Whatever happened to Mira Leung? | Golden Skate

Whatever happened to Mira Leung?

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
What has Mira Leung been up to since her days as a competitor? And what is Mother Leung doing to occupy herself without Mira to coach (and Joanne McLeod to argue with)? She was one of ladies skating's more unusual semi-stars. Not unlike her onetime rink-mate Emanuel Sandhu, she followed the beat of her own drummer. Some called her the Elvis Stojko of the ladies event, but she turned out to be a bit more complicated than Elvis.

A major issue raised about Mira in the press was how controlling her mother was. This is a common theme in the sport, but Mrs. Leung caused unusually large headaches for coach Joanne McLeod. From 2006-2009, Mira's career involved getting fired yearly by her coach. Her skating itself was interesting for her jumps, particularly the bizarre take offs that Dick Button seemed to find special. She had abundant athletic talent.

2008 Canadian nationals SP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35xm5q6Ssto

2008 Skate America FS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqYyS8BENFM

2009 Canadian nationals SP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_aL594Apmc

She is young for a retired skater (if she is officially retired), and I wouldn't be surprised if she is in school or now figuring out her next move. It's good to see she was as of 2010 continuing to capitalize on her name recognition in Canada. Mira was in a 2010 fashion benefit for heart disease.

http://thehearttruth.ca/fashion-show/2010-2/mira-leung-wearing-patrice-soku/

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
OP's post sounds vaguely familiar....*cough.*

I've no idea what Mira Leung is up to these days, but I've always wondered if all the bizarre, borderline-surreal stories I've heard about Mama Leung were indeed true.

Ouch.

Icey

Record Breaker
Strange that someone can completely fall off the map as she has. Maybe, Skate Canada could help. She will only be 23 in March. Could she be planning a comeback, inspired by Sandhu? I recall she was a gifted pianist.

russell30

Final Flight
Strange that someone can completely fall off the map as she has. Maybe, Skate Canada could help. She will only be 23 in March. Could she be planning a comeback, inspired by Sandhu? I recall she was a gifted pianist.

Mira, we assume has moved on with her life and retired from the Sport, she has not skated competitively since 2009-2010 Season and the sport has changed quite a bit since then. Not sure Skate Canada can do much - if it's in terms of funding. Kaetlyn Osmond is the main focus for them at the minute - helping and nurturing and there are some young talent coming through.

I will always remember her 2006 Olympic performances, such a great competition for her, she should be so proud for which she achieved for herself and Canada, not everyone can say they are an Olympian and Mira put out 2 strong performances to boot! :biggrin:

Yes I heard too she was a gifted pianist, and I love her fashion catwalk!

Not sure on what she is doing now - maybe someone can throw some light on it, not sure if she is still involved with skating one way or another teaching at local rink or giving advice?. Maybe IFS can do an article on her :)

Last edited:

bibi24

Final Flight
During the 90's I was skating at the same rink as Mira Leung in Richmond BC's Minoru center connaught club. When I first saw her she was about 5 years old, wearing a helmet and do doubles & a half jumps, with her mother instructing by the boards (they were at the public sections). Few years later we went to sectionals in Kamloops while she was still a 'tiny bean'. Her performance earned a great standing ovation! Never thought back then she would grow up to be such a big and fine lady!

Last edited:

momskate

Rinkside
The crazy mother ruined her career. However, seems that Mira did figure skating for her mother's sake anyway.