Will Asada have the 3A for Worlds? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Will Asada have the 3A for Worlds?

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Laughing Man said:
Mao had worked on her 3A along with her deceased mother since childhood. That jump means alot to her. She lost her mother and that will never change, but she wanted once again to achieve the jump she had lost after Vancouver Olys. It had been their dream for Mao to win Olys with a 3A. I have no idea whether that will ever happen, but Mao does not want to give up no matter what.

There's also the chance of a 8-triple FS. If Mao could achieve that she'd write history again and she'd be one of the main contenders for the OGM in Sochi, arguably the main contender if Yuna continues to avoid the Loop due to back problems and Carolina doesn't up the technical ante in SP + FS.
But no matter if she wins the OGM or not, I really hope she's proud of herself now already :yes:

miki88

Medalist
Why is Mao so hung up on the triple axel? It seems like because of her obsession with that jump she's let some of her other triple jumps become shaky and she still can't do a 3-3 combo like most of the other ladies are doing.

:confused: Are most ladies successfully landing 3-3 combos consistently in their programs? Besides Yuna Kim, I can't think of any other senior lady skater at the moment.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At the 4CC FS, Mao URd her 3A, her 3F+3Lo and her 2A+3T, even in her own country. She got the green light on the 3A in the SP, but to some eyes, that was a bit of a gift.

Mao was one success for four tries at 4CC. At least she only got <. She won't be skating at home for Worlds and some of those < could turn into <<. Pretty risky.

Mao had worked on her 3A along with her deceased mother since childhood. That jump means alot to her. She lost her mother and that will never change, but she wanted once again to achieve the jump she had lost after Vancouver Olys. It had been their dream for Mao to win Olys with a 3A. I have no idea whether that will ever happen, but Mao does not want to give up no matter what.

That seems like a good enough reason to me. Besides, she jumps the 3A because, well, she can. Go, Mao! (And while you're at it, go for the other jumps as well. We'll be here ready to cheer you on.)

Between YuNa's very promising comeback and Mao's fine performance this week (room for improvement, but fine nonetheless), I feel as if I'm being offered the world's best chocolate truffles and the finest milk chocolate bar at the same time and told "bon appetit." Don't ask me which treat stands for which skater. I'm currently in a skating stupor of delight.

Last edited:

minze

Medalist
At the 4CC FS, Mao URd her 3A, her 3F+3Lo and her 2A+3T, even in her own country. She got the green light on the 3A in the SP, but to some eyes, that was a bit of a gift.

Mao was one success for four tries at 4CC. At least she only got <. She won't be skating at home for Worlds and some of those < could turn into <<. Pretty risky.

So the judges are not ISU judges? Therefore depending on the country where the event is held they give higher marks to the skaters from that county? Ok. Mao did not get gifts, she was scored farily

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao was under no pressure at 4CC, as she was on home ice with no real competition. Even without pressure, she couldn't rotate 75% of her high-risk elements (3a, 3f+3lo, 2a+3t). Worlds won't be on home ice before an adoring audience, and it will be a pressure-cooker for Mao, with added competitors Yu-Na, Kostner and the Russian ladies. It's going to be even harder to deliver those high-risk elements; what got < at home could become << at Worlds.

minze

Medalist
Mao was under no pressure at 4CC, as she was on home ice with no real competition. Even without pressure, she couldn't rotate 75% of her high-risk elements (3a, 3f+3lo, 2a+3t). Worlds won't be on home ice before an adoring audience, and it will be a pressure-cooker for Mao, with added competitors Yu-Na, Kostner and the Russian ladies. It's going to be even harder to deliver those high-risk elements; what got < at home could become << at Worlds.

Lets see what happens. I rooting for and wish her the best. No matter what happens, she should still be very proud of her progress

aims

Rinkside

Are you kidding me?? Trying to live up to HUGE expectations on home ice in front of all her fervent Japanese fans isn't pressure? No real competition? Maybe tech-wise, sure, but that's a real low opinion of Suzuki and Murakami.

minze

Medalist
Are you kidding me?? Trying to live up to HUGE expectations on home ice in front of all her fervent Japanese fans isn't pressure? No real competition? Maybe tech-wise, sure, but that's a real low opinion of Suzuki and Murakami.

Suzuki and Murakami were a force. Team Japan did so well

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It was easy to see how confident and comfortable Mao looked, skating on home ice. The only 'competition' Mao had was the other Japanese skaters. They were still no competition.

Mao skated quite badly at NHK 2012 and should have lost to Suzuki, but Mao won anyway. No matter what Akiko did on the ice at 4CC, Mao was bound to win.

Murakami is a charming skater but she has a weird pick technique and a serious UR problem. Kanako isn't competition for an 'ON' Suzuki, let alone Mao.

minze

Medalist
It was easy to see how confident and comfortable Mao looked, skating on home ice. The only 'competition' Mao had was the other Japanese skaters. They were still no competition.

Mao skated quite badly at NHK 2012 and should have lost to Suzuki, but Mao won anyway. No matter what Akiko did on the ice at 4CC, Mao was bound to win.

Murakami is a charming skater but she has a weird pick technique and a serious UR problem. Kanako isn't competition for an 'ON' Suzuki, let alone Mao.

Downplaying Mao's victory. Why? No need she had worthy competitors and she won by 15 points. By the way, she did it by taking a risk. What is interesting is that the same prople who criticzied mao for supposely watering down her content are now down playing her victory

Laughing Man

Rinkside
It was easy to see how confident and comfortable Mao looked, skating on home ice.

Wow! You must know Mao very well to be able to figure out what kind of mental state she was in just by looking at her face. Are you a close friend of hers?

I simply assumed...after years of reforming her jumps from scratch, losing her mother at such a young age, not being able to reachieve her signature jump for such a long time, announcing to the press loud and clear that she'll go for a 3A and a 3-3 beforehand, Mao must've been nervous like hell in attempting that monstorous layout and her 3A once again. I think that's how most logical people understood how she was feeling during 4CC.

But then, I suppose you're the master mind-reader and others are just stupid medicore ordinary losers with no insight, huh?

Cherryy

On the Ice

I don't agree. As other posters said, she skated on home ice, being watched by the people who wanted her so badly to perform well after stating she will attempt extremely difficult elements, first time this season. Additionaly, I wonder why do you think Mao is not able to cope with pressure. Mao and Yuna are probably the two skaters now competing that faced the biggest amount of pressure. I agree that at worlds Mao will have to face stronger competitors than at 4cc but apart from Kostner and Yuna, who can really challenge her? I looooove Elizaveta and I do like Adelina but unless Mao,Yuna and Carolina perform extremely bad and the russians the best the can, Liza and Adelina won't beat the veterans.
Coming back to the main question - I think Mao will get the 3A back for Worlds.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This home ice argument is kinda of weird. She hasn't skated clean on home ice -- NHK was very poor for her, Nationals was better but still with errors, and here she made errors too. The difference I think is that home ice encouraged her to try for harder difficulty. I'm sure it was a wonderful thrill for her in the SP to have her 3A come back, and in front of a home crowd too. She won't have that same encouragement in London, but she is still a favourite and has lots of fans in Canada. I think she'll want to put out a strong performance. What I'm hoping is Yu Na puts up a huge SP score, as does Mao, similar to the Olympics, and in order to catch Yu Na, Mao delivers a FS where she at least attempts the content here. I agree with others who say that a win without a 3A (especially now she knows she can still do one) isn't as satisfying for her.

Cherryy

On the Ice
I just found this clip showing that Mao's present triple-axel take off is exactly the same as her double-axel take off. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6-_9KfVes0

I wonder if this means that she could potentially do a triple-axel from a fan spiral??

It's great that she doesn't telegraph the entry to the 3 axel so much but no, she is not able to do a triple axel from a fan spiral. It's an entirely different thing and she doesn't need that entry. Just get the axel done which won't be so easy either.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Who knows, she used to do double brackets entry which I found particularly impressive as there's a lot of potential to lose speed (similar to Radionova's lutz, or the hardest - Hanyu's counter into 3A).

Bartek

On the Ice
It's great that she doesn't telegraph the entry to the 3 axel so much but no, she is not able to do a triple axel from a fan spiral. It's an entirely different thing and she doesn't need that entry. Just get the axel done which won't be so easy either.

Actually her 3A set-up is a lot shorter than many men's 3A set-up. There is no jump that Mao telegraphs and all of them have some transitions in and/or out apart from 3A and 2A+3T which is totally understandable. I like how she gained speed for the latter combo with just a few forward crossovers while the other skaters do back crossovers through the whole side of the rink and then skate another half of the rink while preparing for it. Of course she had to change the approach she had previously in this place in the program which was little ina bauer, brief back spiral, a few turns and right into 3Lo+2Lo+2Lo but nothing really wrong with that. No one should expect she would keep the fun spiral before the axel and the same entrance she had for the three jump combo for 2A+3T. She should just land those cleanly with full rotation and it'll be all right. Another interesting thing about the limitation of transitions in her new version of FS is that even though she's got rid of the turns before the first 3F which has now become a triple-triple she did keep the spread eagle.

hurrah

Medalist
Yes, I don't think Mao's set up into her triple-axel can be seen as telegraphed at all. But just in case, I did go to YouTube to look at set ups of variety of skaters, and really, it's not. I did, however, find that Mao's set up is longer by one second or second and a half in comparison to Plushenko and Yagudin's (lol) whose setup is so, so short! In looking at other skater's triple-axel set ups, I noticed that Harding's set up (which is, yes, longer than Mao's) is really, really strange:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JM5Ed3ardM

There is no arc! She goes straight back into her axel! She truly was a raw talent. How she managed to do a triple axel from that is freaky.