US Nationals Exhibition Gala Broadcast | Golden Skate

US Nationals Exhibition Gala Broadcast

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
NBC will broadcast the Exhibition Gala today 1-3 pm Eastern Standard Time. :)

I was not sure where to post this info. Mods feel free to move.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For now, in The Edge, to be sure everyone knows to check their TV schedule. Later, I'll put it in US Nationals folder.

Thanks for the reminder!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You really didn't miss much. I know the skaters are tired after the competition, and the lighting is different, and they're already focusing on 4CC and WC (or they're coming to grips that their competitive season is over)... but really, it was a series of fairly uninspiring routines. I like skating a lot, but I was bored.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I usually dont do Galas unless they are at Colorado Springs cause the Broadmoor club does a great job putting out its own skaters, but today I couldnt even watch it today cause my local affilicate in Spokane decided to put on golf, wheel of fortune, and a kids program.
Doesnt seem like I missed much. At events, Howard and I usually take that time to go to a restaurant and have a last supper together.
You really didn't miss much. I know the skaters are tired after the competition, and the lighting is different, and they're already focusing on 4CC and WC (or they're coming to grips that their competitive season is over)... but really, it was a series of fairly uninspiring routines. I like skating a lot, but I was bored.

noskates

Record Breaker

Boooooooooooooooooooring. Although the highlight for me was Jeremy Abbott's exhibition. He really is the cream of our crop. I feel doubly bad he isn't going to Worlds. Haven't changed my opinion about Max Aaron except was turned off by his "sleeve tattoos!" The Shibutanis are always entertaining and their program was cute. Gracie Gold has soooooooooooooooooo much potential. What can I say about Charlie and Meryl other than they're fabulous. The rest of the show was a snoozer.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I was only able to catch the last 4 routines - Castelli & Shnapir, Max Aaron, Ashley Wagner, & Davis & White

Castelli & Shnapir did their "I'm Feeling Good" routine with the really fabulous head banger with Marissa doing flying arm motions while being swung around by the feet. They've had this number for quite a while, but it's always thrilling.

Aaron skated, wearing a white T Shirt with sleeve tattoos (or else he really has sleeve tattoos) to "Black Betty." I believe he has had this exhibition for a while. He must have been tired or something, because most of the jumps were not well landed-I've lost track of the schedule, but was the men's just before the gala? If so I quite understand. He had some interaction or other with a fan in the audience.

I've got to admit, I don't remember what Ashley skated to at all. :slink:

Meryl & Charlie skated to "Melt Into You," a brand new number for them. (And thank goodness, because I was way beyond tired of their Adele number.) They have been working on the "acting on ice" part of ice dance this year, and this exhibition definitely is part of that effort. You could see the newness in spots, but I thought it was fabulous too. :)

Trewyn

Medalist

I assume it was 'Tightrope', which was her exhibition on the GP? Awesome dress, but I can't get into exhibition programs to generic pop music. Ashley's done Miley Cyrus, J Lo, Christina Aguilera... Pretty forgettable programs, what a contrast to her competitive programs. I'm still waiting for her to come up with an exhibition that really suits her. But I guess choreographing gala numbers isn't high on her priority list.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley skated to "Your Song" (not Elton John's version). I liked Ross' "Luck Be a Lady Tonight" and Mark & Lindsay's "Strangers in the Night" (Mark looked cute as a nerd, and I guess Lindsay was playing the part of a bobby-soxer). Also really liked Castelli & Shnapir's "Feelin' Good" and The Shibs "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better."

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner skated to Ellie Goulding's cover of "Your Song", a wonderfully simple and direct arrangement that draws out more emotional power than the original. And I thought Ashley did a suitably emotional job with it. And I have to defend Ms. Wagner's JLo exhibition number. I loved it. Not because I love the song or the choreography or her performances of it, I merely enjoyed all three, but because every time she did it in a gala, it was a huge welcome relief from the nonstop onslaught of dour Adele ballads. After 2 hours of Adele moaning, it's nice to see someone bring the party.

Her usual gala number this season is Janelle Monáe's "Tightrope", which I think is one of the greatest pop songs released in the last few years. Alas, she doesn't skate fast enough to match its rapid tempo.

That's what Galas always are at competitions. I would never waste my time attending one nowadays.

I saw just the last four or five numbers also, and I'm really sorry I missed Jeremy. I was not at all impressed by Max Aaron, but maybe it was because he was tired. I sure hope those tattoos are erasable.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw just the last four or five numbers also, and I'm really sorry I missed Jeremy. I was not at all impressed by Max Aaron, but maybe it was because he was tired. I sure hope those tattoos are erasable.

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aEIrdkgHac

Summary: It was completely different! He didn't skate in an overly emotive fashion to a dreary pop solo almost guaranteed to put the viewer to sleep. He skated to Pink Floyd and rocked the house! The jumps had amazing flow! People were really in to it! This highly energetic program had the crowd leapiing to it's feet in a prolonged standing ovation.

Just kidding.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ha! my local NBC affiliate shifted the Gala to Sunday at 3 pm! My VCRs still work but my DVD burner is broke...I will record it and see if there is anthing to see.
I hope it is less depressing than Downton Abbey or Les Mis!:)

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I watched the whole thing & liked Agnes' opening number very much. Abbott & Miner had mistakes in their programs too so don't criticize Max unless you saw them missing jumps & are prepared to complain about them. All in all, I tho't it was a better Nat'ls exhibition than we've seen in years. Oh loved Vincent Zhou, 12 years old & landing triples all over the ice.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I was only able to catch the last 4 routines - Castelli & Shnapir, Max Aaron, Ashley Wagner, & Davis & White

Castelli & Shnapir did their "I'm Feeling Good" routine with the really fabulous head banger with Marissa doing flying arm motions while being swung around by the feet. They've had this number for quite a while, but it's always thrilling.

Aaron skated, wearing a white T Shirt with sleeve tattoos (or else he really has sleeve tattoos) to "Black Betty." I believe he has had this exhibition for a while. He must have been tired or something, because most of the jumps were not well landed-I've lost track of the schedule, but was the men's just before the gala? If so I quite understand. He had some interaction or other with a fan in the audience.

Meryl & Charlie skated to "Melt Into You," a brand new number for them. (And thank goodness, because I was way beyond tired of their Adele number.) They have been working on the "acting on ice" part of ice dance this year, and this exhibition definitely is part of that effort. You could see the newness in spots, but I thought it was fabulous too. :)

The tattoo sleeves were fake lol. I saw them up close.

I actually thought it was good. It was really entertaining compared to the Disson shows anyway. I can barely watch those anymore.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Saw it today. I have to say I have seen worse, but after a week's comp, I am still glad I didnt attend. Thumbs up to Vincent, the Shibs, Courtney, and Lindsay Davis who was skating "under the weather" in Mark's words.....when I first saw those tatoos it gave me quite a start! :laugh:
The tattoo sleeves were fake lol. I saw them up close.

I actually thought it was good. It was really entertaining compared to the Disson shows anyway. I can barely watch those anymore.

Eislauf

On the Ice

While the skaters were understandably tired during the exhibition gala, it was still fun (espec for those of us who don't have ice network) to see all the top skaters simply...skate. And of course the jumps, spins and footwork were all dialed down but unlike a Disson show, they weren't all skating to music by the same artist, ie Barry Manilow or Jewel (yawn) and didn't have to participate in cheesy routines on the ice with their entire families, most of whom can't skate. The Disson shows are almost unwatchable...overly-sentimental, schmaltz-fests.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Saw it today. I have to say I have seen worse, but after a week's comp, I am still glad I didnt attend. Thumbs up to Vincent, the Shibs, Courtney, and Lindsay Davis who was skating "under the weather" in Mark's words.....when I first saw those tatoos it gave me quite a start! :laugh:

Oh, Lindsay was sick.. that explains her glum mood when they talked to her and Mark backstage.