2013 4CC Men-Short Program | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2013 4CC Men-Short Program

Im another in support of Martinez!! That performance was my favourite of the event, a nice 3a and those spins were really something, that biellmann position was so extended! and he is actually from the phillipines!:rock:

He started skating very late and was initially coached by his mother, I think. He still trains most of the year in the Philippines where he doesn't have access to high level coaches and where I imagine the conditions are far from optimal.

So it's absolutely incredible he's managed to achieve so much already!

It would be amazing, if he managed to secure funding to train in the US full-time.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Moonlight should have been saved for another year. It's too late in the year to be changing to another SP Even Dai's spins were lacking. In the last one, he travelled badly. He was gifted to be as high up as he is.

I think his standing was alright, but I kind of agree about it being too late to change SPs, I wonder what the thinking was. Instead of focusing on Worlds he's going to be spending quite a bit of time working on the program, plus even if he improves on this performance (as I expect him to) he's not going to have as much mileage on it as Patrick and Yuzuru are going to have on their SPs. Hopefully everything works out in the end.

That program doesn't really need mileage, though. ;P

I really hope that if YAN Han placed above SONG Nan, he ends up getting sent to both Junior and Senior Worlds.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
That program doesn't really need mileage, though. ;P

I really hope that if YAN Han placed above SONG Nan, he ends up getting sent to both Junior and Senior Worlds.

wouldn't that be too much of a burn out ?
even Maxim is not doing both Jr. and Sr. Worlds

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
He started skating very late and was initially coached by his mother, I think. He still trains most of the year in the Philippines where he doesn't have access to high level coaches and where I imagine the conditions are far from optimal.

So it's absolutely incredible he's managed to achieve so much already!

It would be amazing, if he managed to secure funding to train in the US full-time.

doesnt he train most of his time in the US already ? with Ilia Kulik

Some skaters handled that well (doing both Junior and Senior Worlds) in the past. I guess it all depends on whether him and his coaches feel he is up for it.

Looking through the protocols now and some of the scores for Takahashi were quite generous. That 4toe should have been a clear -3 (no steps, step out, hand down), for example.

Rogozine got really shafted skating so early, both on the GOE and the PCS. :(

doesnt he train most of his time in the US already ? with Ilia Kulik

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012802.htm

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Can those who saw Kevin Reynolds tell me if he actually has become a mid-7s skater? Because for the life of me I cannot imagine a skate where he'd be only 3.5 points shy of Takahashi's PCS.

Can those who saw Kevin Reynolds tell me if he actually has become a mid-7s skater? Because for the life of me I cannot imagine a skate where he'd be only 3.5 points shy of Takahashi's PCS.

Decent choreography, he seemed to be skating to the music and was quite expressive.

But his basic skating is still very weak in comparison to skaters like Hanyu, Yan and Takahashi and his posture and lines are subpar as well.

So again, a case where PCS variation should have been applied.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Ziggy said:

That doesn't sound like that good an idea. Song beat Yan at chinease nationals, so it's not as if you couldn't make an argument for Song going. Besides, Yan had a rough Junior season so far and was ill. Doing both Junior and Senior worlds sounds tiring and stressful. If at all, let him go to seniors and pass on Junior worlds. (Yan had some health problems last year too, if I remember correctly. I don't think he'd handle doing both so easily.)

I'm not happy with Dai's new SP. The Stroll wasn't a masterpiece, but at least it stood out and had a different style compared to his LP. It was fun. Maybe if it hadn't been for the mistakes I'd like it better, but for now I'm nothing more than lukewarm on his new SP. And the next comp he's going to skate it will already be at worlds. If Hanyu, Chan and Fernandez deliver at least reasonably well, they're pretty much going to beat Dai with that programm (of course, especially Hanyu).

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Also, pretty cool to have the top six/final group for the LP from four countries.

Ziggy, so would you say Reynolds got the two-quad bonus?

Country
Russia

I agree.

As for me - yes, great jumps (if nonURed), and nothing more.

Rogozine - about the same as Reynolds (minus potentially great jumps).

Ziggy, so would you say Reynolds got the two-quad bonus?

Yes. And he did make quite a good impression overall. Jumps were landed (albeit <), he sold the program quite well so the judges saw the overall performance as of a high standard.

Even though whilst some things about it were top drawer, some were really lackluster. But since judges never vary the marks, you just get this overall 'this was good' mark.

lavender

Record Breaker
Exactly. Only Japan has as much depth the difference being their top skaters are more consistent and at the top right now. The US sure has a heck of a lot more depth then say Canada where it's Chan and everyone else.

I agreee.

LOL...I can't get over the results but we will see. Not a fan of any of our US guys but with no pressure at all they will probably do better in the long. The only thing is that when I think about it, not even all the top guys are here so I just don't know how they will place at worlds. I see them even further down if they make even one stumble.

Last edited:
I don't think Dornbush will hold it together in the FS. There's a huge gap between him and Aaron but if Aaron lands his jumps, he can still come on top.

dyu

Rinkside
Yuzuru got home advantage. Han Yan is much better. He is def future in men's skating.

Yay for Donbush! Hope he brings his talent back in LP, too.

Sorry for Dai, but his new SP isn't fresh at all.

Can't wait to see LP tomorrow :)

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really liked Martinzez and Dornbush's programs. I don't see Hanyu's SS being better than Tak so I am surprised how high his pcs are BUT that being said the Tak was way overmarked. I wonder how Chan would have done. Aaron looks a bit ho hum in this field = without the big tricks he is rather well "flat". Too bad about Ross; he'll come back. I do see a marked improvement in canada's Reynolds. We should not judge appearance but there is something offsetting about his hair still and his costume colors could work better but I do see huge improvements artistically and program wise. He definitely could challenge the American men.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
dyu said:
Yuzuru got home advantage. Han Yan is much better.

I wished pepole would add why they think like that and how scores should have been in their eyes.

Yan is definitly not "much better" than Hanyu. Hanyu easily has the better spins, a better Axel (because of that amazing counter), and his Quad still tops Yan's too. Even moreso than that, Yan doesn't have the CH, TR, PE and especially IN (some of that will come with time, I'm not too sure for the interpretation though). I've no idea how this might look in the future, but for now, Hanyu is definitly the better skater, even with a popped Lutz.

And about that "he's the future"-thing - Yan is 15 months younger than Hanyu. I'm not seeing at all how Yan will so surely surpass Hanyu to be the future of men's skating :unsure:

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker

I think Kevin has improved greatly this year. In fact, he is perhaps underrated and cannot completely escape his past reputation.

By the time Sochi rolls around, I think we are going to see quite an upheaval in the men's field, with all this abundant talent ready to blossom and give the current favorites a run for the money.

Last edited: