2013 4CC's Ice Dance SD | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2013 4CC's Ice Dance SD

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I don't think I would have advanced so far in my career without the struggles I went through over the years.

That's not the same. They don't have the luxury of time. And you can't compare a professional career to a sport career. In sport, doesn't matter how hard you try, sometime you still fall short.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That's not the same. They don't have the luxury of time. And you can't compare a professional career to a sport career. In sport, doesn't matter how hard you try, sometime you still fall short.

Um of course. Athletes fall short. I get it. But you're saying they'll never rise above their struggles. I don't agree. Let's just agree to disagree.

And what the heck? No time? They are only 18 and 21! If their time is up, man...I guess the rest of the Ice Dance field might as well not bother....

noidont

Final Flight
Shibs' SD is just absurd. How is that polka in any conceivable way?
It will be a sad world when C/B and G/P become US and Canada's No.1 next quad. Both teams lack chemistry. I/K is so going to dominate the next quad...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
It will be a sad world when C/B and G/P become US and Canada's No.1 next quad. Both teams lack chemistry. I/K is so going to dominate the next quad...

W/P are still there, I doubt G/P will pass them so easily

auser

Record Breaker
Yes, they changed their SD from Mary Poppins to their current one. When they were at COR, it was only a few weeks old, so they've been behind the 8 ball a bit.

And I agree, sometimes growth requires struggle. I don't think I would have advanced so far in my career without the struggles I went through over the years.
An intriguing reply, too bad I can't ask you to elaborate here;). I should have made clear re: Shibs growth, I was also referring to their willingness to take chances this season. Change music, explore beyond the beautiful, ballroom restraint of their World bronze winning Sr debut season 2 yrs ago. This is how they will evolve their artistry as dancers. IIRC, last season people complained that their programs were too
safe, had not matured enough. Now I think they are exploring that artistic growth. Which as you pointed out, does not always come without struggles. I am looking forward to see where they continue to go.
Thanks for all your stats, BTW

wishonastar

On the Ice
W/P are still there, I doubt G/P will pass them so easily

I agree. And I wouldn't say that C/B are locked in as Us No. 1 for the next quad either. Shibs have had a difficult year. Maybe they should go to Igor and get the technical down. And then they would have him for them, rather than against them.

The free dance will be very interesting-D/W need to skate clean but they have come from behind before and can do it again!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I agree. And I wouldn't say that C/B are locked in as Us No. 1 for the next quad either. Shibs have had a difficult year. Maybe they should go to Igor and get the technical down. And then they would have him for them, rather than against them.

The free dance will be very interesting-D/W need to skate clean but they have come from behind before and can do it again!

there are new junior ice dancers coming up Mcnamara/Carpenter comes to mind easily
maybe Aldrige/Eaton will also be successful next quad

wishonastar

On the Ice
there are new junior ice dancers coming up Mcnamara/Carpenter comes to mind easily
maybe Aldrige/Eaton will also be successful next quad
And I guess we shouldn't write H/D off too quickly. The US has many teams, all with strengths and weaknesses..

Mao88

Record Breaker
SHORT DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS (updated)

1. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 75.12 Short Dance , 2nd Copy
2. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 74.68 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
3. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES (USA) - 65.44 Short Dance
4. Maia SHIBUTANI & Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 63.26 Short Dance
5. Piper GILLES & Paul POIRIER (CAN) - 60.20 Short Dance
6. Cathy REED & Chris REED (JPN) - 53.97 Short Dance
7. Nicole ORFORD & Thomas WILLIAMS (CAN) - 53.70
8. Danielle OBRIEN & Gregory MERRIMAN (AUS) - 48.81
9. Emi HIRAI & Marien DE LA ASUNCION (JPN) - 44.72 Short Dance
10. Anna NAGORNYUK & Viktor KOVALENKO (UZB) - 43.32
11. Xiaoyang YU & Chen WANG (CHN) - 43.17
12. Bryna OI & Taiyo MIZUTANI (JPN) - 33.90 Short Dance
13. Pilar MAEKAWA MORENO & Leonardo MAEKAWA MORENO (MEX) - 33.37

Complete Short Dance: Part 1, Part 2

Last edited:

Possum Glider

Rinkside

Wow I thought it was only me but I had my mother- a ballroom dancer check the tempo of their selected polka piece and she said the tempo is to slow for a polka but it seems somewhat across the board for the top couples it is seen as pushing the boundaries to use non traditional music, ignoring tempo and timing, the same attempt for lower ranked couples it pushing up daisies.

auser

Record Breaker
SHORT DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 75.12 Short Dance
2. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 74.68 Short Dance
3. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES (USA) - 65.44
4. Maia SHIBUTANI & Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 63.26
5. Piper GILLES & Paul POIRIER (CAN) - 60.20
6. Cathy REED & Chris REED (JPN) - 53.97
7. Nicole ORFORD & Thomas WILLIAMS (CAN) - 53.70
8. Danielle OBRIEN & Gregory MERRIMAN (AUS) - 48.81
9. Emi HIRAI & Marien DE LA ASUNCION (JPN) - 44.72 Short Dance
10. Anna NAGORNYUK & Viktor KOVALENKO (UZB) - 43.32
11. Xiaoyang YU & Chen WANG (CHN) - 43.17
12. Bryna OI & Taiyo MIZUTANI (JPN) - 33.90 Short Dance
13. Pilar MAEKAWA MORENO & Leonardo MAEKAWA MORENO (MEX) - 33.37

Complete Short Program: Part 1, Part 2
Thank you once again for your amazing resourcefulness:clap::bow:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Just saw both V/M and D/W's programs. I don't see where is the problem with D/W in second. Charlie messed up the non touching step sequence. The +2 they got on that element was absurd. V/M should actually be even higher. I would take D/W's program any day but today V/M were better.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Tessa and Scott!! :yay::love: I'm SO happy that they did it!
Maeryl and Charlie: good job, but he did a mistake in the StSq, so their placement it's absolutely correct, they even received a higher PCS than V/M!
I'm a bit sad for Maia and Alex, but I can't really get that SD, even if it improved a lot since the beginning of the season...

KKonas

Medalist
Wow I thought it was only me but I had my mother- a ballroom dancer check the tempo of their selected polka piece and she said the tempo is to slow for a polka but it seems somewhat across the board for the top couples it is seen as pushing the boundaries to use non traditional music, ignoring tempo and timing, the same attempt for lower ranked couples it pushing up daisies.

This is the problem I have with the Shibs SD, especially the use of non traditional music for a polka that really makes it hard for judges to recognize that it is supposed to be a polka. You can use non traditional music for other some other specific dances and I can appreciate them wanting to go "out of the box" but this was not the program to do it.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
"So here they are - apart from Torvill and Dean, maybe the finest dancers I have seen"

Still, a lovely sentiment, something you'd expect from Tracy Wilson, so pretty cool coming from B. Eurosport - which one was it?