Schedule & TV Streams Junior Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Schedule & TV Streams Junior Worlds

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Winnie_20, Welcome to Golden Skate! Post long and often :)

And that is a good question. It might have something to do that Eurosport in different countries carry different things, but all use the same search database?

The assumption would be that my process as a TV watcher would be:
1. When is that figure skating on?
2. The search function says Wedsnesday at 5 pm.
3. Check my local Eurosport listings. Snooker.
4. Rats. Snookered again
5. Check Russian Eurosport for Wednesday AHH! There it is. Now how do I get it..

Each Eurosport website has a different search database. This can be seen by searching for "skating" on British Eurosport's website, and comparing their results to the results for the same search on any other Eurosport website:

British will have a couple of skating programmes on Eurosport 1. All the other Eurosport variations will only have skating programmes on Eurosport 2.

I had to go through 4 different websites to construct the list that I posted yesterday:

http://tv.eurosport.com/ (for International's schedule)
http://tv.eurosport.de/ (for Deutschland's schedule)
http://tv.eurosport.fr/ (for France's schedule)
http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/ (for British's schedule)

In each case, I used the search facility to get the start times, and then went through each day to get the finish times, and check had anything been missed out. It was very time consuming, and I know fine well that what is actually broadcast will be totally different to what is on my list. But, it is better to have a rough guide to when something might be on than just going in completely blind.

Before the Europeans, I did look up Eurosport Russia's schedule ( http://tv.eurosport.ru/ ). But, when I saw it was in Cyrillic, I thought "Ah, this is going to be too complicated to find the skating. I'll just stick with doing 4 schedules."

Usually, International, Deutschland and France have the same schedule. I've never watched ESP France, so I don't know how much they derivate from the published schedule.

On the other hand, I have watched ESP Deutschland quite a lot over the years, as ESP1 Deutschland is Free-To-Air on satellite. ESP Deutschland quite frequently gives priority to LIVE Handball (what?!) matches (as opposed to the highlights being shown on International) over what is being shown on the International schedule. And, as Winnie_20 says, live Bundesliga matches.

British is usually totally different to International. And I hate that!

When Setanta GB closed down a few years back, British Eurosport bought the British rights to a lot of sports they showed. It was mostly stuff that Eurosport never showed before, like cricket. However, Eurosport does not have the pan-European rights to these sports. So, British gives them priority over whatever is being shown on International.

The result is us British Eurosport viewers are missing out on a lot of stuff that is being shown on Eurosport International. Take ski jumping: British Eurosport has NEVER shown the Men's Summer Grand Prix series or the Ladies World Cup competitions live. We have got highlights of a few of the competitions, but not many.

And, for the figure skating, we usually get a lot less coverage than our counterparts on the continent get.

I don't know if there is a particular reason why, but on British Eurosport this winter, biathlon and the bobsleigh-type sports (luge, skeleton, etc.) have been getting priority over other wintersports that are being shown on International.

Also, whenever there has been snooker on this season, whereas other versions of Eurosport have left it to go to other sports (eg. ski jumping), British Eurosport has tended to stay with the snooker. As I snooker fan in the UK, I'm not complaining as I can watch the other sport on the computer and record the snooker on the TV. But, it must be very annoying for those continental snooker fans who do not have access to British Eurosport on the computer.

One thing that really winds me up is when you are watching something on, say, ESP2 and then the commentator suddenly announces that it is about to switch to ESP1! :eek: Or vice-versa. If you are recording it to watch later, it means that you miss the end of it. That has happened to me plenty of times with the snooker. :mad:

I have long believed that to get rid of all this variation and confusion, Eurosport needs to become a 3-channel network:-

Eurosport International 1: a multi-soundtrack, single-video, Free-to-air channel showing sports ESP has pan-European rights to. (Teleshopping when off-air overnight). Can be viewed continent-wide.

Eurosport International 2: a multi-soundtrack, single-video, Free-to-air channel showing sports ESP has pan-European rights to. (Teleshopping when off-air overnight). Can be viewed continent-wide.

Eurosport National (known as ESP France, ESP Deutschland, British ESP, etc. in respective countries): a collection of single-soundtrack, single-video, subscription channels showing sports ESP only has national rights to (eg. MotoGP in UK and Fr; cricket in UK; Bundesliga in De; rugby in Fr). (Eurosport News when off-air overnight). Each channel can only be viewed in its designated country.

Also, if there is an extra channel, there will be less need for the powers-that-be to switch a programme from one channel to another! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

PS. You can usually get Eurosport Russia on http://livetv.ru/en

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The assumption would be that my process as a TV watcher would be:
1. When is that figure skating on?
2. The search function says Wedsnesday at 5 pm.
3. Check my local Eurosport listings. Snooker.
4. Rats. Snookered again
5. Check Russian Eurosport for Wednesday AHH! There it is. Now how do I get it..

Ah! I just worked out what went wrong for you!

I was looking at the on-screen listings for tomorrow on the TV there now, and saw that the figure skating was on at 4pm, and the snooker was on at 5pm.

Then it suddenly dawned on me.

When you were using the search facility, were you by any chance on Eurosport International's website ( http://tv.eurosport.com/ )? Because, on Eurosport.com, the schedule is in Central European Time. (This is because Eurosport is based in Paris, and France uses CET).

Then, when you went to the local listings, it probably gave the schedule in Greenwich Mean Time, as that is the international standard.

And, since CET is 1 hour ahead of GMT, that would explain why the snooker was on at 5pm on one set of listings, and the skating was on at 5pm on the other.

Incidentally, the times on British Eurosport's website ( http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/ ) are given in GMT.

Any time I have copied Eurosport schedules onto here, I have kept the listings in the time zones for their respective countries, so as not to cause confusion to any forum members in those coutries. So, the times for International, Deutschland and France are all in CET, but the listings for British are in GMT.

So, just to clarify the times for tomorrow's broadcasts, here is a cut-down version of my schedule message:

Eurosport International (All times CET)

Wednesday 27th February 2013
ESP2 17:00 – 18:00 Short Dance
ESP2 20:00 – 22:45 Pairs Short Programme LIVE

Eurosport Deutschland – Same as Eurosport International

Eurosport France (All times CET)

ESP2 17:00 – 18:00 Short Dance
ESP2 20:00 – 22:45 Pairs Short Programme LIVE

British Eurosport (All times GMT)

BES2 16:00 – 17:00 Short Dance
BES2 19:00 – 21:45 Short Pairs LIVE
BES2 21:45 – 22:45 Short Dance

So, there is no need for English-speakers to switch to the Russian Eurosport.

But, if you do want the Eurosport broadcast in Russian, click the link I gave at the end of my last message, then click on Broadcasts at the top of the page. A page listing different sports will appear. Click on Winter Sports, and then click on the figure skating broadcast you want. And, hopefully, there will be at least one link to a stream (there isn't always!)

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If I can get a British Eurosport stream, I always prefer that :) but I have great fear of soccer or snooker running over into, since well am I aware that skating will get short shrift.

vera01

Final Flight
So they're only going to show last part of the SD, which means, they're showing group 5&6&7?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
If I can get a British Eurosport stream, I always prefer that :) but I have great fear of soccer or snooker running over into, since well am I aware that skating will get short shrift.

Having been watching the snooker so far this week, I don't think you'll have much to worry about. None of the matches (even the long ones) have run past 4pm GMT, which is when Eurosport are planning on showing the SD highlights.

Russian Eurosport is what is available on TVTeka. So we have no choice.

Ah, that's unfortunate. There are always other livestreaming websites, which have Eurosport with the English soundtrack. But, whether they are viewable in Russia is another matter!

On the subject of Russian channels, I was wondering, are any of the other Russian channels showing the Junior Worlds live? For example, Спорт-2 or Россия-2, which normally show the senior events. I've just looked up some of the links that have been put up for these channels in the past, and they're not showing the SD live yet anyway.

For that matter, does anybody know if RAI is showing the Junior Worlds live in Italy? (Or, to put it another way, are LaRiserva going to be able to put videos up on YouTube of the performances that Eurosport aren't showing! ;) :biggrin: )

CaroLiza_fan

Ah, that's unfortunate. There are always other livestreaming websites, which have Eurosport with the English soundtrack. But, whether they are viewable in Russia is another matter!

Free streaming websites are usually available everywhere. But no point looking for unreliable, low quality streams when you can have a high quality stream with the ability to watch on-demand later from TVTeka.

And I'd much rather not hear Simon's incredibly stupid ramblings, which make me wanna throw my laptop out of the window. :p

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Free streaming websites are usually available everywhere. But no point looking for unreliable, low quality streams when you can have a high quality stream with the ability to watch on-demand later from TVTeka.

Ooohhh!!! High Quality AND On-Demand?! That sounds brilliant!!!

I take it for service like that you have to pay, though.

Although the free streams are handy for when British Eurosport are not showing the same as Eurosport International, in an ideal world, I would still prefer to watch on an actual TV. But, I've already explained why earlier in this thread!

And I'd much rather not hear Simon's incredibly stupid ramblings, which make me wanna throw my laptop out of the window. :p

Yeah, I know what you mean about the ramblings (not just from Simon, but Chris and Nicky as well)! :biggrin: But, I wouldn't go as far as wanting to throw the TV out the window! :eek:

But, if I am not able to watch full coverage of the skating anywhere, I would still prefer to listen to somebody speaking my own language, rather than listen to Russians/Italians that don't know that they are supposed to stop talking when the music starts!!! (That REALLY winds me up!!! :mad: :bang: )

That was why I was so happy during the Europeans when some videos appeared on YouTube with no commentary whatsoever! But, even they weren't perfect (eg. no noise from the audience in the first couple).

At the end of the day, you just gotta make do with what you can get.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:
Anybody has any decent British Eurosport links in case their coverage is better than Eurosport Russian and International (like during 4CCs)?

But, if I am not able to watch full coverage of the skating anywhere, I would still prefer to listen to somebody speaking my own language, rather than listen to Russians/Italians that don't know that they are supposed to stop talking when the music starts!!! (That REALLY winds me up!!! :mad: :bang: )

Russian Eurosport commentators don't usually talk at all during the programs.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Anybody has any decent British Eurosport links in case their coverage is better than Eurosport Russian and International (like during 4CCs)?

I used to use www.day.to , but it closed down the week after the Europeans. But, if you click on the link, it will re-direct you to the new address for the site. ;)

The picture quality isn't normally great, so if that is what is more important to you, you'll be better sticking with TVTeka. ;)

Russian Eurosport commentators don't usually talk at all during the programs.

Mmmm. That's interesting. I was basing that comment on my experiences watching Спорт-2 and Россия-2. So, Eurosport's Russian commentators are more considerate, then. That'll be good to know for the future. ;)

Thanks for the info, and good luck with your viewing tonight

CaroLiza_fan

The picture quality isn't normally great, so if that is what is more important to you, you'll be better sticking with TVTeka. ;)

Which is why I said 'in case their coverage is better than Eurosport Russia/International.' But so far it looks like the coverage is the same everywhere. Still you never know, there are often last minute changes so better be ready just in case. ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Really? I've never found that. In fact, I much prefer watching streams with Russian or Italian or European commentary since they DO tend to shut up when the music starts, unlike the stupid American and Canadian commentators that natter on and on and on during the programs and won't shut up for even a moment (yes, I KNOW Joshua Farris broke his leg at Nationals two years ago, EVERYONE knows that, you mentioned it 3029876439286729867 times already, NOW SHUT UP!)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
American commentators are also bad about talking about other skaters while a different skater is skating. I swear, at Nationals, all I heard about was Gracie Gold and Max Aaron for the entire last group of ladies and men. Like seriously, there were so many great performances from those final flights of ladies and men yet the judges seemed fixated on bringing up Gold or Aaron at least once, and usually it was a lot more than once, during every one of the other skaters performances! I get that Gracie and Max both threw down amazing programs but honestly, can't you say something about the skater on the ice? Given it's the final flight, they are all pretty accomplished and noteworthy skaters... :slink:I quite like the British Eurosport guys though! So entertaining!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Hem~~I would rather be happy having the chance to watch the video in whatever language they comment rather than complaining the commentators.

Remember, when the commentators are speaking a language you don't understand, it means you are not the intended audience. Nobody force you to watch. I appreciate the fact these TV networks didn't seek for copyright infringement to take the videos down from Youtube (in that case, no free video, and I may never get a chance to see the competition).

In addition, commentators' job is to comment. If they keep silent, they will be fired.

I have to take back what I said about the Russian Eurosport commentators. They were being extremely annoying during the Ladies SP.

Russian Eurosport is not showing the Free Dance unlike Eurosport International. And tomorrow they are not showing the Men at all and only a very short part of the Ladies. I can't believe it, given how big figure skating is in Russia. It means I have to resort to some crappy free feed. :(

Damnit why does my TV have to be broken. :(

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Is there going to be any stream at all for the Men's LP? Such a wonderful battle it will be, and we will miss it! :(

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hem~~I would rather be happy having the chance to watch the video in whatever language they comment rather than complaining the commentators.

Remember, when the commentators are speaking a language you don't understand, it means you are not the intended audience. Nobody force you to watch. I appreciate the fact these TV networks didn't seek for copyright infringement to take the videos down from Youtube (in that case, no free video, and I may never get a chance to see the competition).

In addition, commentators' job is to comment. If they keep silent, they will be fired.

Whoa! Calm down!

I think you are missing the point I was trying to make. Which is probably my fault, as I had written extensively about it before in a different thread a couple of months ago, and couldn’t be bothered repeating it all! :slink:

For the following paragraph, I am going to use the times from today’s Junior Ladies FS, as that is the handiest competition to find the times for. But, the same principle applies to the short programmes, and to the senior competitions.

Each competitor is given an 8-minute time slot, of which 3m30s is the performance. So, that leaves 4m30s, which is plenty of time for the commentators to talk about the competitor and to dissect their routine. In addition, if the broadcaster does not use the time to insert adverts, they also have the warm-up session to do a more extensive introduction of each of the competitors.

Frankly, if the commentators kept silent, it would be very hard to follow the competition! ;)

I don’t even mind the odd comment during the routine, if it helps the viewer to understand what is going on.

What I do not like, though, is when the commentators start talking in between routines, but continue on talking well into the routine. In some cases, they talk a full minute into the routine! And 1 minute is a large proportion of the Long Programme, never mind the Short Programme!

I don’t know their names, but there is one Italian woman and one Russian man who are consistently guilty of this. And the worst of it is, from the little bits that I can understand, on a lot of the occasions when this happens, they are not even talking about the competition we are watching! They are talking about the standings in other categories, or how their own country’s skaters are doing in the various categories. This really winds me up!

I quite like the British Eurosport guys though! So entertaining!

Thankfully, the British Eurosport commentators are not like that. And I like them too. Simon is good to explaining things for those of us who are not technically minded. And, with being a fan of the sport for so long, he can bring up information from competitions that were held before most of the current (senior!) skaters were born! :laugh:

Chris isn’t too bad either. I like the way he can give us mere fans an insight into what it is like from the skater’s perspective. And at least he is honest in that, being a singles skater, he makes no secret that he does not know much about ice dancing.

I have to admit that Nicky annoys me at times (but not always). He is like Chris in that, being an ice dancer, he doesn’t pretend to be an expert in singles or pairs skating. But, he tries to apply things from ice dancing to the other categories. And it doesn’t always work.

We all have our pet hates, and that is fine. But Nicky makes comments based on his so often that it’s got to the stage that you are almost waiting for him to comment about one of the following:

1. Costumes not suiting the music
2. No continuity in costumes between partners
3. What somebody’s arms are doing (or not doing)
4. “He’s not presenting his lady. You’ve got to present your lady! She’s a beautiful woman, so he should be making sure the audience is in no doubt of that…”

Now, to be honest, I can see his point on most of these things. But, hearing the same comments so often gets a bit boring.

So far in these Junior championships, the only one we have not yet heard is the one about presenting your lady. And, given that we have only singles competitions left, it looks like we will not hear it.

He wouldn’t use it in the gala, would he…?!

But, I don’t want this thread to turn into a discussion about commentators. So, let’s get back to the subject:

Is there going to be any stream at all for the Men's LP? Such a wonderful battle it will be, and we will miss it! :(

Eurosport 2 International, 16:00 – 17:30 GMT (i.e. BEFORE the Ladies FS)

British Eurosport 2, 21:15 – 22:45 GMT (i.e. AFTER the Ladies FS)

So, it's just a case of which time is more suitable for you. Personally, I think I'll go for the later one, as that is the one where I can watch on the TV. ;) :biggrin: (Sorry for rubbing it in, Ziggy!)

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
So, the first streaming will show the last group of the men FS live, right?