Vintage Kurt | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Vintage Kurt

noskates

Record Breaker
Okayyyyyy..........tall, Southern accent. Came from a reality show but rose above it.

Ooh, good thought, Scrufflet. Clay Aiken is a possibility, though I don't think of him as a redhead. He does indeed have a wonderful voice.

noskates

Record Breaker
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner folks. And yes, he IS a redhead. In fact his natural color is very red, and he has freckles everywhere (or at least as far as you can see) :p About 6 years ago he performed in Las Vegas at one of those Disson Christmas shows with Todd Eldredge, Sasha Cohen, etc. It was kind of fun to see my two obsessions, skating and Clay, in the same arena. At the end of the show he was skating around the rink with Sasha Cohen and it was a real "Mutt and Jeff" moment. He's 6'1" tall and she's whatever she is - short!

But when he was in Toronto he performed at Canada Place? I think that's what it was called. Kind of an amusement park, family place? My only regret is I didn't take the time to see the city itself. My travel companion is from Louisiana and she made it back to New Orleans right before they closed the airport because of Hurricane Katrina.

Getting back to Kurt, is anyone planning on seeing Stars on Ice this year?

Last edited:

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner folks. And yes, he IS a redhead. In fact his natural color is very red, and he has freckles everywhere (or at least as far as you can see) :p About 6 years ago he performed in Las Vegas at one of those Disson Christmas shows with Todd Eldredge, Sasha Cohen, etc. It was kind of fun to see my two obsessions, skating and Clay, in the same arena. At the end of the show he was skating around the rink with Sasha Cohen and it was a real "Mutt and Jeff" moment. He's 6'1" tall and she's whatever she is - short!

But when he was in Toronto he performed at Canada Place? I think that's what it was called. Kind of an amusement park, family place? My only regret is I didn't take the time to see the city itself. My travel companion is from Louisiana and she made it back to New Orleans right before they closed the airport because of Hurricane Katrina.

Getting back to Kurt, is anyone planning on seeing Stars on Ice this year?

It was probably Ontario Place, down on the waterfront. Funny I don't recall him being there.
Yes, I am going to SOI. On-ice seats so maybe this time I will get to shake Kurt's hand! I can live and dream! I'll keep going for as long as his knees hold up!

It was probably Ontario Place, down on the waterfront. Funny I don't recall him being there.
Yes, I am going to SOI. On-ice seats so maybe this time I will get to shake Kurt's hand! I can live and dream! I'll keep going for as long as his knees hold up!

Scruff, you lucky ducky. I hope you do get to shake his hand, but even if you don't, getting to see him will make your hands shake more than enough anyway. May his knees have the strength of ten people's knees for many years to come, and may you get to see all his performances.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was thinking of Clay Aiken, but wasn't sure. We attended SOI in Hershey, PA on New Year's Eve. I always bring my international flags to wave for the international skaters. So, I brought my Canadian flag for Kurt, Joannie, Shawn, and Jeff B.(just in case we happened to see him there). At the end of the Beatles' Come Together program, I waved my Canadian flag for Kurt, who was standing pretty close to our seats. Kurt saw my flag, "borrowed" it, waved it, pretended to stick it in the back pocket of his (p)leather (?) pants (the pants didn't have any pockets), and then he returned it to me.

noskates, do spend time in Toronto! So much to do/see there - The CN Tower, attend a concert at Roy Thompson Hall (I would :love: to see Gordon @ one of his Massey Hall concerts), the theatre (we saw "Miss Saigon" there). Ontario Place is fun in the summer. I :love: the whole waterfront area, taking the ferry boat to the Toronto Islands, catch a baseball game at the Rogers' Centre (when we were there last, it was still called the Skydome - we toured it), The Royal Ontario Museum, the Bata Shoe Museum, the Toronto Zoo, The Ontario Science Centre, The Hockey Hall of Fame, Casa Loma, Chinatown ...

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
iluvtodd - I would love to spend time in Toronto but it isn't financially feasible at this point. I live in California! SOI used to come to Oakland, CA every year and then it kind of moved around to San Jose or Sacramento. I live in the Sierra Foothills about 90 minutes from Sacramento and quite a ways away from Oakland or San Jose. I also have found the tickets to be ridiculously expensive. I kind of stopped making the effort when Kurt was only skating SOI in some cities. and none of them were close to me. He was the "draw" for me! Quite honestly there were some skaters who I was just very, very tired of watching. And the tour didn't attract the headliners as much as it used to.

BUT - I am going to Nationals in Boston next year! Can hardly wait since it's an Olympic year. Went to Nationals in San Jose last year, which was an easy trip. Figure skating is just getting wayyyyyyyyyy too expensive though.

If I can find "Jump" I would be glad to loan it to anyone. I'll post in here if I find the book. I've moved a couple of times since I read it and it could be anywhere.

Coriana

On the Ice
I'm going to SOI too, but will be in the relatively cheap seats. I have sat in Ice Seats and really loved the experience , but it was chilly round the feet.

Coriana, I haven't seen you around before. Welcome to GS! Have fun at SOI, and take notes so you can tell us about it. (That goes for you as well, Scrufflet!)

Coriana

On the Ice
Thanks very much.

I 've been reading various forums for ages, but only recently found the nerve to post. Co-incidentally, I also was a big fan of Stan and Garnet. I met Stan once briefly in Winnipeg, thrugh the people who used to run the big folk festival.

spikydurian

Medalist
It was kind of fun to see my two obsessions, skating and Clay, in the same arena.
Gee, I didn't know we share yet another interest, noskates! :biggrin: I have stopped watching American Idol but at that time when Clay Atkin was a competitor, I was rooting for him! I love his version of Mack the Knife and Bridge over Troubled Water. I have his first CD. :)

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Thanks very much.

I 've been reading various forums for ages, but only recently found the nerve to post. Co-incidentally, I also was a big fan of Stan and Garnet. I met Stan once briefly in Winnipeg, thrugh the people who used to run the big folk festival.

Welcome aboard! Post long and often, as they say! It took me a long time to start posting too. Glad to know there are other old folkies here.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Wow. Some of us do have the same taste. Another Aiken fan here. Just this morning I told a friend about my Hat Trick For Patrick campaign, and that Patrick also once got a pair of panties thrown on ice.Then I brought up Clay Aiken who had red tongs thrown at him on stage during the AI tour. When he came to Toronto, Claynadians threw him a red onesie on the back of which was printed "100% Genuine Canadian Winter Tong". :laugh:

Spiky, you should get Clay's On My Way Here Album, one of the unrecognized best albums ever. His first one sold well because of the AI momentum but it was in no way near the quality of OMWH.

This is turning into a nice chat thread. :)

Coriana

On the Ice
There was acutally a campaign or at least a suggestion - I've forgotten where -perhaps not even a forum, to throw Patrick panties when he turned 21- i.e Grown up, not a kid who needed stuffed toys anymore. I believe it was last year National's, or the Grand Prix in Quebec, because I know I was there. More than one pair arrived on the ice in clear plantic wrap, and some flat packages that looked the right size. I remember PAtrick saw a pair and did a double take, but the little girls got the others. It was amusing, but (dare I say it,) in my day, the whole point of throwing panties at Tom Jones or Bruce Springsteen or whoever (not Stan) was that one took them off and threw them. That kind of thing would not be appropriate in a cold arena with these young skaters, and therefore I thought it a little lame. A Kurt show, on the other hand.....

Thanks very much.

I am soooo jealous.

I would like to say that I have had two encounters with Judy Collins. One was years ago after a concert, very brief and stammering on my part, and another was when she was traveling around to promote her book a few years ago. I was at a bookstore when she gave her presentation, which included reminiscences and some singing. I was astounded to hear how well maintained her voice is. She ended with an a cappella rendition of "Amazing Grace" and invited everyone to sing along. I was way, way in the back, so I felt confident enough to join in. So in a way I've gotten to sing with Judy Collins. (Thank God she couldn't hear me.)

SF, I love that phrase a hat trick for Patrick. What a great play on words. Whoever thought that up must have been so jazzed by the idea.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
SF, I love that phrase a hat trick for Patrick. What a great play on words. Whoever thought that up must have been so jazzed by the idea.

I started the campaign on Patrick's thread and hopefully there will be hats raining down if he wins his third Worlds title in Canada. :)

BTW, Kurt is a big hat lover, so much so his wife complains about they taking up too much room in the house. :biggrin:

It was your pun? I thought it might be. It's very felicitous.

That's cute about Kurt and his hat collection. It made me smile at the end of a long and strenuous work day.