Practice reports?) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Practice reports?)

inskate

On the Ice
Just a small update: it was reported earlier that Mao was practicing 3F-3L and 3L-3L. Actually, it was 3F-3L and 3F-3T. ;) It was not reported yet which combo will Mao actually use in her program.

In an interview Mao said that her plan to attempt 3A and 3-3 here is fairly new and at the beginning of the season she wasn't sure she'd be able to land a 3-3 in her programs again. However, recently her jumps became more solid in practices. She doesn't think she's ready yet - she judges her 3A/3-3 to be about 60% ready - but she wants to attempt them here before she goes for them at Worlds.

Thank you demarinis5! And thank you ppsk8live!! :biggrin:
8 triples? Is that allowed in the women's event? I thought 7 was the limit. I could swear Sandra said that during Sarah Hughe's Olympic FS in 2002. Or perhaps I heard her wrong?

It's possible for a lady skater to have 8 triples in her long program - but only if she has 3A and a 3-3. Basically, a lady skater can do 7 jumping passes, 3 of which can be combinations or sequences (one combo/seq can consist of 3 jumps) and she can repeat only 2 types of triples (the repeated triple must be in combination).

For example, let's imagine that a particularly talented lady lands:

3Lz-3T
3F-half loop-3S <-under current rules, this counts as a 3-jump combination and receives full base value)
3F
3Lz
3L
That's 7 triples already, and there's still 2 jumping passes left, including a combo! But what jumps would be actually allowed here? There are already 2 types of triple jumps repeated (Lutz and flip), so it can't be Lz, T, F, S, or L... Yeah, we have a problem. :) The only allowed triple would be 3A (probably attempted earlier in the program), and the remaining jumping pass would be filled with 2A in combo (or solo 2A and tack on the 2T or 2L elsewhere). A lady with no 3A could fill the remaining jumping passes only with 2A and 2A-2L (or 2A-2T).
Hope this helps. :)

I thought repeating a jump (in this case the 3F) in combo was not allowed? Or does a sequence not count as a combo?

It's allowed to use the same type of jump in a combo twice. So, for example, landing 3F-3T and 3F-2L-2L in the same LP would be just fine. Doing two solo triple flips, on the other hand, wouldn't be very smart, as the second one would be marked as +SEQ, receive 80% of base value, and use up one combo slot.:)

ETA: I was massively late with my reply.^^'

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
The 3L still looks like it would get downgraded. I'd like to see her go for the 3F-3T. Her 3T gets nice height in her 2A-3T combo so I think it'd be a better bet than going for the 3L which almost always gets a <.

I'd love to see her hitting that 3A consistently again but as long as it's not at the expense of her other jumps. She's looking a lot stronger this season so hopefully she'll build on her nationals performance and put out two strong programs here in preparation for worlds.

SXTN

Final Flight
The second Loop in the practice video was << if you look carefully and stop the video at the right moment.

8-Triple-Program? Oh please...

3T
3A<<
3F<-3L<<
3Lz<
1S
3L-2L<-2L<
3F<-2L<

mary01

Final Flight
The second Loop in the practice video was << if you look carefully and stop the video at the right moment.

3T
3A<<
3F<-3L<<
3Lz<
1S
3L-2L<-2L<
3F<-2L<

:laugh: someone is pissed i see!

:popcorn:

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
No, I think someone is just realistic. There is slim chance Mao will skate with few downgrades with an eight triple program.

Mirunna

Record Breaker

3T
3A<<
3F<-3L<<
3Lz<
1S
3L-2L<-2L<
3F<-2L<

Huh? What is your problem? First of all that is not her jump layout, she most likely will keep her 2A-3T. You can keep your opinions about jump rotations after the competition, you know, when there will be an actual program to be discussed. I would also like to know why are you so sure she will single the 3S, I find it particularly interesting since she landed 3 out of 5 attempts this season. Maybe you know something we, mere mortals don't

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I wonder what her FS layout will be: if she wants to keep the 3Lo as the opening jump and the 3Lo+2Lo+2Lo combo, she needs a 3F+3T as the 3-3 combo, the same if she wants to do the loop as the solo jump in the SP (I don't think she's going to try the lutz in the SP!)...

NMURA

Medalist
I see some folks are really worried.:laugh:

Asada tends to skate well when she's having good practices. I think she will deliver satisfying performances (not needing much help from the judges). Mao's real problem is stubbornness. At the time of last year's worlds, she couldn't land any 3A in practice (reportedly 48 attempts). It is beyond ordinary people's understanding how she is devoted to that particular jump.

Krislite

Medalist
Her first 3Axel looked good. (less than 1/4 and would get full credit.) The 3/3's are suspect and I think she probably has a better chance of landing a fully ratified 3Axel than a 3F+3L. She doesn't need both anyway--just one or the other. Really looking forward to this weekend and Worlds, as she seems to be much improved over last season. :)

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you Mrs. P, doug_log, and inskate!! I very much appreciate your explanations!

I stand corrected after only a decade or so :eek:: on how many triples are allowed, in combo, and such in the ladies event! :biggrin:

And I very much appreciate each of you for taking the time to give me a thorough explanation!! That's what I get for only half-listening to Sandra Bezic as she enthused on Sarah Hughes's Olympic FS!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Just a small update: it was reported earlier that Mao was practicing 3F-3L and 3L-3L. Actually, it was 3F-3L and 3F-3T. ;) It was not reported yet which combo will Mao actually use in her program.

In an interview Mao said that her plan to attempt 3A and 3-3 here is fairly new and at the beginning of the season she wasn't sure she'd be able to land a 3-3 in her programs again. However, recently her jumps became more solid in practices. She doesn't think she's ready yet - she judges her 3A/3-3 to be about 60% ready - but she wants to attempt them here before she goes for them at Worlds.

Or a 2A 2A sequence. it's possible

It's possible for a lady skater to have 8 triples in her long program - but only if she has 3A and a 3-3. Basically, a lady skater can do 7 jumping passes, 3 of which can be combinations or sequences (one combo/seq can consist of 3 jumps) and she can repeat only 2 types of triples (the repeated triple must be in combination).

For example, let's imagine that a particularly talented lady lands:

3Lz-3T
3F-half loop-3S <-under current rules, this counts as a 3-jump combination and receives full base value)
3F
3Lz
3L
That's 7 triples already, and there's still 2 jumping passes left, including a combo! But what jumps would be actually allowed here? There are already 2 types of triple jumps repeated (Lutz and flip), so it can't be Lz, T, F, S, or L... Yeah, we have a problem. :) The only allowed triple would be 3A (probably attempted earlier in the program), and the remaining jumping pass would be filled with 2A in combo (or solo 2A and tack on the 2T or 2L elsewhere). A lady with no 3A could fill the remaining jumping passes only with 2A and 2A-2L (or 2A-2T).
Hope this helps. :)

It's allowed to use the same type of jump in a combo twice. So, for example, landing 3F-3T and 3F-2L-2L in the same LP would be just fine. Doing two solo triple flips, on the other hand, wouldn't be very smart, as the second one would be marked as +SEQ, receive 80% of base value, and use up one combo slot.:)

ETA: I was massively late with my reply.^^'

Or a 2A 2A sequence.

deedee1

Record Breaker
News clip. Mao 3A, Men SP drawing, Dai's new SP costume: www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkH8ewHENKE

Thanks a lot, let's talk! :)
What I am love about Mao this season is she looks healthy and seems always happy to be on ice. :yes:
Just look at 0:57 in this vid clip how thin and fragile she appeared at last season's 4CC...:cry:

I am glad she plans to go for harder/aggressive jump layout here. Trial and error. A win or lose, falls or no falls, you can't get anything unless you go for it at all, you know. Mao may crash and burn at the end of the day. But still not the end of the world. ;) Gooo Mao! :party:

Last edited:

Cherryy

On the Ice
I wonder what her FS layout will be: if she wants to keep the 3Lo as the opening jump and the 3Lo+2Lo+2Lo combo, she needs a 3F+3T as the 3-3 combo, the same if she wants to do the loop as the solo jump in the SP (I don't think she's going to try the lutz in the SP!)...

If she's really going for a 3-3 and a 3A in the long her layout would probably be
3L
3A
3F-3T
3Lz
3S
3L-2L-2L
3F

SXTN

Final Flight
If she's really going for a 3-3 and a 3A in the long her layout would probably be
3L
3A
3F-3T
3Lz
3S
3L-2L-2L
3F

OR

3T
3A
3F-3L

3Lz
3S
3L-2L-2L
3F-2L

She said she will try the Axel and the 3-3, so will most likely skip her 2A-3T.

The first Loop could be replaced by a 3T since the set-up is very similar.

(I left out the << signs after the jumps this time :laugh: )

jiggs

On the Ice
Just a theoratical question regarding the jump layout: If Mao plans to do 8 triples but for example misses the 3a and instead doubles it in her performance, she would have to leave out another planned triple, right?

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Just a theoratical question regarding the jump layout: If Mao plans to do 8 triples but for example misses the 3a and instead doubles it in her performance, she would have to leave out another planned triple, right?

No, why should she do that?

Mirunna

Record Breaker
OK sorry I was confused there. I thought she would zayak if she turned the 3a into a double but that is not the case, obviously.

No, Zayak rule means she can't repeat a triple/quad jump more than once(and one of them must be in combination) and she can repeat a maximum of 2 triple/quad jumps. Plus, at least one axel jump is mandatory in the Lp.(and maximum two 2A). If she had planned a 3A and two 2A in her programs than yes, doubling the 3A would have her doing three 2A which is against the rules that's not Mao's case.