Practice reports?) | Golden Skate

Practice reports?)

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I'm so happy that Hanyu and Dai brought up Kevin, that's the kind of respect overdue from Skate Canada.

I hope Kaetlyn and Zijun Li both deliver two flawless programs! and Gold and Mao.

And for all the teams/skaters, Go for a great competition!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm so happy that Hanyu and Dai brought up Kevin, that's the kind of respect overdue from Skate Canada.

I hope Kaetlyn and Zijun Li both deliver two flawless programs! and Gold and Mao.

And for all the teams/skaters, Go for a great competition!

Yes! Wonderfully classy of them. Of course, they can truly respect his pushing the technical envelope and having arguably the hardest jump layout of the men (other than maybe Javier).

I have hopes for the Chinese girls too... Kexin was one of my faves at World's last year and it appears Zijun is ready to be a podium contender.

I'm also hoping Mao can put together a clean skate. She's had a lot of trouble over the season and even though it's led to wins, I'm sure she'd like to win with a solid set of skates.

deedee1

Record Breaker

Kevin gets lots of love and respect from skating fans in Japan, too! :) Hope he has two nice skates and gets onto the podium. Go Kevin!

Here is a short news clip on Japanese men aired last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7co4fD5k6U
On Takahashi's new SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPqDXkkBzxE

As for Japanese ladies, scheduled to be aired tonight. :)

Cherryy

On the Ice
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130207-00000055-dal-spo
This one says that Asada is going for a 3-3. I guess it would be the 3F-3Lo in the FS. In today's practice session, she landed the 3-3 three times along with the 3A.

Jump layout on paper?

3A
2A-3T
3F-3Lo
3Lz
3S
3Lo-2Lo-2Lo
3F

Thanks! :bow: If you have any additional information please tell us :).
Her 3-3 could also be 3F-3T for number of reasons.
And I don't think her jump layout would be like this because there's too little time for the first jump she does, a 3L. So more probable is 3L, 3A, 3F-3L/T, 3Lz, 3S, 3L-2L-2L, 3F. And probably one more 2L added to either 3S or 3F. But WOW, that's still an 8-triple program! :eek:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I'm excited. Would be awesome if she can land those planned jumps.

I would be happy if she lands her 3-3 again or her 3A. At this point she has to go for broke, try everything and get used to do them in the competition. It's not gonna be the end of the world if she loses the title here. It's Sochi she'll want to win :) I don't expect to see miracles from this competition.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Practice report translated into English by ppsk8live-Thank you!

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=133772160125319

Thank you demarinis5! And thank you ppsk8live!! :biggrin:
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130207-00000055-dal-spo
This one says that Asada is going for a 3-3. I guess it would be the 3F-3Lo in the FS. In today's practice session, she landed the 3-3 three times along with the 3A.

Jump layout on paper?

3A
2A-3T
3F-3Lo
3Lz
3S
3Lo-2Lo-2Lo
3F

8 triples? Is that allowed in the women's event? I thought 7 was the limit. I could swear Sandra said that during Sarah Hughe's Olympic FS in 2002. Or perhaps I heard her wrong?

Just the same-an ambitious jump layout for Asada! I'd love it if Mao delivers and that ALL the jumps are ratified-her TES would be through the roof!

Check out Mao's 3F-3L! I think that second loop is looking mighty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-uaZrhXFkM

So it could be something like:

SP: 3A 3F-2L 3L
LP: 3L 3A 3F-3Lo 3Lz 3S 2A-3T 3F-2lo-2lo

I thought repeating a jump (in this case the 3F) in combo was not allowed? Or does a sequence not count as a combo?

Thanks for the vid! I love that Mao is going for everything she's got in her arsenal. Not just a 2A-3T but a 3A and a 3F-3T! She's doing what she has to do to WIN! Sigh-I wish some of the American skaters had a 3A in their arsenal. After Meissner I thought surely someone else would try but alas.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
8 triples? Is that allowed in the women's event? I thought 7 was the limit. I could swear Sandra said that during Sarah Hughe's Olympic FS in 2002. Or perhaps I heard her wrong?

The only rule is that you can only repeat 2 triples and that the repeated triple be done in combo (otherwise it will be scored as a SEQ). 7 jumps is the limit because most of the ladies do not do a 3A, so with five jumps and two you can repeat = 7 triples.

If Mao does 3A, she has room for one more triple. She is repeating the flip and the loop. Or she could repeat the flip and the toe loop depending on which 3-3 she wants to do. 6 triples plus 2 repeats = 8 triples.

doug_log

On the Ice

I thought repeating a jump (in this case the 3F) in combo was not allowed? Or does a sequence not count as a combo?

Sasha'sSpins:

Just to clarify...

1. Skaters (men and women) can do as many triples as they like, but they can only repeat two different triples (Zayak rule, which also applies to men). Therefore, if a woman performs all the triples EXCEPT the triple Axel, then the maximum she could do is 7. If a woman performs a triple axel in addition to all the triples, then the maximum she could do is 8.

2. You can repeat a jump, but one or both of the repeated jumps must be in combination with other jumps OR in a sequence in order to receive full credit. If a jump is repeated but neither is in combination, the jump performed subsequently will be given a base value of 80% as if it were done in a sequence.

3. Mao's planned 3F-2L-2L is not a sequence; it is a three jump combination.