4CC Ladies Free Skate | Page 18 | Golden Skate

4CC Ladies Free Skate

SkateNater

Match Penalty
Protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2013/fc2013_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

The GOE that she got for the 3A was not only not positive, but -2.43. The previous poster was questioning the positive GOE she got on her 2A+3T< combo (which was an astonishing +0.07 :sarcasm:).

UR sign is only -1 to -2 GOE so she likely only got -1 for it since it wasn't a severe UR. Also, it's a combination and the DA was more than fine. The GOE on that element seems in line. It shouldn't have been hugely positive, but the deduction has some variance built in so the other qualities of the jump pass made up for it. The DA in that combo was actually first rate.

Whoever gave her +2 for that pass was smoking the same thing the judge who gave Suzuki +2 for her Flutz was smoking.

I misread a little. Thanks.

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
Aww, too bad nerves seem ot have gotten to Osmond. Her season up to this point has been so good it has been sort of unreal. I still loved her Carmen though. I hope she takes home the lesson she has learned here at 4CC and be better mentally prepared for Worlds! She has so much potential!

Great job Zijun! She really seems to have the mental toughness and competitive spirit necessary to be succeeding at the top level. Great technical content, but I really hope she'd work with a dance instructor to improve the quality of her movement and carriage. She has some lovely qualities, but there just seems to be a general lack of tension throughout and she still comes across rathe powerless compared to the other top level skaters. Until she works on the core strength her skating will always appear a little less impressive than it could've other wise been and her PCS will stagnate.

Last edited:

SkateNater

Match Penalty
Does anyone get the vibe that "sometimes too much is too much" with regard to Osmond's programs? She tries to do way too much in her program, like those junior skaters who pop up with a program that looks like a footwork sequence in an attempt to milk the code for all the points they can get. I think she has good qualities, but sometimes less is more and her programs look rather frantic to me (LP more so than SP).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
:disapp:

Not unless Mao Asada, Yuna Kim, Carolina Kostner, Ashley Wagner, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, and Akiko Suzuki all crash and burn. You don't finish in the Top 5 at the World Championships with 2 falls, regardless of where it's held. Period.

For comparison, Mao fell ONCE at last year's Worlds and ended up sixth.

how do you know ? Osmond got 115+ in Canadian soil at SC with 1 fall, Worlds generally will get inflated as its near end of the season
Osmond with 2 falls will probably score 118+ in LP at London, though its shwing Osmond isnt taht much of nerves of steel as others have said
she can implode too but she is lucky its home soil so Top 5 is lock for her

yuki

Final Flight
:disapp:

Not unless Mao Asada, Yuna Kim, Carolina Kostner, Ashley Wagner, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, and Akiko Suzuki all crash and burn. You don't finish in the Top 5 at the World Championships with 2 falls, regardless of where it's held. Period.

For comparison, Mao fell ONCE at last year's Worlds and ended up sixth.

Yes, but Mao also popped (doubled or singled) a lot of jumps in the FS, which killed her base value (and was ultimately more costly for her than falling on rotated triples).

I don't think that Kaetlyn will be top 5 at worlds, but top 10 is very doable for her as long as she doesn't implode in the FS, as her SP has been quite good all season.

rosacotton

Final Flight
Congratulations to the medalists!

Zijun was the highlight for me. Lovely program and music. Look forward to seeing how she grows.

I feel really sorry for Gracie. I wish all the pressure and expectations for her to be a champion NOW would back off so she can be allowed to simply settle into being a senior for the moment.

shine

Record Breaker
Osmond with 2 falls will probably score 118+ in LP at London, though its shwing Osmond isnt taht much of nerves of steel as others have said
And your claim is based on one single sample point. How intelligent.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
Seeing Osmond not being scored very highly I was thinking people would finally lay off of her but I guess that was too much to ask for. She hasn't competed on the senior international level long enough to have an established pattern of how the judges will mark her. There is no need to panic that she will be handed all sorts of freebies at Worlds. I'm sure Skate Canada is putting loads of pressure on her and I really hope her team does the best they can to protect her from that. Let her be a contender for 2018 and in the meantime just make a name for herself.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Zijun was the highlight for me. Lovely program and music. Look forward to seeing how she grows.

I feel really sorry for Gracie. I wish all the pressure and expectations for her to be a champion NOW would back off so she can be allowed to simply settle into being a senior for the moment.
I agree. This girl hasn't been allowed to just settle into being a Senior skater. Instead all this hype about her being the savior of US Ladies skating has just been ridiculous. Maybe people will now back off and leave her alone and let her grow as a skater at her own pace now.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:unsure:

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
To join the Gao, Gold debate:
I think Gold has better quality overall, but she needs more experience and time to grow. She has beautiful lines and great jumping techniques; she will also unlikely gain lots of weight like Mirai. But when we put great hopes on her, don't forget she just debuted her senior national this year.
The thing I dislike Gao most is her posture, though it has been better. Maybe she is too thin, her head-neck-back line always distracts me from her skating. By the way, someone pointed out her SP this season is almost identical to Karen Kwan's 1996 program http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ0xJoshfkw. Anyone knows the reason?

Laughing Man

Rinkside
But, whatever the naysayers still need to complain about, Mao is a real champion! :love:
The development from the beginning of the season until now is just incredible. Even if she didn't fully rotate all of those triples by now, this was her first attempt at a 8-triple program, and for that she did really well. Both calls on the 3A and 2A-3T were quite strict (though justifiable), maybe another caller would have given credit to those jumps. If she continues on like she did this season, and keeps getting better, she might really manage a 8-triple program in Sochi! :bow:
You can never count out Mao, never ever. Since 2010, she has reworked her jumping technique, and additionally even made progress in other areas too. And despite my initial reaction, I even like her new dress.

Very happy for Akiko and Kanako. Both had amazing skates. There was so much beauty in the ladies competition. Worlds will be so exciting!

Chrisitina did really well too. Hopefully, she will continue like that next season and will show the USFSA who's boss :biggrin:

ITA. Congrats to all the medalists, plus Christina and Zijun for a fine skate (luv them both :love:).

I'm not going to praise Mao even though I most definitely would like to, cause I'm sick of some people labelling me here as a Maobot. But I will say one thing; even with the URs and the edge call, Mao's performances in this competition moved alot of people and I think that means something.

If figure skating performances do not touch our hearts, what's the point in watching this sport anyway? Yes, fully rotated jumps with proper edges should be rewarded more than those which aren't since this is a sport. But otoh, figure skating is also a performance. It's a sport in which the audience also plays an important role. That's precisely why there are PCS; scores which I believe can only be subjective even with guidelines. As they are human, the judges will hand out PCS based on their impressions on a performance, just like the audience will evaluate a performance based on how it made them feel.

IMHO, I am sick of some 'fans' debating whether a jump was fully or under rotated. It's close to impossible to make that out when you're in the audience watching the skaters live. The audience can be moved or be amazed by what the skaters do, even if there's a slight UR here and there. Falls, step outs or other visible mistakes will distract appreciation and can ruin a performance more or less, cause those kinds of mistakes distracts them from the performance, making the audience feel down and sorry for the skaters. In other words, they're pulled back into reality from the beautiful world the skaters are trying so hard to create on the ice. But if not DGs, some slight UR or an edge call will not distract them at all. I've had my share of seeing competitions and ice shows live even in the best arena seats, so I know this as a fact.

Some of you seem to enjoy watching slo-mo vids over and over to accuse skaters of URs and wrong edges. I find that quite meaningless to be honest. We're not judges, we're not tech callers, we're not even critics so what's the point? It makes me wonder if those who do so really love this sport or care about the skaters. I think we should try to accept the skaters based on how their performances touched our hearts a bit more. Many of the girls touched my heart in various ways in this competition, I'm simply grateful to them. I'm sure they're all aware of their weak points much more than we do, and are trying to overcome them to become a better skaters. So what's the point in critisizing them so harshly?

I'm not against debating or discussing how you all feel about about the skaters and their performances. It's fun and that's what fans do. But concluding what some skaters cannot do in the future, pointing out how bad they are at what they do, and trying so hard to convince others to think in the same way seems nothing more than ego based childish talk to me. I'm not saying all of you here are like that. But some of you certainly are. I truely hope the skaters do not bother to access this forum and read such posts.

I have many of the same feelings, Laughing Man. Not that I want to say anything against mathematics, but I don't watch skating to contemplate decimals. If I want to do that, I can practice doing column addition. When I watch skaters, I want to see skating. That includes both the technical and the performance aspects. Skating to me is process of two-way communication between the skater(s) and the audience. It's done to music. If we're only to watch the rotations, don't bamboozle me with music.

leafygreens

Final Flight
Gold also bombed, while Gao was relatively clean, so I'm failing to see your point...

They both fell here yet Gao still beats Gold... Gold fell at nats yet beat Gao by a long shot. You know good and well what the point is. Gold-flation is alive and well in the U.S.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They both fell here yet Gao still beats Gold... Gold fell at nats yet beat Gao by a long shot. You know good and well what the point is. Gold-flation is alive and well in the U.S.

Gracie may have only fell once but almost all her jumps were not clean so she got marked down bigtime that's why she lost to Gao. At Nationals she was totally clean in her LP. There is no big conspiracy here.

jan

On the Ice
So you are assuming that the judging panel will be made up of all canadian judges? Very silly to make the claims you are making. It will be an international panel....I am sure that 2 falls will not get a top five placement.

Im late but wow, Congrats to Mao, she's back ! :love:

Im shocked Osmond didnt get overscored, but then again this wasnt held in Canada
but I am almost certain even with 2 falls, Osmond will be in Top 5 at Worlds as it i will be held on home ground and the inflation will be back

sad for Gracie :cry:

aero

On the Ice
LADIES FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 205.45 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 190.08 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 181.03 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Christina GAO (USA) - 176.28 Free Skate
5. Zijun LI (CHN) - 170.42 Free Skate
6. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 166.66 Free Skate
7. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 159.38 Free Skate
8. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 158.99 Free Skate
9. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 155.08 Free Skate
10. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 148.34 Free Skate
11. Julianne SEGUIN (CAN) - 146.58
12. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 134.90
13. Reyna HAMUI (MEX) - 123.69
14. Chantelle KERRY (AUS) - 118.11
15. Crystal KIANG (TPE) - 109.15
16. Yeon Jun PARK (KOR) - 106.79
17. Melissa BULANHAGUI (PHI) - 106.36
18. Lejeanne MARAIS (RSA) - 105.06
19. Melinda WANG (TPE) - 96.95
20. Ami PAREKH (IND) - 88.39

Thanks for posting this :) I've been looking forward to seeing Li's program.