2013 4CC's Mens FS | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2013 4CC's Mens FS

Mirunna

Record Breaker
By default? Not a fair assessment in my opinion. He went out and won it. It is a competition and on this day he was the best.

Yes I sounded harsh, I am sorry. He did went out will all guns blazing and he was the only one not shaking in his boots and actually enjoyed being on the ice(he and Misha Ge). My point is he is not the best skater in this competition overall and if Yuzuru/Dai performed their best, Kevin's best would not have been enough. I am just sad about Yuzuru and Dai, that's all. Kevin was great today and fun to watch. Even if the scores are strange overall I think the standings are fair and this is all that matters.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN) - 250.55 Free Skate
2. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 246.38
3. Han YAN (CHN) - 235.22
4. Max AARON (USA) - 234.65
5. Richard DORNBUSH (USA) - 234.04
6. Nan SONG (CHN) - 228.46
7. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 222.77
8. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 218.08
9. Ross MINER (USA) - 214.36
10. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 201.99
11. Misha GE (UZB) - 201.71
12. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 197.26
13. Yi WANG (CHN) - 195.01
14. Christopher CALUZA (PHI) - 186.79
15. Abzal RAKIMGALIEV (KAZ) - 185.81
16. Michael Christian MARTINEZ (PHI) - 178.08
17. June Hyoung LEE (KOR) - 176.39
18. Elladj BALDE (CAN) - 176.33
19. Jin Seo KIM (KOR) - 171.01
20. Min-Seok KIM (KOR) - 137.63
21. Brendan KERRY (AUS) - 134.26
22. Jordan JU (TPE) - 121.11
23. David KRANJEC (AUS) - 115.82

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just catching up... following the competition by reading the thread, so thank you all for your commentary.:) Otherwise, I'd be in the dark about how things unfolded.

Quick thoughts:

Skating is becoming much more of a "on any given day" type of sport. On any given day, lesser-known skaters can steal the show and the medals. The top-tier skaters simply have to perform on the day of competition, and if they don't... Who would have guessed that all three American's would have placed above Takahashi in the FS? On paper that should never have happened... but on the ice, it was a different story.

The trend of rewarding outstanding technical merit continues. We've now seen this in Europeans, US Nationals, Canadian Nationals (Keven Reynolds was a relative unknown until that performance), and 4CC. We all hope to see difficulty and style married... but pretty skating all on its own isn't enough.

Max Aaron is the real deal. Yep... 10th in SP, but all the way to 2nd in the FP, and with mistakes, at that. Obviously, Kevin Reynolds is also the real deal.

At US Nationals, during an interview discussing his comeback attempt, Lysacek said he felt that there were only about 5 men he thought could win the OGM. Now, I do hope Evan comes back... but there are way more than 5 men who could win the Olympics. On any given night...

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
OMG!!!
I was hopeful that Kevin might,perhaps, sneak in for the bronze, but he actually won??
I'm soo happy!! Wow!!
I can't believe I fell asleep and missed the last group when the stream crashed. :(
But no one can take away the fact he won!
*still in shock*

starryxskies

On the Ice
At US Nationals, during an interview discussing his comeback attempt, Lysacek said he felt that there were only about 5 men he thought could win the OGM. Now, I do hope
Evan comes back... but there are way more than 5 men who could win the Olympics. On any given night...

Evan will really need his quad to even make the team.

jaylee

Medalist
....bizarre results. I did not see that coming.

I have to say that Kevin Reynolds has improved his presentation a lot over the past few years. But improvement doesn't explain the PCS he got tonight. :unsure: He still has way too many issues for me to agree with that PCS. I guess it's the three-quad bonus/boost.

I'm just checking in. I can't bear to look back after seeing the last two pages. What happened to Daisuke? Look where he is in the results. I can't stand it. Poor Daisuke.

Congratulations to Kevin, though. How nice for him to have a win.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN) - 250.55 Free Skate, Interview
2. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 246.38 Free Skate
3. Han YAN (CHN) - 235.22 Free Skate
4. Max AARON (USA) - 234.65 Free Skate
5. Richard DORNBUSH (USA) - 234.04
6. Nan SONG (CHN) - 228.46
7. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 222.77 Free Skate
8. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 218.08
9. Ross MINER (USA) - 214.36
10. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 201.99
11. Misha GE (UZB) - 201.71
12. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 197.26
13. Yi WANG (CHN) - 195.01
14. Christopher CALUZA (PHI) - 186.79
15. Abzal RAKIMGALIEV (KAZ) - 185.81
16. Michael Christian MARTINEZ (PHI) - 178.08
17. June Hyoung LEE (KOR) - 176.39
18. Elladj BALDE (CAN) - 176.33
19. Jin Seo KIM (KOR) - 171.01
20. Min-Seok KIM (KOR) - 137.63
21. Brendan KERRY (AUS) - 134.26
22. Jordan JU (TPE) - 121.11
23. David KRANJEC (AUS) - 115.82

Medal Ceremony (Part 1), Medal Ceremony (Part 2)

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evan will really need his quad to even make the team.

I predict he'll need one in short and two in long. His PCS will be great, but the pace of technical advancement has become really noticeable. As we've seen, PCS is not always enough to chase down a superlative jump-filled skate.

starryxskies

On the Ice
I predict he'll need one in short and two in long. His PCS will be great, but the pace of technical advancement has become really noticeable. As we've seen, PCS is not always enough to chase down a superlative jump-filled skate.

That's the standard nowadays so I'm confident he'll need no less. We might even see 3 quads in the FS if Kevin makes big strides at Worlds. If Evan doesn't meet the standard, I don't understand why he would even bother coming back. He got OGM, he should just leave it at that.

yude

Record Breaker
Wow!! Kevin!! Congratulations on your winning 4CC, but where was 3F-3Lo which I was looking forward to:laugh:? He looked very happy on the podium and I'm happy for that.

I don't know what happened to Daisuke, but I believe he will come back in good shape to Worlds.

KKonas

Medalist
My issue with his program is the long nap in the middle of it. Many could back load their programs if they pretty much stopped and rested for a minute. Flow and stamina ought to be factored in to the score. Also the choreography is like he is making it up as he goes along.

Then why don't they? Because it does take stamina to back load programs, and you get more points that way.

Cherryy

On the Ice
A strange thing: out of 13 edge calls, 10 were for the flip, only 3 for the lutz. Why is that? All the guys that received an "e" on the flip landed a 3Lz correctly. :unsure:

Icey

Record Breaker
The skating world is being turned topsy turvey By the time of Sochi the old guard is going to face a lot of competition.

TeddyBear

Spectator
Reynolds was amazing. o_O As I watched him skating, I felt he was almost angelic. o_o (I know, a bit stupid association of thoughts.) I liked Aaron and Yan very much, too, only if the latter hadn't fallen that badly... But Hanyu and Takahashi... Ayayay, they were actually disappointing, even though the former won the silver medal.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Dai is bombing, Kevin won! I am in absolute shock. Japan Figure skating federation should not have sent Dai and Yuzu here, I've said yesterday. They needed a break after that nail biting nationals. You can see they are exhausted from all the pressure and the media.
Patrick Chan who? Ah, is this perhaps the biggest upset in figure skating history? Someone said 80 for pcs and guesss what 80 on the button and really guys while he is not Dai or Chan he has really upped his level of skating sure it helps when you skate clean and fairly fast.. give him credit but did he peak too soon? I am wondering if thejudges will give him alittle more credit because sometimes I feel he gets undermarked. Skate Canada must be thrilled; still a shocker - great job by Max aaron but really this is a momen tin history bigger than Liz Manley's oly silver or Maria Butyrskaya's or Kimmie Meissner's world titles. Just a shocker - Canada was hoping he would be in the top ten or eight at worlds. Yes, the big guns fell but still.

Who do you think should have won? (Honest question, not meant as bickering or something like that).

To answer your question, I'd have to mark every single skater in both SP and FS and then calculate the results and since I don't have the ISU software, I'd have to do it all manually, which would take a month. ;)

if i know correctly, kevin's jump basic point is the highest in this season.

and he cleaned that tremendous program.
So i think his pcs is rewarded for the high level components
i think it is rightful, his pcs was similar with Hanyu and takahashi who have some mistakes
before, announce the score I worried about he would have damage in pcs, go down the rank lower than hanyu, but fortunately it did not happen. :yes:

PCS has nothing to do with the jumps.

A strange thing: out of 13 edge calls, 10 were for the flip, only 3 for the lutz. Why is that?

Because there were 10 lips and 3 flutzes? What is strange about it?

All the guys that received an "e" on the flip landed a 3Lz correctly. :unsure:

Why should those two things be related? Those are two different jumps.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Congrats to Kevin! Yuzu was so boring. Diasuke?!! I really hope he will be in good shape in London..

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I'm just checking in. I can't bear to look back after seeing the last two pages. What happened to Daisuke? Look where he is in the results. I can't stand it. Poor Daisuke.

Congratulations to Kevin, though. How nice for him to have a win.

It was sad to watch Olympia. We may never know what happened. I am waiting to hear his press release.
Usually Dai does not give excuses other than "I made a lot of mistakes" which is true he did. My advise don't watch his FS.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am crying right along with John Curry, Robin Cousins, Toller Cranston, Kurt Browning, Alexei Yagudin, Stephane Lambiel, Jeffrey Buttle, Jeremy Abbott, Matt Savoie, and Ryan Jahnke. :cry:

I think Jeremy has enough to cry about than this. But I have to say whle Reynolds is no Lambiel, Chan, Buttle, Tak,Hanyu or Fernandez he isn't horrific. Dai was way off.. This will motivate Kevin to work on his skating skills. I also wonder, I thoughtis 4S was more reliable. I wonder if he could drop a trple for the quad. Even with a fall wouldn't he score better?