19 Han YAN CHN

20 Misha GE UZB

21 Kevin REYNOLDS CAN

22 Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN

23 Yuzuru HANYU JPN

Last edited by a moderator:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Is the draw like in Euros, skaters between first two groups and then the last two? I guess I didnt know his Isu standing.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Is the draw like in Euros, skaters between first two groups and then the last two? I guess I didnt know his Isu standing.

ETA, I'm talking about dance because there are fewer teams, and I still can't make sense of it. How can I make sense of the men???????

It may be even more random at 4CCs. It's hard to fathom with 13 teams competing, how in dance, Yu&Wang, who haven't reached the minimum TES in either the SD or FD, skate AFTER Virtue & Moir Yu&Wang should certainly be in the first group, with the 3 teams that have no ISU standings points. O'Brien & Merriman, who actually made it out of the SD at Worlds last year, should be in the 2nd group.

But I thought it was supposed to be like Euros :confused: ??

More research. It still doesn't make sense, from either a season's standings, or ISU standings point of view:

Davis & White 7th (over 3 years 1st)
Virtue & Moir 8th (2nd)
Gilles & Poirier 15th (52nd)
Chock & Bates 20th (25th)
Reed & Reed 22nd (19th)
Shibutani & Shibutani 25th (8th)
Nagornyak & Kovalenko 32nd (48th)
Orford & Williams 33rd (33rd)
O'Brien & Merriman 47th (43rd)
Yu & Wang 48th (23rd)

No Rank given for the following three teams, which got their TES qualifying scores at Senior B's.
Moreno & Moreno MEX
Hirai & De La Asuncion JPN
Oi & Mizutani JPN

So if you use season's standings, Yu & Wang should be in the first group, and if you use the 3 years' standings, Gilles & Poirier should be in the first group.

Even more :confused:

Last edited:

Yes.

Lowest ranked skaters are drawn in the first and second group.

Higher ranked skaters are drawn in the third and fourth group.

It's quite silly, IMO. Just have lowest ranked in the first, higher ranked in the second, even higher ranked in the third and highest ranked in the fourth to avoid situations like V/M skating in the penultimate group. They should do the draws the same way they do it at the Grand Prix Series.

They were quite lucky with how the Men SP draw turned out with Takahashi and Hanyu skating at the end. :)

As far as Ge in concerned, he was top 10 at 4CC last season and won two silver medals at international competitions. This season he won a silver and a gold medal at international competitions. Hence his decent ISU ranking.

Country
Russia
The draw at all ISU championships is the same.
1. No rating.
2. Lower rating.
3. Higher rating (two last warm-ups).

If there are more than 4 warm-ups, there is one more group between 2 and 3 - higher but not two last warm-ups.

Misha Ge has not so low rating, he is 33rd (because of Senior Bs). Higher him are many europeans, 6 Japanese skaters (only 3 of them are at 4CC) etc.
So he is in Top12 (of 23 total) at 4CC.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Alex Rus, What is the guideline between "lower rating" and "higher rating" for those 2 draws?
Do they use the World rankings.

Would dance work this way?
13 teams, 3 unrated.

It looks to me like the unrated teams were in one draw, and the other 10 teams, who had ratings, drew as a group.

Is that how it works?

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think Yuna will skate among the first 15 skaters at worlds. If they do it like euros.

Country
Russia
Alex Rus, What is the guideline between "lower rating" and "higher rating" for those 2 draws?
Do they use the World rankings.

Would dance work this way?
13 teams, 3 unrated.

It looks to me like the unrated teams were in one draw, and the other 10 teams, who had ratings, drew as a group.

Is that how it works?

Rule 579 SPECIAL REGULATIONS & TECHNICAL RULES
the Skaters will be divided into two approximately equal parts with the higher ranked Competitors being drawn in the second part (thereafter called the part “skating later”) and the lower ranked Competitors and Competitors with no ranking being drawn in the first part (thereafter called the part “skating earlier”)
Rule is complicated enough, citation is only about 2 draws.

We see at 4CC:
1st group - three without rating.
2nd group - three with places 38-52 in World Standing.
3rd group - seven with places 1-33,

Because of lack of competitors, "the best form two last warm-ups" is impossible.

6 “skating earlier” (3 with no rating skate first, 3 with low rating skate after them) and 7 "skating later" (it is according to the rules - if the number of Skaters cannot be divided equally by two, the part “skating later” will include one Skater/Pair more than the part “skating earlier”).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thanks, very informative, but very strange rule. The ISU should think about this again.

Country
Russia
Thanks, very informative, but very strange rule. The ISU should think about this again.

It works good if 30 competitors (singles), i.e. 5 warm-ups. It was so always at Worlds and Euro after qualification.
Some skaters of no rating (in fact they all are of not so high level, higher level earn rating at Senior Bs or JGP Events).
After them - skaters with low rating.
3rd warm-up (second half) - better skaters before best.
Two last warm-ups - best skaters.

If number of skaters is significally lower - results are strange.

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
Go Max Aaron, Ross Miner, and Elladj Balde! And especially Daisuke Takahashi!!! :clap: :biggrin: Good luck to all the guys, can't wait for the competition to start!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Mens SP Friday 2/8 4:40 AM ET

Mens FS Saurday 2/9 3:55 AM ET

Why don't they do the same thing as during the GP and base the starting order on the world ranking?

seniorita

Record Breaker
You mean all skaters to go by ranking? And what about the ones they are not ranked yet?
I like the draw between groups, skaters not to skate always with the same order in their groups.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Sorry, doris, for the direct link ><, and thanks a lot for editing my post! :)