Future of Russian Ladies | Golden Skate

Future of Russian Ladies

vera01

Final Flight
Some Russian skaters had a nice senior debut, but some did not and it's not likely that we'll see them at Olympics&World Championships. Who will have best future, among these ladies who can compete at Sochi 2014 and/or Pyeongchang 2018?

-Adelina Sotnikova:She never qualified for senior Grand Prix Final, however, won silver medal at Euros and proved that she still can be competitive at senior competitions.
-Elizaveta Tuktamysheva:Here jumps are one of the best when it comes to quality, but she is certainly not the best when it comes to artistry, or SS.
-Polina K. Polina S.:They were good skaters when they were juniors, but it seems like they're having a hard time as a senior skater.
-Julia Lipnitskaia:She has to face what Elizaveta and Adelina had to face last 2 seasons. But she is usually consistent and her spins usually receive level four.
-Elena Radionova:She isn't eligible for Sochi 2014, and should be hoping to compete at Pyeongchang 2018. She is one of the all-around skaters with artistry, too.
-Serafima Sakhanovich:She is calm for her age when she's skating, and definitely has artistry. Her jumps and spins might not be best, but she should be competitive as a senior since she'll be able to receive high PCS.
-Maria Sotskova
-Evgenia Medvedeva
-Anna Pogorilya

Last edited:

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Don't forget Anna Pogorilaya. She was 5th at senior nationals and is really promising for future.
I think Adelina and Liza will be really difficult to beat for other newcomers. They have lots of international experience. Liza still lacks something in her skating and it's like she has had no improvement since we watched her in junior stage first time. She is always the same Liza. Really good jumps, same style of music choice, lots of turns between jumps... This year she fought with puberty as her coach said. Maybe her time to improve artistically has come now.
Adelina is ready for bigger challenge I think. She is at the level of elite skaters (like Kostner, Korpi, Asada) both technically and presentation-wise. Sometimes she is inconsistent or maybe she begins seasons with problems then becomes ready later. Two years in a row her GP performances were not her best but at Nationals last year and Europeans this year she was really on.
My biggest love is for Polina K! She is really my type of girl :biggrin: I hope next year she can be in a better shape to be in the team. This will be very difficult cause Lipnitskaya will be senior eligible next year. But we don't know how she will be doing with puberty and the process of turning into a senior lady.
I really liked Maria Sotskova. This was the first time I've watched her (Jr.Nationals) and I'm really impressed. She has big jumps and artistry together. Her SP reminds me of Kostner. Though we do not know what will puberty change, I would be really happy to see her being a rising star.
Anyway, I don't see Russia having problems in ladies skating like they did after Slutskaya and Sokolova's retired. There is a big pool of talented girls and sure some will survive through puberty and continue improving themselves.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I really liked Shelepen as a junior, especially her last year's FS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcnQ-hIJsIg&list=LLwuapGNmIOJTL7LLDvfzySw), but this years she had really a terrible season: I hope she can come back next year and skate better (maybe changing coach, I really liked the way that Tutberidze was working with her, with Sokolovskaya it looks like she's having problems in rotating her jumps)! Who do you think will be next year's JGP stars (except Sakhanovich!): are Medvedeva and Sotskova eligible? If the answer is yes, we could have another all-Russian podium at JGPF 2013! And, behind them? Are there news of any new young girl doing 3-3s and so?

wjww

Rinkside
No one want to talk about Valery Yevseyeva? She has great skating skills, all five triples, no edge error, and she is only 10 years old (age eligible for Pyeongchang 2018)!!

I'm so amazed by her performances in the Russian Junior.

jiggs

On the Ice
I have found my new favourite young Russian in Serafima :bow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEfYvQODJLg
IMO she has what the likes of Liptnitskaya or Radionova lack: amazing flow, lovely lines and she holds her positions equisitely. She doesn't rush through her choreography or movements.

All of these girls are amazingly talanted but I am pretty sure not all of them will survive the puberty monster. Only time will tell!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
sad most of these girl will never make it out of nationals, I almost wish they should get a dual citizenship
and compete for Ukraine, Belarus, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan etc.

Who do you think will be next year's JGP stars (except Sakhanovich!): are Medvedeva and Sotskova eligible?

eligible by next JGP:

Sakhanovich
Sotskova
Medvedeva
Ogoreltseva
Julia Li - she is of Korean heritage
Yuschenko
Elizaveta Tursynbaeva - will compete for Kazakhstan next JGP

also I think Radionova will be sticking to juniors
for political reasons maybe Anna P. can go seniors next season

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
sad most of these girl will never make it out of nationals, I almost wish they should get a dual citizenship

eligible by next JGP:

Sakhanovich
Sotskova
Medvedeva
Ogoreltseva
Yuschenko

Don't forget Alsu Kayumova!! She's been weak at national level competition,but her performance at russia cup is good,too. I'm guessing she'll be a contender again keeping improving on the area of PCS under Elena's main coach.

As for Valery Yevseyeva,I haven't seen her many times,but she's one who has potential to lead the ladies FS world. Her rival is Anastisia Gubanova bore in 2002 got credits of 3T3T this season.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Don't forget Alsu Kayumova!! She's been weak at national level competition,but her performance at russia cup is good,too. I'm guessing she'll be a contender again keeping improving on the area of PCS under Elena's main coach.

As for Valery Yevseyeva,I haven't seen her many times,but she's one who has potential to lead the ladies FS world. Her rival is Anastisia Gubanova bore in 2002 got credits of 3T3T this season.

the same Anastasia Gubanova in pairs now ?

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Russia dominates in JW as Japan did) The future IS bright, I believe:)
All of them are small but really good. No doubt they'll be hard to beat in the future..

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia

eligible by next JGP:

Sakhanovich
Sotskova
Medvedeva
Ogoreltseva
Yuschenko

=(( It's too bad that there are so many talented girls at the same time in the same country..I think it's reasonable for some of them to represent some other country..Ukraine deserves it's talented single skater))

hanca

Record Breaker
I really liked Shelepen as a junior, especially her last year's FS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcnQ-hIJsIg&list=LLwuapGNmIOJTL7LLDvfzySw), but this years she had really a terrible season: I hope she can come back next year and skate better (maybe changing coach, I really liked the way that Tutberidze was working with her, with Sokolovskaya it looks like she's having problems in rotating her jumps)! Who do you think will be next year's JGP stars (except Sakhanovich!): are Medvedeva and Sotskova eligible? If the answer is yes, we could have another all-Russian podium at JGPF 2013! And, behind them? Are there news of any new young girl doing 3-3s and so?

You really liked the way that Tutberidze was working with her? I don't think she did, otherwise she would have never left her. Someone reported that Tutberidze was really nasty to her, although Shelepen refused to talk about it on any public forum.

hanca

Record Breaker
=(( It's too bad that there are so many talented girls at the same time in the same country..I think it's reasonable for some of them to represent some other country..Ukraine deserves it's talented single skater))

I absolutely agree. They should either cancel the limit per country, or some of the ladies should be able to skate for other counties. It is unfair towards them, when they put so much into the sport, have such great jumps and other elements and may never get to any major international competition only because there is so many of them. It is also unfair towards the audience, who perhaps pay a lot of money to watch the championships and then is watching ladies who struggle to complete a few triples, while there are ladies in Russia who are much better than those who skate at the championships but can't compete because they placed 4th or 5th in Russia. The sad things is, they are so good, but there is always only 3 medals and someone will always have to end up at 4th or 5th place.

hanca

Record Breaker
Don't forget about Nikol Gosviani. She really impressed me. From someone who nearly did not qualify to their nationals (she was third substitute) she turned out to be 6th in Europeans. I really like her grace, elegance and she does have the jumps too. I was impressed that she managed to hold her nerves, considering that she did not have any international competitive experience. She did one junior grand prix 2 years ago and nothing since. Russians considered her 'not good enough'. Before Europeans they quickly sent her to some B competition, but that was junior level, and then suddenly she was expected to hold her nerves in front of some five thousand people in her first international event. She has done brilliantly!

I am worried that she won't be able to fight with Adelina, Liza , Julia and all the other youngsters that are coming through within next few seasons, but I think she skates as well as (well, actually better than) Makarova, Shelepen, Korobeynikova, Byriukova and this season Leonova. Considering that all those five had 2 GP events last year, I wish Nikol got the same chance.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
You really liked the way that Tutberidze was working with her? I don't think she did, otherwise she would have never left her. Someone reported that Tutberidze was really nasty to her, although Shelepen refused to talk about it on any public forum.

But with Tutberidze Polina did all the jumps and two 3-3 in the LP even during grown spurts and puberty, had good levels of the non-jumping elements, improved her PCS (I think her last year LP was a big step forward for her), was healthy and fought for every element. With Sokolovskaya she can't jump anything, got injured and has a terrible season. And it's not even puberty, she came to Sokolovskaya pretty much grown up.

Back to the topic: I'm really impressed with Maria Sotskova and it's nice to see not only new talented skaters, but new coaches as well. Her coach doesn't have a big name yet, but Maria is a good all-around skater with great jumps, spins and interesting programs, I think she will do well at the JGP. As for Seraphima, she is just unique, I really really hope puberty won't hit her hard, this girl is exceptional. And I always had a soft spot for Evgenia Medvedeva :)
Adelina and Liza are strong seniors now, next year Julia will join them I think. And then Elena... Such a pity there won't be enough spots for all of them, but on the other hand it means that the ones who makes it through Nationals will be the best of the best

hanca

Record Breaker
How do you know it is not even puberty? Polina is the same age as Adelina and Liza. Both Adelina and Liza struggled with puberty the last 1-2 seasons, so Shelepen could have had the same problems related to puberty. Also, she was injured most of this season, so it is unfair to compare her results from the season when she is injured to the results of the previous season when she was healthy. Even Makarova got benefit of doubt (and has been messing up for two seasons), so I would give Shelepen a chance for another season before writing her off.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Few skaters in Russia are getting more federation support than gosviani at this time.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Some Russian skaters had a nice senior debut, but some did not and it's not likely that we'll see them at Olympics&World Championships. Who will have best future, among these ladies who can compete at Sochi 2014 and/or Pyeongchang 2018?

-Adelina Sotnikova:She never qualified for senior Grand Prix Final, however, won silver medal at Euros and proved that she still can be competitive at senior competitions.
-Elizaveta Tuktamysheva:Here jumps are one of the best when it comes to quality, but she is certainly not the best when it comes to artistry, or SS.
-Polina K. Polina S.:They were good skaters when they were juniors, but it seems like they're having a hard time as a senior skater.
-Julia Lipnitskaia:She has to face what Elizaveta and Adelina had to face last 2 seasons. But she is usually consistent and her spins usually receive level four.
-Elena Radionova:She isn't eligible for Sochi 2014, and should be hoping to compete at Pyeongchang 2018. She is one of the all-around skaters with artistry, too.
-Serafima Sakhanovich:She is calm for her age when she's skating, and definitely has artistry. Her jumps and spins might not be best, but she should be competitive as a senior since she'll be able to receive high PCS.
-Maria Sotskova
-Evgenia Medvedeva
-Anna Pogorilya

And Agafanova? She was JWCH medalist..What happened with her?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
How do you know it is not even puberty? Polina is the same age as Adelina and Liza. Both Adelina and Liza struggled with puberty the last 1-2 seasons, so Shelepen could have had the same problems related to puberty. Also, she was injured most of this season, so it is unfair to compare her results from the season when she is injured to the results of the previous season when she was healthy. Even Makarova got benefit of doubt (and has been messing up for two seasons), so I would give Shelepen a chance for another season before writing her off.

because Sokoloskaya is a terrible coach all of her students have ended their careers in injury, still remember Ovcharova and Deeva ? now faded into obscurity, Shelepen is done unless she makes drastic changes and change coaches, I think she will retire by next season