Future of Russian Ladies | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Future of Russian Ladies

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Makarova seems to be going to college in new york? Does it mean she is done?
If that's true, it means that she would have to change find a new coach and begin training in a new environment in another continent... And, considering the fact that she would be in college, she would end up as the new Rachael Flatt I think...

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Makarova has no chance to ever make a major Russian team again. By none I mean 110% certainty. So she might as well start doing something new with her life while she is still young, and maybe do some competitive skating on the side but not make it a priority anymore.

bekalc

Record Breaker
If that's true, it means that she would have to change find a new coach and begin training in a new environment in another continent... And, considering the fact that she would be in college, she would end up as the new Rachael Flatt I think...

Do you really think Ksensia is going to make another Russian team? I think its very wise for her to go onto college. And for those who feel sorry for her, I kind of have to say why? She got to go to the Olympics and several World Championships? Whats to feel sorry for.. The youngsters have been beating her at Nationals for years, and are now finally getting old enough. I feel far more sorry for many of them who are better than Ksensia but are going find far less opportunities.

If she want to continue skating, she'd be far better of going with another federation.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Do you really think Ksensia is going to make another Russian team? I think its very wise for her to go onto college. And for those who feel sorry for her, I kind of have to say why? She got to go to the Olympics and several World Championships? Whats to feel sorry for.. The youngsters have been beating her at Nationals for years, and are now finally getting old enough. I feel far more sorry for many of them who are better than Ksensia but are going find far less opportunities.

If she want to continue skating, she'd be far better of going with another federation.

In fairness to her she did make it to the 2010 Olympics and 2010 Worlds by WINNING Russian Nationals that year, beating Leonova who was then their top skater, as well as all the current young ones who were obviously younger and earlier in their developmental point then. She fully earned her trips to the big events that year, and would have made it regardless of age rules.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well none of the baby ballerinas have been all that impressive compared to when Mao or Yuna came on the scene. In fact we can't even tell who is the top -Liza? Adeline or Jula (though not age eligible ti is hard to say who is no. 1. Sad about Leonova and Makarova who look llike they are left in oblivion. Never seen such a sorry state for a world silver medallist - not even a year later and Leonova's career seems over. None of these Russian girls ahve great style; i can't understand that. You think someone would be an artist or a huge personality skater but nope. I am not so sure they will hold on to three spots. They too have to face Yuna, Carolina and Mao then 2 more japanese ladies, 2 americans, Osmond, A chinese lady and Korpi. Huge challenge.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Who cares how they compare to Kim or Asada. The only issue that matters for Makarova is the fact is they are light years better than Makarova is. There are atleast 6 Russian women age eligible for any and all events who Makarova is almost completely incapable of beating, and that number will rise as each year more become age eligible. There is no point in her continuing to try and make major teams for Russia atleast.

As for Leonova, if she is finished, it is because her own skating has fallen apart. This year especialy it would have been ridiculously easy for her to make the team along with Elizaveta and Adelina if she skated halfway decent at Nationals or any of her competitions, but she seems to have forgotten how to skate. In the future it will be alot harder for her even if she regains her form, but she made it alot harder by not continuing any of her momentum the last 2 seasons which is completely her own fault. Funny thing is even bombing completely she still finishes above Makarova at Nationals.

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Well none of the baby ballerinas have been all that impressive compared to when Mao or Yuna came on the scene. In fact we can't even tell who is the top -Liza? Adeline or Jula (though not age eligible ti is hard to say who is no. 1. Sad about Leonova and Makarova who look llike they are left in oblivion. Never seen such a sorry state for a world silver medallist - not even a year later and Leonova's career seems over. None of these Russian girls ahve great style; i can't understand that. You think someone would be an artist or a huge personality skater but nope. I am not so sure they will hold on to three spots. They too have to face Yuna, Carolina and Mao then 2 more japanese ladies, 2 americans, Osmond, A chinese lady and Korpi. Huge challenge.

Leonova and Makarova are done

about the younger girls, well they are certainly not finished as you predicted t them, lol
even your crowned Osmond isn't that much stable either

hanca

Record Breaker
Well none of the baby ballerinas have been all that impressive compared to when Mao or Yuna came on the scene. In fact we can't even tell who is the top -Liza? Adeline or Jula (though not age eligible ti is hard to say who is no. 1.

Who care which of the youngsters is on the top? The important thing is that one is silver European medallist and one bronze European medallist in their first fully senior season. If that's not impressive, please take notice that neither Yu-Na nor Mao managed to win their first worlds either.

LRK

Record Breaker
Who care which of the youngsters is on the top? The important thing is that one is silver European medallist and one bronze European medallist in their first fully senior season. If that's not impressive, please take notice that neither Yu-Na nor Mao managed to win their first worlds either.

Besides we actually don't know that either Adelina or Liza WON'T win their first Worlds' - yet. ;)

Note: I think it highly unlikely either of them will win, all I'm saying is that we don't know it for an actual fact until the competition has actually been held. :)

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Does anyone know what happened with Leonova and why she fell apart this season?

I agree it's the most stunning collapse of a World silver medalist since Chen Lu in 1997. Of course Leonova's silver was sort of a fluke last year, but still.

gmyers

Record Breaker
How do you know?

Also, who's the 3rd lady going to worlds?

Gosviani. With pcs being thrown out as consideration from the federation as criteria to be sent anywhere gosviani will beat leonova because leonova can't do 2a right now or her 3/3 or flip.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I thought Leonova was gifted with that silver medal last season and that it should belong to Akiko. As to why Leonova has bottomed out this year, I have no idea. Is she going through something? Maybe she got into her own head and let the fact that Adelina and Liza were full seniors psych her out to the point she forgot how to land a jump.

IDK though...she just looked sad all season long. I think it may be something else. Either way, she's had a flat out terrible year. The upside is Adelina and Liza are looking much stronger now and hopefully they'll continue to build up to Sochi. If Julia can rest up and get over her injuries (and get a better choreographer) the three of them would make a very impressive triumvirate for Sochi.

gmyers

Record Breaker
She never really fell below landing 4 or 5 triples a free skate but leonova has been falling a lot and singling axels. She is not going to be sent to worlds. She was eligible for euros and gosviani wasnt and gosviani was named to the euros team and it didn't matter that she needed and it wasn't guaranteed that she would skate a euros. The skating of leonova would have to be magnificent at the final and like makarova her career is over. The federation has decided to turn the page completely on the past and its all Liza and Adelina and gosviani with no one from the past and that includes the now past her best leonova. She would need to beat gosviani by 10 to 20 points on Tes.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
She never really fell below landing 4 or 5 triples a free skate but leonova has been falling a lot and singling axels. She is not going to be sent to worlds. She was eligible for euros and gosviani wasnt and gosviani was named to the euros team and it didn't matter that she needed and it wasn't guaranteed that she would skate a euros. The skating of leonova would have to be magnificent at the final and like makarova her career is over. The federation has decided to turn the page completely on the past and its all Liza and Adelina and gosviani with no one from the past and that includes the now past her best leonova. She would need to beat gosviani by 10 to 20 points on Tes.

So who is going to worlds? Does Russia have three spots or two? I know Adelina and Liza are going; is there a third person?

tulosai

Record Breaker
So who is going to worlds? Does Russia have three spots or two? I know Adelina and Liza are going; is there a third person?

Russia has 3 spots. The third will ikely be Leonova or Giosvanni. The Russian fed has not announced which yet.