Davis/Ladwig end partnership | Golden Skate

Davis/Ladwig end partnership

ice coverage

Record Breaker
LINDSAY DAVIS AND MARK LADWIG END PARTNERSHIP

(2/7/13) - Pairs skaters Lindsay Davis and Mark Ladwig, 2013 U.S. pairs pewter medalists, announced they have ended their partnership. Davis has expressed interest in finding a new partner, while Ladwig is exploring various options.

Full press release here:

tulosai

Record Breaker
LINDSAY DAVIS AND MARK LADWIG END PARTNERSHIP

(2/7/13) - Pairs skaters Lindsay Davis and Mark Ladwig, 2013 U.S. pairs pewter medalists, announced they have ended their partnership. Davis has expressed interest in finding a new partner, while Ladwig is exploring various options.

Full press release here:

All of the US pairs are so stupid. How can they possibly expect any results if they are not willing to stay together more than 9 months? Unbelievable.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
In general, I agree with you. But, in this specific case, I don't think the partnership had much potential. They had no chemistry, and Mark was just too old to start a new partnership. Chances of them making the 2014 Olympic team were slim, and I don't think Mark would have lasted until 2018. At their first competition this season, I was quite shocked how bad they were, it was actually embarrassing that the federation would put a team like that out at a GP event.

At their first competition this season, I was quite shocked how bad they were, it was actually embarrassing that the federation would put a team like that out at a GP event.

What did you expect from a team that only skated together for a few months?

I think that they were actually doing really well for the short time they've been training together. Their performances at Nationals were very decent.

hanca

Record Breaker
Is it just his age to blame? I mean, Chinese Zhang is also pretty old (in skating terms) and have just started new skating partnership, but they seem to be doing reasonably well. I don't think it was just age that was problem in Lindsay and Mark's partnership.

oh, rats.

Really distressing to see that no one in American pairs seems to get any traction. I don't know why this partnership didn't work out, so I'm not blaming anyone. I just wish, sigh, that people could find compatible pairs when they are, say, nine years old and keep going until they're thirty or so. It makes rooting for an American pair very difficult. And I did so love Evora and Ladwig.

Thank goodness for ice dancing. (And bring back Tai and Randy!)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I respect them both and wish the best for them. But this is the right thing to do. Mark needs to transition over into opertunities on the other side of the boards in skating and LD needs to try and find a partner she can take years with and develop. Mark is not a rich man and has a family to support. We all know skating is super expensive unless you get support from Kellog or Nike....I think it is time to say goodby. Good luck all!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Time for Mark to retire me thinks. He has had a fine career and been a great ambassador for pairs skating in the U.S. She has potential for a bright future in the sport, wish her the best.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
oh, rats.

Really distressing to see that no one in American pairs seems to get any traction. I don't know why this partnership didn't work out, so I'm not blaming anyone. I just wish, sigh, that people could find compatible pairs when they are, say, nine years old and keep going until they're thirty or so. It makes rooting for an American pair very difficult. And I did so love Evora and Ladwig.

Thank goodness for ice dancing. (And bring back Tai and Randy!)

:agree:

Sorry to read this news. I was annoyed that NBC didn't bother to show their free skate, at least. Reminds me of the travesty of NBC not showing Amanda & Mark's free skate from 2009 Nationals in Cleveland (the cameras weren't rolling in time for national TV). Amanda & Mark were spectacular in their free skate @ those Nationals, and made it to the podium, not to mention that they received a very enthusiastic standing ovation from many in attendance.

I do wish Lindsay & Mark all the best. I thought their Nationals exhibition program was charming.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
How old is Rockne before we thinkhe would work well with Lindsay. I am not sure it will be the pair matching. Sadly in some ways while they aren't terrible the current state of American pairs is abunch of no names switching partners and you can't brand anyone as being special, unique - they are good but not great bad enough that an injured team gets the second spot to world's.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
How old is Rockne before we thinkhe would work well with Lindsay. I am not sure it will be the pair matching. Sadly in some ways while they aren't terrible the current state of American pairs is abunch of no names switching partners and you can't brand anyone as being special, unique - they are good but not great bad enough that an injured team gets the second spot to world's.

Rockne is 26. Still young enough for another try with a new partner, but I think it would be his last.

If you look at the top 10 or so pairs in the world, the men are mostly in their mid-to-late 20s/early 30s (exceptions--Cipres 21, Klimov 22). So Rockne fits into that picture. Those guys are already in established partnerships, though, whereas he'll be starting new again.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Rockne is 26. Still young enough for another try with a new partner, but I think it would be his last.

If you look at the top 10 or so pairs in the world, the men are mostly in their mid-to-late 20s/early 30s (exceptions--Cipres 21, Klimov 22). So Rockne fits into that picture. Those guys are already in established partnerships, though, whereas he'll be starting new again.

This. I think he has a major Olympic dream (and understandably so) so I could see him sticking it out through 2018. I think he is young enough to do so and try with a new partner, but I agree with you the hope would have to be this partner would be his last. I really feel bad for him because I think he is actually the most talented american pairs male skater of the past 2 Olympic quadrennials but he has just not had luck with his partners.

lavender

Record Breaker
Maybe Mark should try teaching but the article is saying he's still searching for a new partner.

Icey

Record Breaker
She is 20 and has already been through 3 partners. I would think that would cause some men to take pause before partnering with her.

tulosai

Record Breaker
She is 20 and has already been through 3 partners. I would think that would cause some men to take pause before partnering with her.

I literally know nothing about her previous partnerships but I think it really depends A LOT on how they ended (to include but not be limited to who initiated the breakups, reason(s) for the breakups, and how exactly the breakups occurred). Rockne is older but has already been through 4 partners.

In addition she is in fact only 20. Between 14-18 lots of pairs break up due to height/weight or logistical reasons which may have been out of her control.

However, if you know something about the circumstances of her breakups that is enlightening and reflects badly on her, please let me know. As I say, I know nothing about any of them but this one.

clairecloutier

Final Flight

Well, I wouldn't hold it against her too much, unless there's further information showing she was the problem.

In North America, it's not uncommon to go through quite a few partners. For example, Caitlin Yankowskas is on her third partner. So is Meagan Duhamel. Sometimes breakups are beyond your control (as happened to Caitlin when Coughlin ended their partnership).

Lindsay has nothing on Taylor Toth, who is now on his sixth partner!