Sochi Olympics will test gay rights | Golden Skate

Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

IOC only seems to care about money, apparently. :(

There is no way they should allow Russia to ban Pride House from the Olympic village.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
From the article, it looks like the IOC is saying that it is Russia's business whether it has a Pride House or not, which IMO is cowardly of them. They obviously can't get a new location for the games this close to the event, but in an event celebrating all the athletes of the world, I find a message that says, "Well, not some athletes...," to be completely not in the spirit of the Olympic movement, IMO.

Even Weir is offering this advice to athletes:

If he makes the Olympic team, Weir doesn't want to make an issue of his sexuality, he said. For him, the Olympics should be about sport and competition. But he does have advice for gay athletes unfamiliar with the culture.

"My advice would be: Watch what you do when you leave the Village, don't be aggressive, don't wear a big rainbow flag fur coat. If you don't call attention to yourself, attention won't come to you."

IndieBoi

On the Ice
It's about acknowledging that yes-homosexuality does exist... even in the elite sports level, celebrating diversity, and championing equality. All of which the Olympic movement should be behind of IMO.

ETA. Very proud of Vancouver to have taken such a bold stance! :clap: :thumbsup: :rock:

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
As unfortunate as this is, it does reflect that the world is still evolving on this issue. Ten years ago this controversy could have taken place in the US, and even today a third of our population would probably oppose a Pride House at a US-based Olympics.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
^^^^It might depend on which US city it would be near...but the Westboro Baptist Church would be likely to put in an appearance, I think.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
It's about being inclusive, non-heterosexual athletes already have a hard enough time as it is.
Where? Who? The only one who had hard time in Sochi at GPF was that Canadian whose organic chicken wasn't delivered, as C-media reported, which caused his bad skating there. :biggrin: I am sure athletes will be busy with their competitions. I seriously doubt that any of them are bringing costumes and banners for gay parades in front of Iceberg to test how Russian law works. It's just journalists are writing their nonsense, same as usual.

TonyaHardlyEver

Rinkside
Sochi Olympics will test gay rights
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2013/02/06/russia-gay-rights-sochi-olympics/1897021/
"I love Russia and there is nothing that will change that," Weir said. "I'm a true patriot and spokesperson for their country. It's appalling they can censor their public, but I try to do everything I can. I have been in talks with different LBGT organizations in Russia with how I can help."

For the love of God! I am gay as a goose but I am sooo sick of hearing about Equality and Gay Rights in every aspect of our day to day lives! Can we not even enjoy The Olympics without making it a platform for politics? It's ok to be ourselves and express ourselves freely but one doesn't have to act like a complete clown 24/7 like Weir. It seems he is an attention seeker that worries more about his image than his skating skills. Rudy Galindo was eccentric and flamboyant but he knew when to behave. Gay or not people who act like court jesters will get on anyone's nerves after a while.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Russia hosts major events of every kind every year and I have not heard of any man or woman being arrested because they were gay. Russia has said no to a Pride House and the big deal is? Oh no Russia is not having the Olympics be a teaching moment!! How horrible.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
For the love of God! I am gay as a goose but I am sooo sick of hearing about Equality and Gay Rights in every aspect of our day to day lives! Can we not even enjoy The Olympics without making it a platform for politics? It's ok to be ourselves and express ourselves freely but one doesn't have to act like a complete clown 24/7 like Weir. It seems he is an attention seeker that worries more about his image than his skating skills. Rudy Galindo was eccentric and flamboyant but he knew when to behave. Gay or not people who act like court jesters will get on anyone's nerves after a while.

Weir seemed rather thoughtful on this issue IMO. The fact that the Pride House will not be in Sochi after being a part of the last two villages, in addition to the recent LGBT issues in Russia, should raise some eyebrows. Although you are gay and tired of the equality issue, apparently some gay athletes feel differently and their concerns should be addressed.

vpcanada

Spectator
Actually it isn't "ok to be [y]ourself and express [y]ourself freely" when it is illegal to do so in Russia. Jonny Weir's eccentric dress and attitude has nothing to do with his homosexuality. Last I checked, Madonna is heterosexual and she is just about as out there as Weir. Insulting him on a skating forum is probably a bad call.

prettykeys

Medalist
Whoa, really, I agree with you, but why are you attacking Weir over it? He seems to agree with you as well.

Re-quoting what doris already quoted:

If he makes the Olympic team, Weir doesn't want to make an issue of his sexuality, he said. For him, the Olympics should be about sport and competition. But he does have advice for gay athletes unfamiliar with the culture.

"My advice would be: Watch what you do when you leave the Village, don't be aggressive, don't wear a big rainbow flag fur coat. If you don't call attention to yourself, attention won't come to you."

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

....what?

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
As a gay male, I find it sad when other gay men are self-loathing and homophobic. I won't name names, but there is evidence of such a presence on this thread.

The article reminds, though, of what I find so maddening about Weir. He has no commitments to any values other than self-promotion (and fur coats).

The notion that the Olympics should not be "about politics" but "only" about sport is premised on the superficial and false idea that politics isn't always already present. Sporting events are, nearly by definition, safe places for gender-conforming heterosexuals in the contemporary (at least Western) world. Having an inclusive and welcoming space (what I imagine is one room in the entire Olympic village) for LGBTQ athletes is simply the tiniest step toward equality for all people.

If one believes that there is no problem and doesn't see what the big deal is, I can only assume that one has never been a gay person at a sports event.

Last edited:

TonyaHardlyEver

Rinkside
As a gay male, I find it sad when other gay men are self-loathing and homophobic. I won't name names, but there is evidence of such a presence on this thread.

The article reminds, though, of what I find so maddening about Weir. He has no commitments to any values other than self-promotion (and fur coats).

The notion that the Olympics should not be "about politics" but "only" about sport is premised on the superficial and false idea that politics isn't always already present. Sporting events are, nearly by definition, safe places for gender-conforming heterosexuals in the contemporary (at least Western) world. Having an inclusive and welcoming space (what I imagine is one room in the entire Olympic village) for LGBTQ athletes is simply the tiniest step toward equality for all people.

If one believes that there is no problem and doesn't see what the big deal is, I can only assume that one has never been a gay person at a sports event.

I despise the term "homophobic". It implies that there is an automatic fear of gays. Why not just say that certain people just get on your nerves! This standard issue "self-loathing" thing is another PC term. One doesn't hate themselves just because they don't like certain personalities. I am gay but I have NOTHING in common with Weir other than skating. This doesn't automatically make me homophobic or self-loathing. It is just that some of his actions make me uncomfortable and annoyed. Nothing more. Weir won't make the Olympic Team anyway so this is void.

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist

The notion that the Olympics should not be "about politics" but "only" about sport
Johnny Weir did NOT say it should be "only" about sport. He seems to want the emphasis to be on it, however. At any rate, he already said things that show he is dedicated to issues beyond just self-promotion. Once again, I have to re-quote a quote of his that has already been posted on the thread:

"I love Russia and there is nothing that will change that," Weir said. "I'm a true patriot and spokesperson for their country. It's appalling they can censor their public, but I try to do everything I can. I have been in talks with different LBGT organizations in Russia with how I can help."

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

It's not a political platform to want equal treatment. With Russia's stance on LGBT people -- outlawing public same-sex displays of affection or pro-gay displays, it wouldn't be okay to be oneself and express oneself freely. And yet, the Olympics are supposed about diversity and inclusiveness. If you go to an Olympics and there is a risk of being persecuted for who you are -- Munich 11, anyone? -- then there is a serious problem with that.

I actually think Weir is a relevant person to speak about this seeing as how he's gay but also loves Russia. Russia saying no to a Pride House is basically saying that LGBT athletes aren't welcome at the Olympics and are essentially second-class visitors -- unless, of course, they hide who they are which would be as cowardly as the IOC is on this issue. "When they choose a country that's homophobic, they send a message to the world and to gay athletes, among those messages is, 'if you're not out, stay in the closet.'" So true, but ironically, it's not as if the same couldn't be said about Salt Lake City, eh...

TonyaHardlyEver, as a gay person to say you're so sick of hearing about equality and gay rights is homophobic, ignorant, and kind of pathetic. That's something that might not directly affect you but it does affect many people like you... it's like a well-to-do person of colour saying "I'm so sick of hearing about racism, does that even exist anymore?". I don't see anything wrong with Weir speaking out about it, and he's hardly a clown (sorry if he's not masc, or 'straight-acting' enough for you...). You're essentially saying you hate that Weir is a gay who's getting involved in a gay issue just because he's being his flamboyant, gay self ... but "Rudy knew when to behave", as if that was by his choosing. It's hilarious that you're denouncing Weir for not "toning it down" so to speak when that's exactly what he's advocating against gay athletes having to do in Sochi!

The Olympics are a venue for political issues, too. What, you think Beijing thought they could have a nice, little old sporting event without anyone bringing up China's human rights issues? It's important not just for LGBT people but the world progressing as a civilized society in accepting all people of all creeds, races, genders, orientations. If that's not something that is inherently fundamental to the Olympics, I don't know what is.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Pride houses are Vancouver and London and never existed before then. Now they have to be in every village or it's extreme hate of gays?