Max Aaron the new Elvis Stojko?? | Golden Skate

Max Aaron the new Elvis Stojko??

I guess we will have to wait and see if Max wins seven national championships, three world championships, and two Olympic medals. ;)

I guess we will have to wait and see if Max wins seven national championships, three world championships, and two Olympic medals. ;)

And one of the Olympic medals whilst injured so much, he won't be able to walk off the ice on his own. ;P

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ My goodness! Give Max a chance! He certainly has time to develop his artistry (and I don't feel he's devoid of it, either).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I thought Keegan was Stojko 2.0? I mean, don't some people call him "Alaskan Elvis"? Max has a similar build but to me, Keegan is more Stojko-esque. Max is more like KVDP, but in time, he can maybe become more like a Joubert.

Icey

Record Breaker
Max's pcs scores at some international events have been on par with those of Jason Brown.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
What a horrible insult to Aaron. As artistically and musically dead as Aaron is, he's still miles ahead of Stojko in his basic skating, footwork and spins due to the fact that Aaron trains and competes under the IJS. Please, if Stojko had to compete under the modern system, he'd have run screaming and crying off to bumper car racing or whatever it is he does now. Also, Aaron has never made the kind of sexist, homophobic remarks Stojko repeatedly makes. So Aaron's better than Stojko as a person, if Stojko can be considered a person.

I just looked at one of Aaron's performances from this season and he frantically scraped a lot of tiny cross-overs in order to generate speed. It looked like a Benny Hill video or something.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think the insult is to Elvis if anything. Max does not have the persona or the consistent raw power of Elvis. His costumes are flat; he is a jumper but does not have the power and excitement or charisma of Elvis - yet. Max has not shown the it factor consistently. Was he really on the radar until nats? It probably doesn't help that even his name is flat (two first names) Nothing against him but he will have to earn his accolades and it will take more than one great nationals.

LRK

Record Breaker
Goodness, what a thread!

Will it ever be determined - the crucial question (drumroll) - Who Has Been Most Insulted?!?

Will we ever know?! Ah, the suspense is well-nigh unbearable! I'll keep a sharp look at this thread to see what develops!

(This wasn't what I expected to find when I clicked on this thread, to be honest... )

noskates

Record Breaker
I think it's difficult to compare someone from the 6.0 era to the current judging criteria. But I do agree that there is a similarity. I never, ever enjoyed Elvis' skating. I'm a diehard Kurt Browning fan and loved the lyricism of his skating and the musicality and the personality on the ice AND the skating skills. Elvis had a great record but I missed Kurt's style of skating. I can appreciate Aaron's jumping ability but I dont' like his style of skating - and it IS very much like Elvis. Pure athleticism and not much else. I didn't see one bit of personality in his program. Whoever said - give him time to learn the rest of it ............uhhhhh, Elvis never did! I saw him on one of those foo foo Pandora shows this weekend and he still doesn't have much style to his skating. Raw talent, yes! But personality is more than finger-snapping and pointing at the crowd!!!!! Max has the same raw talent! So it comes down to whether or not you like that style of skating. As for comparing him to Jason Brown - please! Apples and oranges. Not to mention the fact that Max is at least 2 years older than Jason. Just watch Jason in 2 years.

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
When I first saw Max skate, not just jump or stand around back stage, I really thought he looked a lot like Brian Joubert in his skating style. My next impression of him was that he looked similar to Elvis. So to me he skates like Joubert, but looks like Elvis.

Elvis Joubert.

noidont

Final Flight
I think Max Aaron looks like a bigger, clunkier version of Amodio.
I'll still take Aaron over Jason Brown any day though. It's men's skating and frankly, Max skates like a total dude...