Best Ladies jumper(s) | Golden Skate

Best Ladies jumper(s)

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Who do you think is the best ladies jumper competing at the moment and who have been the best jumpers in history in your opinion and why?
I think that, at the moment, for me the ranking is:
1) Courtney Hicks=Elizaveta Tuktamysheva : now Courtney has improved the edge of her lutz and she has HUGE jumps, their height always strikes me, she has all the triples and she has also attempted a 4S, but Liza has a better technique in lutz and loop even if her flip is not as good as Courteny's, for me almost a lip.
2) Elena Radionova: she has all the triples, including the 3-3s 3Lo+3T, 3Lz+3T and 3F+1Lo+3S, even if the height of her jumps is not as good as Liza's or courtney's for me.
3) Gracie Gold: her jumps are as good as the others', but she has a lip and what she needs is consistency (one example: she landed her 3F+3T just two times, SD and CoR, out of five attempts: SD, US International Classics, SC, CoR and Nationals)
4) Agnes Zawadzki: she doesn't have the loop at the moment but she is able to do it (she landed it with a -0.5 GOE at the 2011 WJC SP), but what strikes me is the height of her 3T+3T and 3Lz, that's jumping!)
I don't now if Yu-Na deserves to be here: she doesn't have the loop (the last time that she actually landed it cleanily in competition was 2007) and her height is not as incredible as the others', but a 5th place for her should be correct.

The best jumpers in history:
1) Midori Ito: no doubts, she's still unmatched!
2) Miki Ando, I think: 4S, 3Lz+3Lo, 3F+3Lo, 3T+3T, she had all the most difficult jumps and combos and the consistency of her 3Lz in the late years was amazing
3) Mao Asada: everything she has accomplished puts Mao here, I think: her 3As' consistency has been beautiful, but she has a lot of problems with "e" and UR jumps
4) Tonya Harding: unfortunately, she didn't have consistency, but when she landed her jumps they were superbe!

What do you think?

vera01

Final Flight
1) Yu-na Kim:Ability to add 3T to 3Lz, 3F, and 2A without having "e" problems. She is also very consistent:)
2) Elizaveta Tuktamysheva:Liza's jumps have an amazing quality. If she can jump higher, she'll be one of the best jumpers.
3) Gracie Gold:She is a powerful jumper, although she is not "graceful". She also has "e" problems with her flip, and she makes mistakes with other jumps if she makes a mistake with her flip(for ex:her SP at US Nationals). She isn't consistent with her Lo. Otherwise, she is a wonderful jumper with a bright future.
4) Elena Radionova:She can jump difficult jumps. Although she sometimes have to face with lip problems, I think she can fix it. I'm not sure if she'll be more or less powerful by the time she's a senior. However, she is consistent and if she becomes a powerful jumper like Gracie, she'll be amazing!
5) Agnes Zawadzki:She has wonderful 3Lz and has 3T+3T. She may not be consistent with her FS but I think she has one of the best 3Lz!

Krislite

Medalist
What's the criteria? Height? Speed? Flow? Variety of jumps and combos? Difficulty? Consistency? etc.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
When they are on, the best ladies jumpers are: Gold, Tuktamysheva, Radionova, Lipnitskaia (for difficulty and consistency, not quality), and Kim (to discount her on her loop is rather unfair, as she can do them, but chooses not to as they hurt her). Right now, I'd actually say Kim and Gold have the best quality jumps.

Serafima Sakhamovich has yet to show consistency but when she skates her best (which she has) has the hardest jump layout (other than maybe Radionova).

Arakawa and Slutskaya are also skaters in the past who are excellent jumpers when they're on. Kostner was also a fantastic jumper a few years ago. And of course Mao at her peak (2006-ish) was brilliant with her 3-3 and 3A (but flutzed, too, and doesn't get much flow out of her jumps). Ando was also an excellent jumper at her peak.

Though she sorely lacked in other categories I thought Sebestyen was one of the highest jumpers out there. Harding was great too, with a huge triple lutz.

Kwan's jumps were good, but not excellent, but her consistency was very good. As was Yamaguchi's (who is arguably a better jumper than Kwan).

Bonaly's jumps had great spring and power, but terrible entries.

Of course, Ito will be regarded as the best jumper of all time. Not even Mao could match her jumping prowess. I love how she fully rotates her jumps by getting massive height. There is absolutely no question with her.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Of course, Ito will be regarded as the best jumper of all time. Not even Mao could match her jumping prowess. I love how she fully rotates her jumps by getting massive height. There is absolutely no question with her.

Midori Ito travelled to Junior Worlds in Kitchener as an official of the Japanese Federation. We often saw her with in the hallways with her young charges, and I was astonished at what a tiny woman she is. On the ice she seemed larger than life, and her jumps just exploded off the ice. It didn't seem possible that so much strength and power could reside in such a small frame.

skatel80

On the Ice
Midori Ito will always be in a league of her own :) I still watch videos of her with my mouth hanging open.
Mao at her best is an incredible jumper! her soft landings are to die for, the 3a in 4cc 2011 was beautiful!
The quality of yunas jumps is undeniable even if I have never been a massive fan, my only problem is the landing position, It always irks me how she just kind of lands a stunning 3/3 then kind of half hits a landing position :eek:hwell:
Tuktamysheva has some of the cleanest jump technique I have ever seen! she is so efficient in her jumping, thats Mishin for you :)
Gold is a phenomenal jumper aswell, her 3lutz/3toe at us nats was the best i have ever seen from a lady, I love how she finishes her rotations while she is still in the air, wow
Watching courtney hicks jumping is fun, her jumps are explosive!:eek:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Greatest Jumpers

Midori Ito
Tonya Harding
Surya Bonaly - high but a bit dirty in landings

Famous Jumpers
Miki Ando, Irina Slutskaya, Mao Asada - though not anymore

Current Jumpers:
Elizaveta Tukatamysheva - high and clean jumps and very nice technique, lutz to die for
Gracie Gold - the most effortless jumps, she just powers through no preparation needed
Yuna Kim - very good jumps in the air
Agnes Zawadzki - huge spring on her jumps but the landing them is a different story, lol
Adelina Sotnikova - huge jumps but bad technique, flutzer, terrible flip technique etc.

potential good jumpers:
Courtney Hicks - high but dirty jumps
Serafima Sakhanovich - huge jumps but needs to fix bent knees
Elena Radionova - huge jumps minus her Flip

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Gold is a phenomenal jumper aswell, her 3lutz/3toe at us nats was the best i have ever seen from a lady, I love how she finishes her rotations while she is still in the air, wow

I was thinking that too! Arguably even better than any of Yu Na's! I love how she legitimately rotates her jumps over and across the ice.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who do you think is the best ladies jumper competing at the moment and who have been the best jumpers in history in your opinion and why?
I think that, at the moment, for me the ranking is:
1) Courtney Hicks=Elizaveta Tuktamysheva : now Courtney has improved the edge of her lutz and she has HUGE jumps, their height always strikes me, she has all the triples and she has also attempted a 4S, but Liza has a better technique in lutz and loop even if her flip is not as good as Courteny's, for me almost a lip.
2) Elena Radionova: she has all the triples, including the 3-3s 3Lo+3T, 3Lz+3T and 3F+1Lo+3S, even if the height of her jumps is not as good as Liza's or courtney's for me.
3) Gracie Gold: her jumps are as good as the others', but she has a lip and what she needs is consistency (one example: she landed her 3F+3T just two times, SD and CoR, out of five attempts: SD, US International Classics, SC, CoR and Nationals)
4) Agnes Zawadzki: she doesn't have the loop at the moment but she is able to do it (she landed it with a -0.5 GOE at the 2011 WJC SP), but what strikes me is the height of her 3T+3T and 3Lz, that's jumping!)
I don't now if Yu-Na deserves to be here: she doesn't have the loop (the last time that she actually landed it cleanily in competition was 2007) and her height is not as incredible as the others', but a 5th place for her should be correct.

The best jumpers in history:
1) Midori Ito: no doubts, she's still unmatched!
2) Miki Ando, I think: 4S, 3Lz+3Lo, 3F+3Lo, 3T+3T, she had all the most difficult jumps and combos and the consistency of her 3Lz in the late years was amazing
3) Mao Asada: everything she has accomplished puts Mao here, I think: her 3As' consistency has been beautiful, but she has a lot of problems with "e" and UR jumps
4) Tonya Harding: unfortunately, she didn't have consistency, but when she landed her jumps they were superbe!

What do you think?

1. Midori Ito
2. Yu Na Kim

The rest are far behind.

ForeverFish

Medalist
1. Midori Ito
2. Yu Na Kim

The rest are far behind.

Agree to disagree. I think that Gold jumps better than all of the Russian girls and Kim--her 3-3 at Nationals covered more ice than I thought physically possible. Ito, of course, surpasses them all.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agree to disagree. I think that Gold jumps better than all of the Russian girls and Kim--her 3-3 at Nationals covered more ice than I thought physically possible. Ito, of course, surpasses them all.

When Gracie jumps a difficult 3-3 as beautifully and consistently as Yu Na has since she first came on the scene around six years ago, then I will agree with you.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
When Gracie jumps a difficult 3-3 as beautifully and consistently as Yu Na has since she first came on the scene around six years ago, then I will agree with you.

When Yuna consistenly jumps 3loop, then I will agree with you.
Otherwise, she's just good 3lutz and 3toe jumper.

Her flip isn't consistent, by the way.
Her sal isn't that good.

We're talking overall best jumpers here.

Krislite

Medalist
When Yuna consistenly jumps 3loop, then I will agree with you.
Otherwise, she's just good 3lutz and 3toe jumper.

Her flip isn't consistent, by the way.
Her sal isn't that good.

We're talking overall best jumpers here.

She was near 100% with the flip before the olympic season. Then it dropped to 50/50. This year, though, she's 100%, more than even her lutz or salchow.

Consistency should be adjusted for frequency when evaluating best jumper. Yuna has landed the greatest number of ISU ratified 3/3s among the ladies, particularly difficult ones in major competitions. That counts for something. She's not "just a great 3Lutz or toe jumper."

FlattFan

Match Penalty
She was near 100% with the flip before the olympic season. Then it dropped to 50/50. This year, though, she's 100%, more than even her lutz or salchow.

Consistency should be adjusted for frequency when evaluating best jumper. Yuna has landed the greatest number of ISU ratified 3/3s among the ladies, particularly difficult ones in major competitions. That counts for something. She's not "just a great 3Lutz or toe jumper."

Obviously it was directly toward jenaj whose logic was this, Gracie didn't do 3lutz-3toe consistently for 6 years.
Well, Kim didn't do loop for 6 years or whatever. Kim wasn't consistent with a few other jumps for a few years.

Kim is obviously one of the best jumpers, but so are others. They might not be that consistent, but they are great jumpers. Miss Harding is a great jumper, but boys, she liked cigs and booze more than she liked to jump lutz, ok? Does that make her any less than a great jumper?

Just look at their perfectly excecuted jumps, and see if they are a good jumper or not. After all, how do you decide what's consistent? 80%? 70%? Someone who only skated for 2 years? Someone who skated 10 years? Someone who still can jump years after they retire like Arakawa?

Compare them at their best. Not 6 years average or 10 times average.

FSGMT

Record Breaker

I don't like Yu-Na's salchow A LOT: for me, her technique in lutz AND flip is the best in the world (yes, even better than Liza's if we consider both the lutz and the flip), and the quality of her 3x+3T is superbe, but her salchow is not an excellent jump: I don't like the fact that she often loses most of her speed going out of it and that she doesn't finish the rotation in the air, but it's often pretty close to UR to me; however, I would put Yu-Na in 5th place in my ranking because of the height: what strikes me the most, wtaching the Ladies jump, is when they have great height, and Yu-Na's jumps are beautiful and very well-done but not that kind of :jaw: that I personally love...

Krislite

Medalist
Obviously it was directly toward jenaj whose logic was this, Gracie didn't do 3lutz-3toe consistently for 6 years.
Well, Kim didn't do loop for 6 years or whatever. Kim wasn't consistent with a few other jumps for a few years.

Kim is obviously one of the best jumpers, but so are others. They might not be that consistent, but they are great jumpers. Miss Harding is a great jumper, but boys, she liked cigs and booze more than she liked to jump lutz, ok? Does that make her any less than a great jumper?

Just look at their perfectly excecuted jumps, and see if they are a good jumper or not. After all, how do you decide what's consistent? 80%? 70%? Someone who only skated for 2 years? Someone who skated 10 years? Someone who still can jump years after they retire like Arakawa?

Well, that's rather switching up standards. If we're only counting executed jumps and not considering falls, pops, doubles and omissions, then even Yuna's loop count since she actually has done them in past competitions both junior and senior, and she has done 7-triple programs with 3/3's as well.

I think in the evaluation of best jumpER one must take into account consistency and frequency. Now, if we're just evaluating best ladies' JUMPS period, then of course, it's a different criteria.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Well--no surprise--I disagree. If it's at someone's best, no matter how inconsistent or how short the career, then of course Tonya Harding should be right up there with Midori. But I would never put her among the very best because she was so inconsistent. She would do a triple axel and then later pop a double axel in the same program. It is true that Yu Na doesn't do the loop. I did not take that into account. But her 3-3s and her lutzes are textbook and she rarely misses. The reason I still put Yu Na second to Midori is because her longevity with her difficult 3-3s shows that she really had the jump. Who else can say that? Tara Lipinski? I think her career was too short to know for sure. Shizuka's 3-3s were probably under-rotated and she didn't always do them. I think Yu Na's consistency with her 3-3s more than makes up for the fact that she doesn't do the loop.

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Who else can say that? Tara Lipinski? I think her career was too short to know for sure. Shizuka's 3-3s were probably under-rotated and she didn't always do them. I think Yu Na's consistency with her 3-3s more than makes up for the fact that she doesn't do the loop.
Tara had an horrible technique, and Shizuka's 3-3s were often UR, yes...

rkuang

Rinkside
This is tricky for me. To me, being able to do the jumps and doing them consistently aren't always synonymous. The obvious names we all know, like Kim, Mao, Ito, Gold, and the Russians. However, I personally have a fondness for skaters who are consistent, like Kwan. Some of the most technically brilliant jumpers today have not performed consistently this season, and that diminishes their abilities in my eyes. Gracie, to me, has such pure technique, but if I'm comparing her one great performance to, say, Irina's career, I can't say she's better. Yet. If I had the time and dedication, I'd go over each skater's performance at a major competition, what triples and combinations they attempted, and how many were successful, and the difficulty of these jumps.

Last edited: