
Gold: Mao Asada
Silver: Yuna Kim
Bronze: Kostner
4th Suzuki
5th Wagner
6th sotnikova
7th Osmond
8th Liza
9th Gold
10th kanako

Dance:
Gold:V/M
Silver:D/W
Bronze:Bobrova & Soloviev
4th Pechalat/Bourzat (not enough time after injury)
5th Weaver/Poje
6th ILINYKH / KATSALAPOV

Pairs:
V/T
S/S
D/R or MT/M

deedee1

Record Breaker
My dream podium:
1. Daisuke 2. Javier 3. Brian ;)
1. Akiko 2. Mao 3. Yuna :)
1. Qing/Jian 2. Aliona/Robin 3. Yuko/Sasha :yes:
1. Meryl/Charlie 2. Nathalie/Fabian 3. Anna/Luca :yay:

But to be realistic:
1-2. Hanyu+Fernandez; whichever skates cleaner takes the gold 3: Chan, or Takahashi (only if he hits 3 'rotated' quads, regardless with a fall or no falls)
1. Asada 2. Kim 3. Sotnikova
1. Volosozhar/Trankov 2. Savchenko/Szolkowy 3. Bazarova/Larionov
1. Davis/White 2. Virtue/Moir 3. Bobrova/Soloviev

:eek:hwell:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Ladies:
1. Mao
2. Kostner
3. Kim
4. Suzuki
5. Sotnikova
6. Liza
7. Gold
8. Murakami
9. Wagner
10. Osmond

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Men

1 Hanyu
2 Fernandez
3 Chan/Takahashi

Ladies

1 Yuna
2 Mao
3 Osmond

Ice Dance

1 Virtue/Moir - Worlds lock
2 Davis/White
3 Pechalat/Bourzat

Pairs

1 Volosozhar/Trankov
2 Savchenko/Szolkowy
3 Dhamel/Radford - Worlds lock

Is this prediction based on home nation patriotism? Looks like it but what do I know. Not trying to pick a fight but Osmond doesn't have all her jumps, didn't do that well at juniors, is in her first year at seniors. Is really still developing. And Duhamel and Radford have yet to really podium big over the other strong pairs teams.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Is this prediction based on home nation patriotism? Looks like it but what do I know. Not trying to pick a fight but Osmond doesn't have all her jumps, didn't do that well at juniors, is in her first year at seniors. Is really still developing. And Duhamel and Radford have yet to really podium big over the other strong pairs teams.

there will be a Canadian Judge in Pairs so if they skate clean the will get huge inflation, V/M will win especially as nearing the Olympics and on home ice, I don't see any chance of D/W to beat them no matter how they skate close to the Olympics Season, Osmond if she skates clean can score a 70-73 PCS range rivaling Mao and Carolina's, these two aren't really that stable either in big competitions, so if others falter Osmond is assured of bronze or even the silver medal, its not like its unheared of, Gachinski medaled on home ground and first Worlds

vera01

Final Flight
I don't think judges would give 70~73 for Osmond's PCS. That means she has to receive around 9 for her SS, which won't be happening.

Osmond isn't good enough to receive 70~73 PCS anyway. 70~73 PCS means Olympic Yuna level, and even if Osmond's PCS is going to be inflated, she'd receive a PCS around 63~66.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I don't think judges would give 70~73 for Osmond's PCS. That means she has to receive around 9 for her SS, which won't be happening.

Osmond isn't good enough to receive 70~73 PCS anyway. 70~73 PCS means Olympic Yuna level, and even if Osmond's PCS is going to be inflated, she'd receive a PCS around 63~66.

that was a Grand Prix , even then they were not shy of giving her the big marks
we are talking about Worlds here on home ice, Osmond's inflated PCS will be somewhere 70-73 range

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There will be no Canadian judge on the DANCE and LADIES panels.

DANCE: AZE AUS FIN FRA GER GBR HUN LTU RUS SVK UKR USA UZB

There are 5 former SSRs on this list, and except for USA and AUS, all the rest are European judges. IMO Bobrova/Soloviev will benefit most from such a panel. No lock for either V/M or D/W, they'll have to skate their best and hope for the best.

LADIES: BUL DEN EST FIN GEO GER GBR JPN ROU RSA ESP SUI TUR

All European except for Japan and South Africa. IMO Osmond isn't going to get 70 PCS score from this bunch, but Kostner's prospects seem rosier.

Sorry, but home ice doesn't guarantee high PCS scores. Asada, Suzuki and Murakami were on home ice at 4CC, and they received in the FS respectively 67.76 (8.43 SS), 64.33 (8.14 SS), and 61.16 (7.68 SS).

On home ice at SC, Osmond received 59.61 (7.32 SS) in the FS. Nowhere near 70, and that was with a Canadian judge on the panel and a Canadian Technical Assistant on the tech team.

Kostner, Kim and Asada may approach or exceed the 70 PCS mark in the FS, because these skaters regularly receive 8s in their PCS scores. They are all World Champions, after all, one is an Olympic champion, and one an Olympic silver medalist. Osmond doesn't have the resume or accomplishments to be in the same league as these ladies.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
On home ice at SC, Osmond received 59.61 (7.32 SS) in the FS. Nowhere near 70, and that was with a Canadian judge on the panel and a Canadian Technical Assistant on the tech team.

Osmond obviously didn't do well in FS yet was awarded a 59 PCS higher than Suzuki
Suzuki isn't the No.1 Japanese either, the venue where its held it will not be shocking if Osmond skates both clean programs
( a new SB) will have an almost same PCS with Mao and Carolina, the judges could also give in with the crowd and given

I would not be surprised if Osmond gets the bronze medal.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Still don't get all the hype about Osmond. Used to think she is the kind of person who can outperform her best in competitions, but looks like the more competitions she attends, the more she suffers from nerves, which means she would be lucky to be the top 6.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The CROWD doesn't give the marks, the JUDGES do.

Osmond has never skated both a clean SP and FS in the same international event---in fact she's never skated a clean FS internationally EVER. She seems able to skate clean in both programs only when she's skating against her own countrymen and has no competition (Challenge); she didn't even skate a clean FS at Canadian Nationals. At 4CC, faced with competition from the Japanese and US skaters, she was spooked and skated tentatively without her usual attack; she fell in both programs and her PCS in the FS was 55.44. At Worlds the competition will be even stiffer.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
sky fly really is sticking out one's neck; I just don't see it though. I have no idea unless sky fly is trying to jinx Osmond. Something seems amiss. So illogical to assume such extraordinnary marks. Might as well predict Ka nd S will win gold which is probably more possible than Osmond medalling.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It has been suggested that sky fly is actually an Osmond hater. Could be, and maybe he/she is trying to jinx Osmond by hyping her so hard. BUT too often, ill wishes rebound on the wisher, and that person's favorite may be the one getting jinxed. Skate Gods are vigilant and unforgiving!!!!!

I have nothing against Osmond, in fact I think she is a promising skater who may achieve great things in the future. But I'm also a realist: she isn't soup just yet.