Here's the Finnstep | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Here's the Finnstep

FSGMT

Record Breaker
And, if I understand well the rules, the twizzle has to be exactly of 1 revolution and a half (a very unusual move), not more, so I think that we will see a lot of levels 1 and 2 for excellent finnesteps because one of the partners has performed a twizzle that had more (or less) than 1 1/2 revolutions right? For skaters who usually have to perform 5/6/7-revolutions twizzles this will be incredibly difficult to perform at the level of perfection that the key-points judging system requires...

gkelly

Record Breaker
And, if I understand well the rules, the twizzle has to be exactly of 1 revolution and a half (a very unusual move), not more, so I think that we will see a lot of levels 1 and 2 for excellent finnesteps because one of the partners has performed a twizzle that had more (or less) than 1 1/2 revolutions right? For skaters who usually have to perform 5/6/7-revolutions twizzles this will be incredibly difficult to perform at the level of perfection that the key-points judging system requires...

I dont expect that to be a problem

GF2445

Record Breaker
I really like this dance, especially since it was only used at 2009 euros and four continents. It really separated the boys/girls from the men/women so to speak.

What I'm looking forward to more though is the no touch diagonal step sequence

thumbyskates

Rinkside

I wouldn't think this would be a problem. It's kind of like top free skaters performing a waltz jump or a 1-foot spin. It's in the basics. You never forget the basics. You'll just have to polish up on them and perfect them.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
The Finnstep is based on this awesome OSP :love:. Here is what Petri Kokko had to say about it in 2008:

Sadly, it was only used twice, at 2009 Euros and 4CCs. If we've been deprived of the Finnstep as a CD, at least it'll make a comeback as an SD pattern... it'll only be about a million times better than the YP.

This was the time when I adored the ice dance! :yes: Where is twizzle? Thanks God there is no...;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker

GF2445

Record Breaker
It's going to be interesting which teams will have the best finnstep pattern. It's such a deceptively difficult dance to execute with lots of steps!!
When it was a compulsory, in my opinion, virtue and moir's interpretation of the dance was the best (even with Tessa's stumble). However, since the compulsory portions are being marked against key points, it's going to be interesting who gets the levels?p.

kittyhawk

Rinkside
How fascinating to compare the brilliant original to the pattern as it is skated today!

Off-topic, but I'd like to ask any knowledgeable people here what the ISU Tech Committe looked for when they turned Klimova/Ponomarenko's and Rakhamo/Kokko's dances into CDs. I remember reading an article years ago where it was written that Belbin/Agosto were helping to demonstrate Christopher Dean's rhumba before the committee. I wonder what happened since then, because obviously there was no new rhumba CD. Was the pattern not quite suitable as a compulsory?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I do know that some of the problems with the T&D rumba CD is that it is too long. To get it to what was thought to be a normal CD length, one 1 1/2 patterns could be skated. Back in the days of 6.0 CD's one of the things that was considered important was that tracings from repeating the pattern were supposed to overlay each other quite closely, something that you can't demonstrate well if only 1/2 the pattern repeats. Here, my memory is hazy, but I think there were complaints that it was too difficult in some way, but I'm not sure if that was involved.

I seem to remember that B&A did a demo at Worlds (perhaps 2003 Worlds in Washington, DC), but that was as far as it got.

I have no knowledge of the inside workings of the tech committee, and hope someone else will answer the rest of your very interesting question.

kittyhawk

Rinkside
Thanks for the informative reply, doris! I can see how it would be problematic with the awkward length.

Here, my memory is hazy, but I think there were complaints that it was too difficult in some way, but I'm not sure if that was involved.
Haha, I can somehow imagine that what was easy for T/D (and with quite distinctive choreo) might be hard for other ice dance teams. :)

After watching the Skate America short dances I am starting to warm up to the SD concept (kind of miss the compulsories, though). The actual Finnstep sequences were very distinct and easy to follow.

KKonas

Medalist
I'm rather enjoying many of the SD's I have seen so far. The Finnstep is much better to watch than some of last season's attempts at the Yankee Polka.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
OTOH, I liked D&W's Giselle a lot better than any of the SD's I've seen so far-but I like all the Finnstep SD's a bit. There were some truly awful YP SD's last year.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
OTOH, I liked D&W's Giselle a lot better than any of the SD's I've seen so far-but I like all the Finnstep SD's a bit. There were some truly awful YP SD's last year.
True. Their My Fair Lady just isn't saying this is special to me yet...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think it was a mistake for the ISU to require both Finnstep sequences to be skated one after the other, rather than allowing transitions between, and other elements to be inserted between. It gives all the SD programs an unfortunate sameness about them.