Russian National Events after JrNats | Golden Skate

Russian National Events after JrNats

Country
Russia
There are four National Events after JrNationals.

1. Final of Russian Cup. 16-19 Feb 2013, Tver city. Men, Ladies, Pairs, Dance, Junior, Novice. Up to 10 skaters/couples at any of 8 categories, often less than 10.
At Men and Ladies Top 5 may pretend to Team Russia.
Also at Final of Russiian Cup may be "re-skating" Seniors before Worlds if leaders are not absolutely obvious. May be, it will be so at Ladies this season, because third spot for Worlds has not one obvious pretender.
And/or, may be, in Senior Men.
Often it is not so serious competition, because Top 6 of Senior and Junior Nationals ignore it - they are in Team Russia because of result of Nationals.
Best Seniors and Juniors prepare for Worlds (Sr or Jr) and ignore Final of Russiian Cup because of this.

Other Events - only Junior and Novice.

2. Spartakiad of Pupils, Final. 11-16 Mar 2013, Saransk city.
Junior Men and Ladies (born at 1996-1999), Novice boys and girls (2000-2001), Pairs and Dance (1995 and younger).
Regional team - 2 Junior Men, 2 Junior Ladies, 1 Novice boy, 1 Novice Girl, 3 couples (Pairs and/or Dance).
Best regions - Moscow and StPetersburg, they are at the top at most.
Serious competition - at previous Spartakiad (2011) medalists of Junior Ladies were Lipnitskaia, Shelepen, Agafonova. At Novice girls were Medvedeva (1st place), Radionova.
Results have influence on Team Russia.

3. Zhuk Memorial (aka Russian Nationals Younger Age). 19-23 Mar 2013, Stary Oskol.
"Baby Nationals" in two age groups - elder (2000-2001) and younger (2002 and younger). Boys, girls.
Take place skaters qualified at zonal competitions.
Special program - elements (jumps, spin, StSq), SP, FS.
For younger age SP and FS close to ISU Advanced Novice, for elder - to Juniors.
Competition is interesting as "look in the future", many famous skaters were first recognized at Zhuk Memorial.
For example, at 2009 in younger age girls medalists were: Radionova, Pogorilaya, Shershak. Also took place and were recognized by FS fans Lipnitskaia and Ogoreltseva.

4. Russian Nationals Elder Age 01-04 Apr 2013, Nizhniy Novgorod.
Junior Men, Ladies, Pairs, Dance.
Age - 1996 and younger, Men in Pairs and Dance - 1994 and younger.
Take place skaters qualified at zonal competitions (Men, Ladies) and on results of Russian Cup Events (Pairs, Dance).
Last chance for Juniors to earn the place in Team Russia - first from 4 to 6 places (it differs at different years).

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
AlexRus, I am confused about the many 'nationals' you seem to have there. So in December it is senior nationals. In January (the competition that took place just a few days ago) it was junior nationals. That's clear. So what is the difference between those junior nationals and Zhuk Memorials (aka baby nationals)? I mean, you wrote that Zhuk Memorials are nationals for skaters - elder (2000-2001) and younger (2002 and younger). But isn't the elder age category actually the same age as those who competed at junior nationals? If I remember correctly, the majority there was the age 12-14, so that would overlap with the Zhuk Memorials (baby nationals) older group? And to confuse it even more, there are fourth nationals in April for age 1996 and younger! But aren't the majority of those who competed at Junior nationals and Zhuk memorial already fitting into the same age group?

So for example someone like Radionova (who was born in 1999) and Sakhanovitch (born 2000) have already competed in senior nationals (because they are far too good above their age), then they competed in junior nationals (because Radionova is internationally age eligible and Sakhanovitch will be next season). However, in theory Sakhanovitch could also compete in Zhuk memorial because she fits into the elder age category, and then both are fitting into the April nationals because both are younger than 1996. Don't you get exactly the same people attending all the nationals? And if someone says "I am the Russian nationals champion", how do you know know if they are national champion from December, January, March or April's championships?

hanca

Record Breaker
By the way, can you clarify what will be Gosviani's status now? Does she still need to attend at least one more championships to get on the national team for next season? Or is the results from Europeans good enough for her to get internationals competitions next season? She did miss the junior nationals, but that shouldn't matter if she is going to compete in seniors now.

siela

On the Ice
By the way, can you clarify what will be Gosviani's status now? Does she still need to attend at least one more championships to get on the national team for next season? Or is the results from Europeans good enough for her to get internationals competitions next season? She did miss the junior nationals, but that shouldn't matter if she is going to compete in seniors now.

Nicol's 6 place at Russian Nats guaranteed her a place on Russian Team, so she does not need to participate in other events. I hope though that she will because I love her skating.

Country
Russia
AlexRus, I am confused about the many 'nationals' you seem to have there. So in December it is senior nationals. In January (the competition that took place just a few days ago) it was junior nationals. That's clear. So what is the difference between those junior nationals and Zhuk Memorials (aka baby nationals)? I mean, you wrote that Zhuk Memorials are nationals for skaters - elder (2000-2001) and younger (2002 and younger). But isn't the elder age category actually the same age as those who competed at junior nationals? If I remember correctly, the majority there was the age 12-14, so that would overlap with the Zhuk Memorials (baby nationals) older group? And to confuse it even more, there are fourth nationals in April for age 1996 and younger! But aren't the majority of those who competed at Junior nationals and Zhuk memorial already fitting into the same age group?

So for example someone like Radionova (who was born in 1999) and Sakhanovitch (born 2000) have already competed in senior nationals (because they are far too good above their age), then they competed in junior nationals (because Radionova is internationally age eligible and Sakhanovitch will be next season). However, in theory Sakhanovitch could also compete in Zhuk memorial because she fits into the elder age category, and then both are fitting into the April nationals because both are younger than 1996. Don't you get exactly the same people attending all the nationals? And if someone says "I am the Russian nationals champion", how do you know know if they are national champion from December, January, March or April's championships?

Only best skaters of Zhuk Memorial compete at Junior Nationals. There are many skaters at Zhuk Memorial whose level is too low for Jr Nationals (they are very young, so it is normal).
At past season only 4 of 23 elder age girl skaters of Zhuk Memorial (places 1,2,3,5 at Zhuk Memorial, elder age) took place in Jr Nationals.

Best young skaters eligible by age for Zhuk Memorial may ignore it. For example, Radionova past season. She was 5th at Sr Nationals and 3rd at Jr Nationals. To be also 1st at Zhuk Memorial would add nothing to her status.

Situation looks close to Japanese Nationals, where best novices take place in Jr Nationals, best Juniors in Sr Nationals.

vera01

Final Flight
Only best skaters of Zhuk Memorial compete at Junior Nationals. There are many skaters at Zhuk Memorial whose level is too low for Jr Nationals (they are very young, so it is normal).
At past season only 4 of 23 elder age girl skaters of Zhuk Memorial (places 1,2,3,5 at Zhuk Memorial, elder age) took place in Jr Nationals.

Best young skaters eligible by age for Zhuk Memorial may ignore it. For example, Radionova past season. She was 5th at Sr Nationals and 3rd at Jr Nationals. To be also 1st at Zhuk Memorial would add nothing to her status.

Situation looks close to Japanese Nationals, where best novices take place in Jr Nationals, best Juniors in Sr Nationals.

I always thought that Russia's training system is similar to Japan's.

So did young skaters like Valeria Yevseyeva had to compete at Zhuk Memorial to compete at Jr.Nationals?

vera01

Final Flight
Will Leonova skate at the Russian Cup Final?

I don't think she can qualify for Worlds this year if she doesn't compete at Russian Cup Final. I think it's likely that she would compete at Russian Cup Final:)

Country
Russia
I always thought that Russia's training system is similar to Japan's.

So did young skaters like Valeria Yevseyeva had to compete at Zhuk Memorial to compete at Jr.Nationals?
No. Qualifying systems are different.

To qualify to JrNats are needed good results (places and score) of Russian Cup Events(Junior) - system is as qualifying to GP Final and JGP Final.

To qualify to Zhuk Memorial is needed to be at the top places at Zonal Competition - system is like qualifying to US Nationals.
Zones are:
Moscow - qualify Top 6.
StPetersburg - qualify Top 6.
Siberia and Far East - qualify Top 4.
Ural and Volga - qualify Top 7.
Center Russia - qualify Top 3.
It is for girls, for boys may be slightly different numbers.

hanca

Record Breaker

ok, so my understanding now is that Zhuk Memorial is something like novice nationals. So what is the fourth nationals (the one in April)? Why do you need another set of nationals?

Country
Russia
ok, so my understanding now is that Zhuk Memorial is something like novice nationals. So what is the fourth nationals (the one in April)? Why do you need another set of nationals?
Zhuk Memorial is third nationals.

First - Senior, second - Junior, third - Zhuk (pre-junior).

Country
Russia
http://rsport.ru/interview/20130207/643476447.html - interview of Piseev.

He told that at Final of Russian Cup will be compared:
Men - Kovtun, Voronov, Menshov, Gachinsky.
Ladies - Gosviani, Leonova.
Pairs - Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV, Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV, Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV.

After that will be final solution about Worlds team.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
http://rsport.ru/interview/20130207/643476447.html - interview of Piseev.

He told that at Final of Russian Cup will be compared:
Men - Kovtun, Voronov, Menshov, Gachinsky.
Ladies - Gosviani, Leonova.
Pairs - Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV, Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV, Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV.

After that will be final solution about Worlds team.
I think that Bazarova/Larionov will be at Worlds, no matter how they are going to skate; but, do they seriously need to choose between K/S and S/K?!

Country
Russia
I think that Bazarova/Larionov will be at Worlds, no matter how they are going to skate; but, do they seriously need to choose between K/S and S/K?!
Piseev named Bazarova/Larionov. I don't know how seriously.

K/S are higher level than S/K, but K/S are unstable now. They seriously need to choose.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

yes they did, B/L will skate here to test and make up for the lost time when they were injured
they will just skate no matter what the results but is already in the Worlds Team, K/S ans S/K are almost at par now , sad but true

hanca

Record Breaker
Zhuk Memorial is third nationals.

First - Senior, second - Junior, third - Zhuk (pre-junior).

I know. and then you have fourth nationals (look above at the list you posted - Russian Nationals Elder Age 01-04 Apr 2013, Nizhniy Novgorod). So what is these nationals (the one in April in Novgorod)? Why do you need another set of nationals if you already have three sets before?

Last edited:
Country
Russia
I know. and then you have fourth nationals (look above at the list you posted - Russian Nationals Elder Age 01-04 Apr 2013, Nizhniy Novgorod). So what is these nationals (the one in April in Novgorod)? Why do you need another set of nationals if you already have three sets before?
Elder age, Spartakiad and Final of Russian Cup look like "national level competitions" rather than "national championships".

Country
Russia
Btw, only Senior Nationals are called in Russian "Championship" and only winner of Senior Nationals has Chamion's title.

Winner of other Nationals have titles "Winner of Junior Nationals" or so, not Champion.