Anyone have tendon and heel surgery? | Golden Skate

Anyone have tendon and heel surgery?

bostonquad

Spectator
Has anyone experienced PTT (post tibial tendon) and heel surgery? If so, what was it like to get back to skating afterwards?

I have a partially torn PTT. Orthotics have given back to me the ability to walk without pain, but I haven't regained the ability to do an outside edge on my bad foot. The surgery to treat it is:

1) FDL transfer (cut out the bad tendon, cut out a nearby good tendon, and suture the good, but smaller, tendon in where the bad tendon was)

2) Calcaneal osteotomy (cut the heel bone, slide it over, and bolt it back in place)

I know some people are able to run again after this surgery. But I care little for running; I care about skating. So if anyone here had this done, I'd love to hear what your recovery was like.

Thanks!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
bostonquad, welcome to Golden Skate! I hope someone has an answer for you, and that your recovery goes well.

bostonquad

Spectator
Thanks dorispulaski. I'll give updates in case anyone else is facing this and wondered what happened to me.

After more dialog with my surgeon, I'm going to try a custom brace and put off surgery. That's not a good option for everyone with PTTD, but it seems to make sense for me based on how I'm responding to orthotics. If the brace seems promising, I'll order up some custom skates so I can wear a brace while skating. No one - not the surgeon, not the physical therapist, not the orthotist - is predicting anything, as they don't have experience with skaters with PTTD. I hope the brace works.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There are certainly a lot of good orthopedic doctors in the Boston area; it's never a bad idea to get a second opinion, if you have any doubts about your doctor's suggested course of treatment.

Dreaswi

Rinkside
I'm recovering from ankle reconstruction. I know the feeling of being stuck on the bench. If you want a second opinion I know a USA national skater in that area. I bet he would know someone good.

Turbo-Mom

On the Ice
Hi Boston Quad

My husband fractured his Calcaneus (Heal Bone) in a severe auto accident in 1973 and he skated again. My son, however, had a donor cadaver transplant to restore his Talus Bone. In order to get access to the Talus, they had to cut through his Tibia and lift it up, causing trauma to his Posterior Tibialis Tendon where it passes near the Medial Malleolus (This surgery was in 2007 and appliances removed in 2008). He now has intermittent Tendonitis in the tendon, which is managed using various therapies including physical therapy, vitamin and mineral therapy, Hungarian Wellness Mud, H-Wave, Ultra-Sound and prayer. In 2010, he had Steroid Injection via Ultrasound in the tendon just before Nationals and that was very successful. He now does a lot of Off Ice Exercises to keep the Ankle and Tendon in good condition, but it will always be uncomfortable. Physicians don’t usually inject Steroids into Tendons because it weakens the Tendon Sheath so Daniel has learned to deal with it.

Your in my prayers

We wish you the best in treating your PT dysfunction and hope your back on the ice soon. Strongly suggest you go on Health Boards to learn all you can about your condition.